Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,722 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a house in the country in Arkansas.. I noticed on a web site that there are alot of poisonous snakes there. I asked the real estate lady and she said she has never seen one out in the country....Well I went to a web site that talked about old fashioned swimming holes and all the areas mentioned in Arkansas said BEWARE OF SNAKES!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
Maybe she aint looking.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
After the many, many real estate people we have dealt with, including one today, I would say they all lie. If you can find me a strait shooter, wouldn't lie if his life depended on it real estate agent, send him/her my way. I alway say that if I can't trust your word, I can't trust you, and real estate is one of those professions that believes that "bending the truth" to make a sale, isn't considered lying.

GRRRR!!!!,

Old 02-28-2009, 04:33 PM

106 posts, read 471,012 times
I don't know about this person or homes you are look at to purchase, but Arkansas has poisonous snakes, that is not in doubt.

However, snakes common to Arkansas, mostly want to be left alone. As long as you don't bother them, they are not going to bother you.

This comes from someone that grew up in Arkansas, worked in pest control business crawling under thousands of homes, and outdoors man. Personnelly, I have never seen a Rattlesnake in Arkansas in the wild alive. I have seen tons of Copperheads and Cottonmouths, up close. In fact, we have had someone in the business bitten in the past, but he put his hand directly on the snake.

There are lots of websites about snakes in general, in Arkansas, and hold to deal with them available to you. Many of them will explain steps to take to limit your involvement with snakes including in your home.

Here is one as example: Herps of Arkansas: HomePage

Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
After the many, many real estate people we have dealt with, including one today, I would say they all lie. If you can find me a strait shooter, wouldn't lie if his life depended on it real estate agent, send him/her my way. I alway say that if I can't trust your word, I can't trust you, and real estate is one of those professions that believes that "bending the truth" to make a sale, isn't considered lying.

GRRRR!!!!,
that has to be one of the most insulting remarks and/or statements I have ever heard. I do not know what happened to you today or any other time but to group all real estate agents together is insaneand a disgrace. No, they are not all or most liars..How would you feel if someone said you are a liar because someone with the same color hair you have lied about something? I don't get really angry about too many things, but your statement is an insult and a bigger lie than anything most agents have ever said..I am not a realtor, but was for many years, I don't think I lied once nor did most of my fellow workers. We bought our home here from one of the nicest and most honest persons I have known in many years..

Now to the OP, I asked the same question when we first started looking as I am scared of anything that crawls, our realtor said, she had only seen one snake in the 7 years she has lived here, it was in her garden when she was planting one year. We didn't see one all last year except for a couple of tiney babies that got ended up in the sticky containers our bug guy sets out a few times a year. They were so tiny you would have thought they were worms. From what I have heard you will find most snakes near the water areas..yes, there are many in Arkansas, but they love lots of places. I can believe someone who said they have never seen one or only a few, snakes are not terribly social and prefer to hide if possible.

Nita

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,460 times
There are snakes in the country in Arkansas. You are wise to pay attention to where you are placing your feet. Most snakes will move away from you if you do not blindly step on them. Don't make a Cottonmouth mad - they will come after you - fast. I've lived in the country for many years - seen plenty of snakes - never been biten.

It is also wise to double check all info. The Real Estate person isn't required to know the snake population and would never want to tell all the snake stories that could halt the desire to buy. I think you were smart to check out the web site!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM

763 posts, read 2,661,664 times
I own a home in Louisiana and Arkansas. There is snakes of all varieties here. Now, my question. Where is a place in the south that don't have snakes ? Or the north? I just assumed snakes where everywhere. I think more people get bit by spiders than snakes around here. Wasp and bees are my biggest problem. Not to mention fire ants. But the worst is the mosquitoes and the no-see-ums.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,722 times
Northern Illinois, where I have lived all my life.. camped out and only saw a few garter snakes.. We don't have the cottonmouths and copperhead problems.. that is why I was asking. I hate snakes so I guess Arkansas is out of the question for me and my dogs...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:44 PM

99 posts, read 350,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that has to be one of the most insulting remarks and/or statements I have ever heard. I do not know what happened to you today or any other time but to group all real estate agents together is insaneand a disgrace. No, they are not all or most liars..How would you feel if someone said you are a liar because someone with the same color hair you have lied about something? I don't get really angry about too many things, but your statement is an insult and a bigger lie than anything most agents have ever said..I am not a realtor, but was for many years, I don't think I lied once nor did most of my fellow workers. We bought our home here from one of the nicest and most honest persons I have known in many years..

Now to the OP, I asked the same question when we first started looking as I am scared of anything that crawls, our realtor said, she had only seen one snake in the 7 years she has lived here, it was in her garden when she was planting one year. We didn't see one all last year except for a couple of tiney babies that got ended up in the sticky containers our bug guy sets out a few times a year. They were so tiny you would have thought they were worms. From what I have heard you will find most snakes near the water areas..yes, there are many in Arkansas, but they love lots of places. I can believe someone who said they have never seen one or only a few, snakes are not terribly social and prefer to hide if possible.

Nita
Thanks for your defense of those in our profession Nita. I was shocked when I read this person's post. I can only imagine that an agent did something really terrible to them at some point. Otherwise, well... I wouldn't want to think otherwise.

BTW, I haven't seen a snake since being in Central Arkansas. There were plenty of water moccasin snakes up in Northeast Arkansas. Like other posters have said, snakes usually only bite when bothered... so watch out for them.
Really watch out for the fire ants when working in the yard. My bite marks from last summer are just now fading away!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
I've dealt with dozens of real estate agents. Some lie. The smarter ones will either avoid your question or just not answer it instead of lying. The good agents dont lie, they dont have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas