Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:46 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Conway has had a gay pride parade for 11 years. I'm supposed to meet my friend there when we get a chance to check out the town.
I did not know that. I know Conway is also a big college town and home of Hendrix, so I guess its not surprising.

I was surprised that Little Rock didn't have a more organized and longer-running gay pride.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Has anyone seen the FB comments on THV, KARK and KATV? The amount of ignorance in those comments threads are astounding and render me speechless. I cringe at the ignorance with with some of these people post.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,927 times
the "trick" of labeling every person not supporting the homosexual lifestyle as "ignorant "........bigoted, or homophobic is starting to get old quick.

Also labeling every church that doesn't sanction gay marriage as........" a church of hate "

Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Has anyone seen the FB comments on THV, KARK and KATV? The amount of ignorance in those comments threads are astounding and render me speechless. I cringe at the ignorance with with some of these people post.
What is seen as "ignorance" by some in Arkansas is also seen as " having morals" by others in Arkansas.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 PM

There seems to be a small minority that is really upset about this. I can't say I've encountered too many people in my life who give a frick about the whole deal, except for gays who are happy to be able to get married.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
here's the latest

AR Supreme Court Denies Motion To Stop Same-Sex Marriages - Local News, Weather, Sports, and Community for Central Arkansas

LITTLE ROCK, AR -- The Arkansas Supreme Court denied a motion from the state to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

However, in a seven page ruling (see attached), justices did not provide specific guidance to county clerks on how to handle same-sex licenses when offices reopen Thursday.

In its ruling, the Supreme Court said the lower court "did not rule on the constitutionality of Ark. Code Ann. $ 9-11-208(b), which forbids circuit court clerks from issuing marriage licenses to persons of the same sex."

---------------------------------

It's going through and will be a non-issue. I never thought I'd see our state get to the "progressive" point, so it's all good! ( but I think I'll pass on marrying my computer )

Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 PM

6 letters to the editor in today's Little Rock Democrat Gazette

ALL on the topic of gay marriage.

1 in favor of gay marriage
5 opposed to gay marriage.

I always said judging sentiment by how people respond on the internet is the worst way to judge public sentiment over all.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 PM

mod cut "letters to the editor" are a good sample of the sentiment of the people of Arkansas. Nobody under the age of 50 even reads newspapers.

Eventually SCOTUS will rule on this making it a moot point. Those who oppose are seeking to deprive fellow citizens equal protection under the law DUE TO THEIR OWN PREJUDICES or religious beliefs.

As they say here in Arkansas, that dog won't hunt. Relax, it isn't injuring you in any way.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-15-2014 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: don't make it personal

Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Congratulations to my gay/lesbian comrades in Arkansas for being able to wed the one you love! I can only hope Pennsylvania joins you all before too long! We're already the only Northeastern state that doesn't permit it, and from what I hear Ohio and Virginia are both fairly close to legalizing it, which would make us the only state in the Northeast AND Mid-Atlantic (besides West Virginia) that doesn't have marriage equality.

I really wish people would stop saying they "don't agree with homosexuality". That's like saying "I don't agree with ginger kids". I spent many years bawling my eyes out, trying to hurt myself, praying, and so much else because after a rigid Protestant upbringing I was led to believe that homosexuals were evil, sinful creatures that were bound for Hell. No matter what I did, including "dating" and trying to consummate relationships with two different females it never worked. I always lusted for members of the same gender not only physically but also emotionally and socially, too. Short of castrating myself and practicing a lifestyle of loneliness and solitude in order to appease a higher being that may or may not hate gay people there's no way to "ungay" me.

One's sexual orientation isn't a choice. For those who believe it is, can I ask you when you first made the conscious decision to feel attracted to a member of the opposite sex and made the conscious decision to prefer that attraction over any attraction towards members of the same sex? You can't. Why? It's innate. It's part of your biological chemistry. I'm confident more scientific research will eventually determine that sexual orientation is no different from eye color, height, hair color, complexion, etc. When that revelation DOES occur I expect an apology from the right-wing.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
What is seen as "ignorance" by some in Arkansas is also seen as " having morals" by others in Arkansas.
And that's exactly why those people with "morals" ARE ignorant. To force people to be unhappy and to deny them basic human rights because they don't live the lifestyle YOU choose is absolutely ridiculous. mod cut If you aren't gay, don't marry a gay person. It really, truly is as simple as that. It is not up to you to tell someone else they can;t marry the person they love simply because you disagree with it. Again I say, it's absolutely ridiculous and makes 0 sense. I'm glad the judiciary is finally doing something about it.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-15-2014 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: hijacking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas