Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,788 times

Advertisements

Where are some great places for camping, whitewater rafting, fishing, etc in Arkansas? I live in Memphis, TN so Arkansas is not far from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 AM

763 posts, read 2,661,034 times
I don't know about white water but the White River and The Little Red River are mighty fine for fishing and camping. The Caddo River is pretty nice also.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,788 times
What part of Arkansas are they in?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:48 PM

763 posts, read 2,661,034 times
[SIZE=3]Canoeing vacations - Arkansas river rafting - kayaking Arkansas[/SIZE]
The variety of Arkansas river rafting adventures is remarkable, ranging from matchless trout fishing trips and rugged whitewater rafting to peaceful float ...
www.arkansas.com/outdoors/canoeing-rafting-kayaking/ - 28k

Try this.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 PM

171 posts, read 326,949 times
Default Buffalo River, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Where are some great places for camping, whitewater rafting, fishing, etc in Arkansas? I live in Memphis, TN so Arkansas is not far from me.
Try visiting the Buffalo River area. You can research it on the website. It is a protected national river. There are areas that you can rent equipment, etc. It's beautiful.

White River is always good for floating and fishing. Look at the Norfork River also. You can start in Southern Missouri, I think, and float into Arkansas.

There's lots of places to fish on the White River. There are companies that will supply all gear and boats, etc. Search around Cotter, Arkansas for excellent fishing. Bull Shoals Lake has lots of facilities. "Gaston's" is wonderful. They have a web site. It's a great place to stay. There is a small airport there at the location. They get people from all around the nation staying there. It's right on the river, and next to Bull Shoals. That would be my first pick.

Of course, I'm talking about Northern Arkansas. Enjoy!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM

350 posts, read 1,288,387 times
Buffalo wouldn't have enough whitewater to float. It tends to be a slower-paced but gorgeous river to float.

I'm a kayaker not a rafter but I would say for rafting the Cossatot River and Mulberry River are probably the ones that would be most fun for rafting.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

165 posts, read 524,533 times
I've never been on it but have heard that the Spring River in NEA has sections of whitewater. I also believe it is the only 'natural' cold water river in Arkansas. Might be worth a look.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM

171 posts, read 326,949 times
Default Headwaters for the Spring River

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognoxious View Post
I've never been on it but have heard that the Spring River in NEA has sections of whitewater. I also believe it is the only 'natural' cold water river in Arkansas. Might be worth a look.
Isn't the Spring River formed from the Mamoth Spring? It's been a while since I was there. It's really amazing at the amount of water (millions of gallons by the minute) comes straight up out of the ground. It forms sort of a lake-like area at the mouth of the sping. There's an old dam there, and the water goes rapidly over the dam all the time. It's one of the most awsom places I have ever been. Again, it's a must-see!

You might be able to read about it on the internet. I haven't tried to research it, but I imagine it's on there. It's quiet the geological place.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,163 times
Default Check out Mammoth Springs for sure

The Spring River is definately worth a look. I used to float that river a lot when I lived in Jonesboro. It should be no more than a two hour drive from Memphis to Hardy, where there are several campgrounds. They will take you from Hardy to Mammoth Springs, where the Spring River begins at the spring and you float back to Hardy. There are several small "waterfalls", no more than 2-3 feet tops, that you have to navigate and find the right place to go over them. I have dumped a few canoes there in my time. Mammoth Springs in itself is a beautiful place to see. There is a nice state park there and you can walk around the spring, it's amazing how much water comes from underground there.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
According to friends, the Cossatot River in southwest Arkansas is the best river in the state for rafting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas