Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times

Advertisements

I knew that there were some pros and cons about moving to Arkansas, but one of the Cons that I failed to take into consideration was the cost to fly out of Arkansas. I have lived in Atlanta and Denver and I stupidly assumed that prices would be in line with those places. I say stupidly, because arkansas should not be in line because of the size of the airports.

However, I was shocked over the weekend with the cost of a flight to Atlanta. I needed to go to a funeral in Atlanta and looking on Expedia and Orbitz I found my flight was going to cost $1,000 to fly out of Fort Smith and take over 7 and 1/2 hours. I looked at Fayetteville and it was about the same price. I considered Tulsa and although it was a $150 cheaper that did not justify the time I would have to drive there since there would still be a connector flight required so the time would still be about 6 1/2 hours to fly, but then you would have to add another 5 hrs to drive there and back. Little Rock was $200 cheaper but then I had the same reason for not flying out of there as I did Tulsa.

I looked up flights from Dallas and Denver to Atlanta...$300. I just aggravates the crap out of me that I would have to pay three times more to fly out of Fayetteville or Fort Smith and it was not much better even if I drove for 2 1/2 hours.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I knew that there were some pros and cons about moving to Arkansas, but one of the Cons that I failed to take into consideration was the cost to fly out of Arkansas. I have lived in Atlanta and Denver and I stupidly assumed that prices would be in line with those places. I say stupidly, because arkansas should not be in line because of the size of the airports.

However, I was shocked over the weekend with the cost of a flight to Atlanta. I needed to go to a funeral in Atlanta and looking on Expedia and Orbitz I found my flight was going to cost $1,000 to fly out of Fort Smith and take over 7 and 1/2 hours. I looked at Fayetteville and it was about the same price. I considered Tulsa and although it was a $150 cheaper that did not justify the time I would have to drive there since there would still be a connector flight required so the time would still be about 6 1/2 hours to fly, but then you would have to add another 5 hrs to drive there and back. Little Rock was $200 cheaper but then I had the same reason for not flying out of there as I did Tulsa.

I looked up flights from Dallas and Denver to Atlanta...$300. I just aggravates the crap out of me that I would have to pay three times more to fly out of Fayetteville or Fort Smith and it was not much better even if I drove for 2 1/2 hours.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this subject.
When you book short-term, the prices do tend to be inordinately higher. Which is why, when it's something like a funeral, you can contact the airline and negotiate a "grievance" rate. Airlines will discount fares for family emergencies, though they do require some documentation. The documentation depends on the family emergency and on the airline, so you do need to contact the airline directly.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Allegient Air flies out of XNA and I know they offer a couple of nonstop flights into Mesa AZ (suburb of Phoenix) each week. You might check their website and see what other cities they service. I know the selection of flights is hardly convenient, but the price is good.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When you book short-term, the prices do tend to be inordinately higher. Which is why, when it's something like a funeral, you can contact the airline and negotiate a "grievance" rate. Airlines will discount fares for family emergencies, though they do require some documentation. The documentation depends on the family emergency and on the airline, so you do need to contact the airline directly.
I have never heard of a grievance rate. Well I hope I will never have the need of that again, but I am certain that I will. Thank you for the information. I will check on that. It is a 10 hr drive that I really don't want to have to make again.

Nice to hear from you again D.C.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Allegient Air flies out of XNA and I know they offer a couple of nonstop flights into Mesa AZ (suburb of Phoenix) each week. You might check their website and see what other cities they service. I know the selection of flights is hardly convenient, but the price is good.
I actually have looked at that before. Someone else told me that they have cheaper prices. The only problem is that they only go to Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando and Phoenix. IF you are looking to go to any of those places it would be at good prices; unfortunately, I really don't want to go to any of those places.

The cities with all of my relatives are Denver, Atlanta, and Dallas. You would not think these would be so expensive to fly to because they are so large, but just not the case from Arkansas.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I looked at cost differences if I were to book several months in advance. The price does go down significantly to 425 for non stop; however that is still substantially higher than the 278 I was paying out of Denver and when you add two family members it adds up quickly 1275 compared to 834.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM

119 posts, read 346,176 times
There was a wsj article a few years about how expensive xna is, and the main reason cited was the large proportion of price-insensitive business travelers. That's still valid I'm sure.

In my experience they price fares right at the point where it's not worth the hassle and expense of driving to Tulsa.

One other option is Priceline. If you can live with their rather onerous itinerary rules you can often save 50% off the lowest published fares, even out of XNA.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotive View Post
There was a wsj article a few years about how expensive xna is, and the main reason cited was the large proportion of price-insensitive business travelers. That's still valid I'm sure.

In my experience they price fares right at the point where it's not worth the hassle and expense of driving to Tulsa.

One other option is Priceline. If you can live with their rather onerous itinerary rules you can often save 50% off the lowest published fares, even out of XNA.
I will take your word for why it is so expensive. I just know that it is. We always go to Denver in the Winter and we have to fly out of Tulsa. It is literally a couple of hundred cheaper per ticket...2 and 1/2 hour drive is worth $600 savings. I just hate having to drive.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
hotair2, this is no help to you, but just for the sake of conversation, at one time there was a shuttle bus from Little Rock to Memphis airport because of the difference in cost of fare. As someone posted above, it appears they charge whatever they think they can get by with.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:42 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,879 times
Something I always thought was funny about flying out of XNA is that it's usually cheaper to connect to another airport instead of having a direct flight. If I want to go to Houston it's a direct flight that can cost $800. However, if I want to go to Austin then it could connect thru Houston but only cost $300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas