Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 14,061 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are moving to Hot Springs in May or June, after 30 years in Central California. It´s the perfect town and setting for us in our "retirement": I write books (my best seller was a history of the Blues and the country that spawned the music), Jenny is an exceptional gardener and first rate computer person. We have visited, researched extensively and know pretty well what we can afford and want.

Now then: we can afford a single family home up to about $200k and want between 10000sf and an acre of wooded or otherwise natural lot. We prefer a close-to-town or in-town location -- we liked the area east of Malvern Ave across from the country club very much. But we also think the area just off Park (that Nat´l-Park-enclosed area behind the Majestic) is really neat, with a few provisos -- we have driven through HS in the morning, at noon and in the early evening without having come to a definitive conclusion about where we do not want to buy.

Where would we -- in our sixties, peaceful and quiet, studious, like to walk the neighborhood and take a bike to the market -- feel at home in your opinion? Where not? Any little enclaves we should know about?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 AM

288 posts, read 1,079,245 times
Take a look at the Trivista area on the east side of Central at the north end of the racetrack. Not sure that there are any groceries nearby though. In general, I don't think you'll find that Hot Springs is a good place to take a bike ride to the store.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Default No bike to store?

Thanks..... Trivista is way up there on our list -- the first four blocks of Right and Left, anyway. Good call. Why is HS not a good place to ride a bike? Too hilly, too much traffic, too far to the store?

Old 02-29-2008, 03:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
I'm pretty fond of the Quapaw-Prospect historic district.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSinMay View Post
Why is HS not a good place to ride a bike? Too hilly, too much traffic, too far to the store?
The roads are often congested with traffic and the street surface isn't so great. I don't recall any bike lanes but it could be that I've just not noticed. Distance could also be a factor.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM

292 posts, read 1,307,986 times
Moderator cut: orphaned wiki quote

I think that Hot Springs is a nice place to have a vacation, but I just wouldn't want to live there. I don't like the "atmosphere" of the actual town of Hot Springs (outside of the "touristy" area). I guess it would be ok for retired people (as in Hot Springs Village....but it's not actually in Hot Springs!), but I wouldn't want to raise children there. I don't mean to offend anyone who lives there and loves it!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-26-2008 at 02:05 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
I think there are dangerous crime ridden parts of Hot Springs, which kinda skew the statistics. The area just east of the convention center are a bit sketchy, as are parts of the area just north of downtown west of Park. But most of Hot Springs is very safe, and most of the people who live there feel safe.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Great. Thanks, folks, for the input. We´ll be in Hot Springs in a few weeks and make our decision then. HS for sure, where exactly is up in the air.
AND.... for someone who grew up in West Hollywood in the Fifties, lived in Pasadena and Arcadia, CA, and spent the last twenty in Santa Maria, right between LA and SF, the "high" crime rate in Hot Springs is not a deterrent: even once bucolic Santa Maria has become hard to live in, drugs are common currency in large parts of the city, and I would not live in a large California city anymore, even if real estate prices returned to decent levels.
So we are looking forward to many good years in Hot Springs. Thanks again for the information.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,310 times
It sounds like you'll be prepared for what we in Hot Springs consider "traffic congestion", having lived in Cal. Our PD seems to have a handle on drug traffic and crime. It may get worse as time goes by but I think we're in pretty good shape.

It would be a good idea to get in touch with a real estate company when you visit for the first time, as they'll be able to help you find what you need. There is still some awfully nice acreage for sale here and plenty of top notch builders to choose from. The fastest growing area of the county is 70 West; it has the largest school district. The Seven South area is where all the businesses are going in, restuarants and malls, etc. Traffic gets pretty hairy at four pm on Fridays. Highways are being widened to accomodate all of it and, if they do it right the first time, we REALLY appreciate it! We live off of Highway Seven South and it takes me less than ten minutes to get to the mall and the shops in that area.

There is a bike and walking trail off of Grand Avenue, on the East side of town not far from the Trivista area. Those homes are older and the race track is close by. There are tons of new garden homes, condos and townhouses going up in our county, including Legends, which is being built right behind my own community. Hot Springs traffic and the fact that we're pretty well spread out, means there won't be much biking to and from stores.

We have art galleries and fine restaurants in the Historic District, as well as The Poet's Loft and the Bath Houses, The Pocket Theater and other shows.
Once you learn your way around and how to avoid the traffic, Hot Springs is easy to navigate. Plus, we have LAKES for fishing and fun. The weather hasn't kept anyone from moving here that I know of and you DO get accustomed to the humidity.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I've been here since 1971 (from New Mexico) and this is where my husband and I will retire.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 AM

Again, thanks. It's getting close now, we will be in HS again in April, and it sure looks like a great time to buy. Sooooooooo........... we'll keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas