Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh yes, every situation is different and I'm just relaying our personal experience for our situation. In our case, Arkansas overall cost of living was significantly higher than it would be in northeast Texas.

You bring up a good point - Arkansas is a good fit for retirees/seniors often. I agree with that. That's because of the lower income of seniors and retirees for the most part. People with lower, fixed incomes may find that Arkansas overall is less expensive, but that's what I mean by the state seeming to cater to a lower income situation. With higher incomes (which would be good for the Arkansas economy in general), that state income tax quickly offsets and surpasses other elements that might be lower in cost. IN our case the difference was $7000 or more a year increase. That was simply not realistic for us. I mean, I like Arkansas, and some people might consider it worth $7000 more a year to live in Arkansas but personally I would rather spend that money on vacation or put it in a retirement account!

I mean, I can use part of that $7000 in savings to go to Arkansas for vacation! Arkansas has a lot of natural beauty and I like so much about it. It's a shame it wasn't financially feasible for us to move there.

But that's OK - we love Tyler, Texas. Thanks for the compliments - we do think it's a really pleasant area of the country. For what it's worth, I'm glad we live 1.5 hours AWAY from DFW. Nice place to go occasionally but I'd hate to live there!

My brother lives up near the Missouri border in northern Arkansas. It's gorgeous up there. I just hate he's so far away.
If your brother lives in the west part of AR, he probably could be our neighbor. We even do a lot of our grocery and wine shopping in MO.

I probably would have made a similar choice as you did over $7,000. I don't know. I do know we have a lot of retirees here, from all parts of the country that have chosen it partly based on col. And many of them are very financially able to live almost anywhere they choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
My friend, you need to have a look at your bill again.
Fayetteville charge 11.75% sales tax for restaurant.
9.75% regular sales tax and 2% just for cooked food.

For "average" price? I do not want to "average" price with a knockoff house $20,000 house in Springdale, because we know you will never live that kind of knock off house.
Holy Cow; you are making no sense what so ever. Average is just that, average and there are a lot of cities other than Fayetteville here in Washington/Benton county. As for sales tax on food, I must have missed something, did DC or anyone say they went to dinner in Fayetteville?

My guess you know you are losing your argument but are having fun fighting it to the bitter end.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:40 AM

240 posts, read 344,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"9.75% regular sales tax and 2% just for cooked food".....am I reading it wrong? I see 9.75% total sales tax
If you go to a restaurant in Fayetteville. Your sales tax is 11.75% rather than 9.75%.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
My friend, you need to have a look at your bill again.
Fayetteville charge 11.75% sales tax for restaurant.
9.75% regular sales tax and 2% just for cooked food.

For "average" price? I do not want to "average" price with a knockoff house $20,000 house in Springdale, because we know you will never live that kind of knock off house.
My friend, I have my bill right in front of me. And get this, I didn't eat in Fayetteville. I ate out in Rogers. It's amazing, I know. Other cities in Northwest Arkansas besides Fayetteville actually have restaurants. As has been pointed out to you, the sales tax varies from city to city.

As for average price, that's how comparisons are made. What you want is to diss Northwest Arkansas. We get it. And I actually respect your perspective, because Northwest Arkansas isn't for everyone, and it's got its fair share of problems. But facts are facts, as well. And you are playing with the facts.

As for comparing the Memphis real estate market with the Northwest Arkansas real estate market, home prices tend to be lower in Northwest Arkansas. As the chart embedded in the article linked below shows.

https://www.arkansaseconomist.com/?tag=home-prices

Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Quote:
If you go to a restaurant in Fayetteville. Your sales tax is 11.75% rather than 9.75%.
I see that now....I did not read far enough into the link...looks like an additional 2% added to restaurants/hotels/motels....

Old 02-12-2016, 09:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If your brother lives in the west part of AR, he probably could be our neighbor. We even do a lot of our grocery and wine shopping in MO.

I probably would have made a similar choice as you did over $7,000. I don't know. I do know we have a lot of retirees here, from all parts of the country that have chosen it partly based on col. And many of them are very financially able to live almost anywhere they choose.
When we retire it may be an option because we won't have to deal with such high state income taxes.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When we retire it may be an option because we won't have to deal with such high state income taxes.
This is probably the number one criticism I have heard: high income tax for people in the higher income brackets.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is probably the number one criticism I have heard: high income tax for people in the higher income brackets.
Yes, and it's a shame because what that can translate to is that the state attracts lower income people and discourages higher income people (who would spend more money in the state) from moving there. And then the commerce that would naturally develop around communities with bigger spenders just doesn't develop.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:35 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Does anyone know of people our age (30's,40's) with families who have moved to Arkansas from higher wage states and been successful? I could use some encouragement with my coffee this morning. Clock is ticking......

Old 02-13-2016, 02:21 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"9.75% regular sales tax and 2% just for cooked food".....am I reading it wrong? I see 9.75% total sales tax
Fayetteville puts restaurants in the same category as hotels-motels and when we were last there in January the Hotel/Motel/Restauant tax was indeed 11.75%.

Here in Texas the restaurant sales tax used to be 14% . In 2014, then Gov. Perry worked to roll it back to 6.7 for restaurant food and 8.25 for alcoholic beverages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas