Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:45 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times

Advertisements

Thanks Jim Nelson, that's very nice of you! But at this point it's "afar off" for any solid plans to move to Arkansas, so I wouldn't want you to go to that much trouble.

About those gates...what I'm wondering is....is there actually a fence around the whole acres and acres of Village? 'Cause if there's not, I'm wondering what purpose the gates serve.

I think having to stop at the gate every time I went in or out might grate on my nerve after a while. Of course, if I lived there, I wouldn't want to leave very much, if it's as pretty as it seems to be. Stock up on groceries and toiletries and just stay in. I'm a homebody anyway. And anytime I wanted to get out in the great outdoors and see lakes and streams and woods and hills, it's right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 PM

340 posts, read 516,133 times
Sounds like you need to visit the Village before you go any further.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Sounds like you need to visit the Village before you go any further.
I hope to be able to do that within the next year. But how do visitors get in?

What I'd like to do is rent a condo in the Village and look around a couple of days, besides doing the "touristy" things in HS with the "kids" (one just graduated from college and the other just finished her first semester, so they're not actually kids).

Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM

288 posts, read 1,079,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
About those gates...what I'm wondering is....is there actually a fence around the whole acres and acres of Village? 'Cause if there's not, I'm wondering what purpose the gates serve.
There isn't a fence around HSV. The purpose of the gates is to keep out (almost) everyone who doesn't have a reason to be here... members, guests, employees of local businesses, etc. It is one of the main reasons there isn't much property crime. Within the last year, video cameras have been added.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 AM

288 posts, read 1,079,905 times
Quote:
I hope to be able to do that within the next year. But how do visitors get in?

What I'd like to do is rent a condo in the Village and look around a couple of days, besides doing the "touristy" things in HS with the "kids" (one just graduated from college and the other just finished her first semester, so they're not actually kids).
If you rent a condo, you will get access. You can also get access through a Realtor, or I can help you.

For the "kids", there are lake beaches, outdoor pool, golf, tennis, fitness center, trail hiking, etc. In the summer, there are some organized activities for kids such as Junior golf, but most of those are targeted at the younger crowd (grandkids visiting).

Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:

I think having to stop at the gate every time I went in or out might grate on my nerve after a while. Of course, if I lived there, I wouldn't want to leave very much, if it's as pretty as it seems to be.
Locals don't need to stop at the gate. They have a sticker or a card that allows them to drive by it. If you live there, you will probably need to drive past the gates to go grocery shopping. Sadly, there aren't many stores inside HSV, although there are some office buildings that have doctors, dentists, etc.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 AM

The reason I say you need to visit is that you'll get a lot of misinformation and bad perceptions of the Village from people who have never been here. The gates for instance, not an issue at all. If you live here you get a sticker for your windshield and don't even have to stop at the gate. If you have a visitor, you call ahead to the gate or enter their name in an online system and they get a temporary pass. Once you have the pass you don't have to stop either, just leave it on your dash.

You can get a lot of information online, and more at the visitor center. But beware of the realtors at the visitor center, it's a lot like walking into a car dealership. But there is a lot of good info to be had there.

We've only been here about six months, and have already had a lot of company. Everyone has liked it here, some loved it. The only real drawback for us is that it's several miles just to get to the gate, and while there are plenty of stores near the west gate, it takes longer to get TO the gate, than from the gate to Wal Mart, hardware store, etc.

There is very little retail in the village, but there are plenty of restaurants and activities. Also there are clubs in the village for about any interest, I joined a fishing club and my wife has joined a club that does yoga.

Come see for yourself.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
. The only real drawback for us is that it's several miles just to get to the gate....
Yes, that's the impression I got from looking at the curvy roads on the map....and also from a review of a rental on Trip Advisor....they said it took them 20 min. just to get in and out every time. I've been keeping that in mind since then, when I look at condos for rent. I think I've found some good ones in the Castellon Courts neighborhood, and it looks to be only 2-3 miles from the west gate. Thanks for your input!

Thanks to everyone else also who have answered.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM

When I rented a house here, it was 8 miles from the west gate. After that experience we limited our house hunting to homes nearer one of the main gates. We ended up 3 miles from the west gate.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
When I rented a house here, it was 8 miles from the west gate. After that experience we limited our house hunting to homes nearer one of the main gates. We ended up 3 miles from the west gate.
You would think that absolutely no one would want anything that far away from the gate, but I suppose people who are truly retired and just want to play golf or tennis every day and do nothing else wouldn't care how long it takes them to get out?

Seems like the houses nearer the gates would be more expensive, but I haven't really seen that in my real estate searches in the Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas