Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

I posted concerning McCaskill in Hempstead county where I a thinking of buying some pasture land. No replies but how about someone telling me about President Clinton's hometown, Hope. It is the county seat of Hempstead. Would that be a good place to retire if one had land investments in the area? I would think there would be good medical in Texarkana for complicated issues and that is not too far away. Hope has a community college. Does it have a Starbucks? What's it like?

Thanks for any help,

Kurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Talking Opps! I checked earlier posts and please disregard thread

I have not been on the forum for a while. I should have checked the earlier threads on Hope, Arkansas. I think I have the skinny on that town for now. God Bless.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 AM

818 posts, read 916,916 times
Hope is quite small, not much to do there . I don't think they have a Starbucks. They do have a Walmart and a few chain fast food joints. the area does have some beautiful cattle and chicken farms with small rolling hills. Texarkana is where most people go for health care. The crime is about what you get in most of the southern states. Most people have large watch dogs , locked gates when they leave for town, etc to keep their property protected. It helps if you have a good neighbor that can be trusted to help keep watch.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 PM

Default Howdy, Hunt/Fish: No lattes in southwest Arkansas

Nice of you to answer my post. No, I don't think it is "latte" country. More Jack Daniels and Beer or good strong coffee if you are a church-goer! I gather Texarkana is the place for medical. There is also no state income tax in Texas. Own land in Arkansas as property taxes are low. They are high in Texas. But living in Texas avoids the income tax on stuff not made in Arkansas. As I am near 65 with a few medical issues I might locate there and use the pastureland as a retreat. Maybe build a little cabin on the spring-fed pond that is advertised. Where do you live now? Are you still in the area? I will visit the real estate listing around Dec. 18 and see it for myself. I think I can pick it up at a good price if I make a halfway decent offer.

Kurt

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
If you are from Hope, you could become President of the United States.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
I agree that the few posters on this thread know more about this small southern town than I do so I would just take everyone else's opinion. I have been near the area but I don't think I have been through there and If I have I do not remember anything about it. I know areas not too far from there are densely forested with lots of southern pines and mixtures of southern pine forests, hardwood forests. I also remember the general area as I described in my opinion as being scenic and picturesque. I like trees and southern pines and many other kinds of trees that grow in that area are many of my very favorite kinds. I am originally from that region of the country and feel that the deep south is a very attractive part of America.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Default I love pine trees, too.

IsleofPalms: Do you now live in Florida like me? I grew up in the piney woods of Northern Minnesota. And whenever I travel to northern Louisiana and southcentral Arkansas it reminds me of home. I think there are more hardwoods or leafy trees in Hempstead County. But they do grow pines, although the area is subject to drought. Bermuda and Bahia grasses do grow and that is why I am looking a pastureland.

Kurt

Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 AM

818 posts, read 916,916 times
Kurt, I live about an hour south of there. I pass through from time to time. You might also look for property near Hot Springs or East Texas west of Texarkana. Shop till you find a good deal. They should be out there.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Hot Springs is an interesting area, and its touristy, but I suspect it is easy to access well water based solely on the "mountain that cries". In the city park, water runs 24/7 in the water fountains; it's free for the taking. And it is beautiful country.

You can find farm and stock stores, big box, grocery, dollar stores, hospital, restaurants, along with the obligatory tourist traps. Sometimes the weather can be real gnarly. A lady friend had the same idea as you. She built a tso story house with a loafing shed for her horse and feed, and a garage for car and riding mover under it. Cut the expense and work in half with one level and one roof.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Kurt, I did not respond to this Post because it has been a while since I have been in Hope, but it is/was primarily a livestock and logging community. They have/had a large livestock sale barn. They also have/had a small hospital. And as you have already noted, it is only a short drive down Interstate 30 to Texarkana. As has already been noted, they have a Wal-Mart, and grocery and hardware stores, a well stocked farm supply store, several eating places of varying quality and also several motels of varying quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas