Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Krebs View Post
Crime is bad here. I am so happy that your crime rate is so low. I was looking at statistics and couldn't find any crime, so I thought it was in error. Glad I was wrong.

I know the ice can be quite treacherous and dangerous, so we shut down here because of that. I work out of the house so I get to watch the snow fall and enjoy it some before I have to shovel it. It sounds similar to what we experience here with snow. Some years are worse than others.

I was reading about tornadoes in Arkansas. Do you experience a lot of those? Do you also have to buy special tornado insurance as well?

Thank you for helping me with these questions.
OK, here goes my take on Tornados and AR. We have lived here for 8 tornado seasons and have never had anything resembling a damaging tornado. The closest was the horrible Joplin tornado about 5 years ago. It did a lot of wind damage here in BV, which is only about 35 miles from Joplin. We have had the warning phone call a few times, but that is as close as they have gotten. Remember, tornados, like any other storms come in different catagories, most doing no damage to speak of. Some parts of AR get more tornados than other parts, but NWA isn't one of them. Remember I am generalizing. They can happen, just like in your area it is possible to get damage from Hurricanes.

Some people do invest in storm shelters. I am guessing 95% do nothing. I could be wrong. The theory here is: tornados are not as likely in hilly areas. Whether this is true depends on who you talk to. Some people here will say, based on studies this isn't true: others will say based on studies it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM

33 posts, read 44,531 times
That would make sense... hilly areas are less prone to tornado activity... that is true. Not totally immune, but... I am sure it has happened at times.

Well, I just need to grab hubby and get out to NWA soon. I would love to take a peek at BV as well as Eureka Springs. My only other question would be shopping at places like Walmart or Target. Every once in a while I need to find a Target or Walmart for printer ink or a birthday card. Is there one close to either location that you know of?

Thank you again. This is all so helpful.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM

33 posts, read 44,531 times
I do have to admit... I have 4 homes in BV bookmarked that I am absolutely in love with. I have been looking at the listings daily and really like what I am seeing.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,768,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Krebs View Post
My only other question would be shopping at places like Walmart or Target. Every once in a while I need to find a Target or Walmart for printer ink or a birthday card. Is there one close to either location that you know of?
You are never far from a Wal Mart in NW Arkansas.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:33 PM

4,611 posts, read 6,388,293 times
If I were a vegan looking for a place to live that would enhance my access to fresh produce, I would choose a location with a longer growing season...what is drawing you towards Arkansas...? Frost dates trigger the growing season....Fayetteville, AR 72702....
The further north you go, the shorter the fresh produce/farmers market season is.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-07-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If I were a vegan looking for a place to live that would enhance my access to fresh produce, I would choose a location with a longer growing season...what is drawing you towards Arkansas...? Frost dates trigger the growing season....Fayetteville, AR 72702....
The further north you go, the shorter the fresh produce/farmers market season is.

Regards
Gemstone1
of course this is true, but the op is not choosing her retirement center on a growing season. I think she is just curious as to what is available. There are really not many areas with a long growing season other than maybe AZ and So Cal plus Florida. we have lived in NM and VA; neither have a longer season that we have here. Of course you can always plant cold weather produce and have a much longer season.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:21 AM

"but the op is not choosing her retirement center"...thus my question about the "attraction to AR"....is it a desire for a cheaper lifestyle, a safer environment, is it politics, is it weather, all of the above......or is one more important than all others.
However, the conversation did start about being vegan friendly, and a vegan lifestyle being medically important as well a spiritually....

As for vegan friendly/vegan lifestyle...there must be hundreds of locations that fit that criterion better than NWA.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,768,889 times
I think what Nita was saying was that the OP was not choosing her retirement center based solely on a growing season. The OP is trying to choose a "retirement center", as Nita knew because the OP has already started one thread asking about retirement towns.

retirement towns

Old 10-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"but the op is not choosing her retirement center"...thus my question about the "attraction to AR"....is it a desire for a cheaper lifestyle, a safer environment, is it politics, is it weather, all of the above......or is one more important than all others.
However, the conversation did start about being vegan friendly, and a vegan lifestyle being medically important as well a spiritually....

As for vegan friendly/vegan lifestyle...there must be hundreds of locations that fit that criterion better than NWA.

Regards
Gemstone1
you would be correct if this was her only post, but she is looking for a retirement location. The Vegan part she added later. I understand you did not read that thread. For those of us who have been following her questions, like luvarkansas, you would realize why our responses have been what they have. I could have missed something but I don't see where she mentioned anything about her Vegan lifestyle having anything to do with spirtuality.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:35 PM

"the most important factor in my life is being vegan and finding others who are also. I have to eat this way for health reasons, as well as it being a personal choice". Perhaps I was reading between the lines ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas