Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,798 times

Advertisements

Does it stink as bad where you are as it does here?? I very rarely get the download speeds I paid for. I've put up with this for close to two years now,and it hasn't gotten any better. I finally took the plunge and got off dial-up in January of last year,but my experience with cable internet has been far from fullfilling.

So how is it where you are?

I just wish we had more options for high speed internet here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Where are you, Allen? I had issues before - I'm in Russellvile - but there's higher speeds you can get and I don't think it really cost anything. I don't remember, I had to have it and would have paid whatever they asked. It's been pretty consistent lately - I guess you've run the upload and download speeds? The only time I have a hiccup is when I got through an intranet in Little Rock. Sometimes it will lag a bit, but not bad.

Have you called them? At one time I did, and I was raising holy hell...come to find out, there was a higher speed that had been put in but I wasn't on it - whatever that means.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 AM

I'm in Arkadelphia. I'm on their mid-grade package which is 8 megs down/500k up. The speed fluctuates wildlywhen I run a test. Right now the speeds are great because hardly anyone is using the internet at this time of the morning,but that's not always the case. Sometimes at peak usage hours speeds will be fine,but most of the time it's pretty slow.

I chalked it up to all the college kids and school kids being on the internet,but I see you don't have that problem even with Tech being there.

I've had Suddenlink here,but it's been a while. They've always been good customer-service wise,but the speeds still aren't too good.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I've never thought they were as good since Cox ceased to be. I have a personal gripe with their dispatchers for notifying on-call techs that take call on the weekends. I had a problem last weekend and apparently someone kept throwing my request away because I was the only one with a problem - hello, sorry I couldn't have caused a citywide problem! Well, maybe I got thrown out because the tech was busy with the Razorback game, who knows? Anyway, we ended up with a repairman at 10:00 at night because of poor communication between wherever the main office is at and the techs here. Be that as it may, I was informed that NO ONE works at Suddenlink except in the call center on Sundays, which I found a bit difficult to swallow but was assured repeatedly that it was true. C'mon, folks, I didn't fall off the turnip truck!

Our local office is great - much like everything else, it's when you end up in a call center in east Zimbabwe that you run into problems.

There is a definite difference in speed after 8 a.m. - I don't know about Arkadelphia, but in Russellville I wouldn't touch DSL through CenturyTel with a 10 foot pole. I'll just take my chances and roll with cable!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
I've had it in Arkadelphia and Jonesboro and I enjoy it about as much as I can. The uptime is MUCH better than it was as Cox. I used to call those people almost every week for something like two years. When they changed to Suddenlink somehow somewhere someone got their @#*$^ together. I think I lucked out in both places and lived near a ton of old people who don't know what the interwebs is fer so not many people munching bandwidth on my neighborhood switch.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 AM

I've always heard things were better when it was Cox. My parents live about 5 miles south of here,and they have the same package as me. Their computer is newer also,but looking at internet pages there is like flipping the pages in a book. I chalk that up to them probably being the only ones who have it near them.

I've checked into DSL with AT&T,but they can't match the speeds Suddenlink offers.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
I've always heard things were better when it was Cox. My parents live about 5 miles south of here,and they have the same package as me. Their computer is newer also,but looking at internet pages there is like flipping the pages in a book. I chalk that up to them probably being the only ones who have it near them.

I've checked into DSL with AT&T,but they can't match the speeds Suddenlink offers.
Sounds like Suddenlink can't deliver on their offer. Maybe you should give AT&T a try. I was really happy with their dsl here in Maumelle. Sometimes we got considerably less than advertised bandwidth but for the most part it was good. We're on Uverse now and it is AWESOME!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I'm in Texas, and Ive been fighting Suddenlink for 3 or 4 months for faster speeds. I'm paying for 8Mb. Some nights, I don't even get 800! There repariman has been here three times. Lst week, they said they had excluded every technical possibility except one: They confirmed that when I subsctibed I was given a special deal on the 8M, a the rate of the 4M, and there are two conflicting digital commands from the billing office telling my modem different speeds, and the two commands are dukng it out in my modem. They said the billing office would sort it out. That was 9 days ago, and nothing has changed,, and nobody has called me.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Well I did get the free upgrade to 8 megs,and that was a nice bonus. I never got close to 4 megs either though however.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
We have Earthlink. It's about 50 a month for wireless internet for the two laptos and the desktop we barely use.
We had a few hiccups when we first got it but it hardly EVER goes out. If it doesn't work, all we basically have to do is just restart our computer and the problem is fixed.
The speed is pretty good I'd say. It all depends on what you're downloading or what kind of videos you want to watch. I really love it, I just wish they offered higher speeds for the internet that doesn't require the phone line.

I conduct surveys for AT&T and let's just say their internet does not get fave reviews. I know everyone's experience is different. I looked up reviews on U-Verse online and SOOOO many people hate it.
With AT&T: Proceed with caution and skepticism.

I'm not sure about Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas