Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,231 times

Advertisements

I was just curious what the employment industry in all sectors, it if was slowing down?

My husband and I recently were checking into relocating into Northwest Arkansas, but have called every employer in his field in the area and have gotten either no call back, the company has layed a person off, or not hiring at the moment...

So I was just curious what the overall employment outlook was in Arkansas in general.

Thanks for your replies in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Central AR seems fine and growing but it's got a much broader industrial base than does NWA. NWA just doesn't have the range of options which is why I've always been very concerned about the economy up there. I'd much rather live there but there just aren't many jobs for me up there.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM

That is what I was thinking Stormcrow, thanks you your reply...

I guess it is more of a place for retirees

Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM

44 posts, read 173,704 times
Default Good question

That's a good question. Could you tell me what type of employment you are looking for and I will research it for you? I have access to some reports that may help.

art
My husband and I recently were checking into relocating into Northwest Arkansas, but have called every employer in his field in the area and have gotten either no call back, the company has layed a person off, or not hiring at the moment...

So I was just curious what the overall employment outlook was in Arkansas in general.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Northwest Arkansas consistently has low unemployment, I wouldn't characterize it just as an area to retire. But Wal-Mart, Tyson and J B Hunt dominate the business landscape. There are industries here, there's Glad and Bekaert and Wood Specialty and Daisy and several others. Construction has taken a hit because of the mortgage crisis, but there is still alot of commercial construction going on and road construction. I think it would be easier to answer you if we knew what kind of jobs you are looking for. That said, I will say that alot of people who move here are disappointed with wages. Generally, the pay scale in Arkansas is low; Little Rock and its surrounding areas and Northwest Arkansas have the highest pay scales in the state, but chances are that the pay will be less than you are used to. The cost of living is supposed to balance this out, I've lived in other places and found some things to cost less, some things more, so I think it all depends on personal experience.

DC

Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
That is what I was thinking Stormcrow, thanks you your reply...

I guess it is more of a place for retirees
NO NO certainly not! I certainly wasn't meaning to imply that. There are lots of very high tech companies there but they're very small and almost entirely hire out of the university. The mass production manufacturers aren't huge but they do employ a lot of people. But a lot of these companies also try to hire local first and they don't advertise a lot. As DC said, unemployment there is very low so lots of these places have applications and resumes on file from walk ups.

It certainly would help if maybe you told us what industry you're looking for and we could probably tell you straight out if it's there or not.

For me personally, I'm a high tech knowledge industry worker so the companies there that would need someone like me usually use grad students. They don't cost nearly so much.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 PM

sorry for the misinterpretation storm crow... I do not know much about southern states. My husband was born in Louisiana, and has family in Arkansas.

He's in HVAC and is a service Tech. I know housing was slowing there and prices have droped as it has in many states.

Thanks for the replies so far, was trying to get a feel for what the economy was like there.

I do know about Tyson, and the chicken industry there... but that was about it...

Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
sorry for the misinterpretation storm crow... I do not know much about southern states. My husband was born in Louisiana, and has family in Arkansas.

He's in HVAC and is a service Tech. I know housing was slowing there and prices have droped as it has in many states.

Thanks for the replies so far, was trying to get a feel for what the economy was like there.

I do know about Tyson, and the chicken industry there... but that was about it...

My husband works in the construction industry (he is an electrician), Commercial and Industrial and at least on that side of the spectrum there is at this point no end in sight for commercial work. Housing has slowed as far as new construction is concerned but houses are still being built. The big problem is/was they built a bunch of houses for "big wigs" and most people that live in NWA are middle class to upper middle class. Most people in NWA can afford homes in the 100-300 thousand dollar range not the $400,000-and up range.

Pretty much all the schools systems are building new schools or are adding on to existing schools or are updating existing schools etc. My husband works for an electrical company that is in big with the schools and they literally have jobs lined up for years.

There is alot more than just Tyson and the chicken industry in NWA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas