Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 AM

36 posts, read 111,032 times

Advertisements

Since 53 people have viewed my last post on the other thread and I got no response, I figured I'd better ask further questions

What are the people REALLY like in these 2 counties? Is the fact that am an ordinary, country person that will have a garden, chickens, etc. just not fit in with the general population? So, I can assume that I won't fit into any church there either? WE are NOT rich, dress in clothes from 5th Ave. or drive a Rolls.
We are clean, drive almost new vehicles, clothes are mostly from yard sales, some new from Kohls/Penneys and I wear only a small bit of makeup (is that TMI?)

I am not interested in trying to keep up with the Jones, do not have a holier than thou attitude, will never be in a "trying to outdress the other women" contest with females in a church, refuse to be part of a clique, am going to be honest/down to earth, full of common sense. Will not tolerate being told by ANY preacher that I'm too stupid to homeschool my son (because I'm from the south). Yes, happened right here in Misery. Son has finished his schooling (adult now), so not homeschooling now. If i won't fit in these counties, please let me know.

I Have NEVER tried to change anyone or how people do things in their own state/culture. Never will because I am not concerned with that at all. I do not gossip, don't care what other people do on their prperty as long as they keep themselves and their dogs off mine. If their involved in drugs, that will become my business, however.

I also will not attempt to change or lose my accent because it offends some. I took a lot of verbal abuse when younger but no one will downgrade me/mine to my face again and I deeply regret not standing up before. DH was not here and the bottom line is that the preacher wanted my husband (from MO) there but not me. I'll let you guess what happened. This has happened in 2 churches here in southeast MO.

Alrighty then, I've spilled some of my guts, so just go ahead and tell me if there is only more of the same in these 2 counties. Please remember my descrption of myself and the fact that I'm not going to change who I am. Sorry this is so long but felt like I should give some info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM

27 posts, read 80,595 times
Smile Dont Change

Both counties are good. Both have good and the bad!!! Most people are honest hard working people and only want people to be the same!!! Hope this helps!!

We are clean, drive almost new vehicles, clothes are mostly from yard sales, some new from Kohls/Penneys and I wear only a small bit of makeup (is that TMI?)

I am not interested in trying to keep up with the Jones, do not have a holier than thou attitude, will never be in a "trying to outdress the other women" contest with females in a church, refuse to be part of a clique, am going to be honest/down to earth, full of common sense. Will not tolerate being told by ANY preacher that I'm too stupid to homeschool my son (because I'm from the south). Yes, happened right here in Misery. Son has finished his schooling (adult now), so not homeschooling now. If i won't fit in these counties, please let me know.

I Have NEVER tried to change anyone or how people do things in their own state/culture. Never will because I am not concerned with that at all. I do not gossip, don't care what other people do on their prperty as long as they keep themselves and their dogs off mine. If their involved in drugs, that will become my business, however.

I also will not attempt to change or lose my accent because it offends some. I took a lot of verbal abuse when younger but no one will downgrade me/mine to my face again and I deeply regret not standing up before. DH was not here and the bottom line is that the preacher wanted my husband (from MO) there but not me. I'll let you guess what happened. This has happened in 2 churches here in southeast MO.

Alrighty then, I've spilled some of my guts, so just go ahead and tell me if there is only more of the same in these 2 counties. Please remember my descrption of myself and the fact that I'm not going to change who I am. Sorry this is so long but felt like I should give some info.[/quote]

Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM

177 posts, read 265,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngurl View Post
Since 53 people have viewed my last post on the other thread and I got no response, I figured I'd better ask further questions

What are the people REALLY like in these 2 counties? Is the fact that am an ordinary, country person that will have a garden, chickens, etc. just not fit in with the general population? So, I can assume that I won't fit into any church there either? WE are NOT rich, dress in clothes from 5th Ave. or drive a Rolls.

Alrighty then, I've spilled some of my guts, so just go ahead and tell me if there is only more of the same in these 2 counties. Please remember my descrption of myself and the fact that I'm not going to change who I am. Sorry this is so long but felt like I should give some info.

Give Polk County a try! Nothing but, Proud and loud Southerners down here

Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,940 times
I live in Cleburne County. My husband is from Van Buren. I am from Howard County and just moved here last year. There is nothing in Van Buren county, however, if you don't want to be bothered with your concerns, that is a good place to be. I like Heber Spgs b/c there are more things to do and I have small children, so it easier living in a place that you have access to things. My children go the the public school and like it well, but I plan to homeschool next school term, something I've always dreamed of doing. However Heber is a little uppity. I love to sew and sew a lot of our clothes and buy the rest name brands in a little resale shop in Shirley, AR in Van Buren county. You can make it work. If you really want the country feel and don't want to worry about what people think, Stone county is awesome (Mt. View). They have festivals and jamborees constantly and that is where the Ozark Folk Center is located. I love going there and taking the kids. My husband's job requires us to live in Cleburne co., but we would love to live in Mt. View. I never buy any clothing new, and there is a overabundance of resale/consignment shops, so no matter where you go in north central AR your lifestyle won't be out of the norm. I am about the most frugal person living in this county! As far as churches are concerned, Heber is the only small town that I have been to in AR that has such a diversity. There are many different demoninations including several branches of baptist, Full Gospel, Menonite, Assembly of God, Penecostal, Episcapal, Presb., Catholic, Lutheran, Church of Science, and several others just in my 6,000pop town. Lots of people grow their own food. All of the meat that my family eats is what my husband "drags" home. That is his job, literally. I buy everything else at the grocer. Many people in these counties homeschool and are very frugal, and there aren't dominent family names as I was used to in the south end. I don't think you would feel out of place. I have an accent, and it's the yanks that get made fun of here. Again, no one will make you feel too stupid for homeschooling (even if you don't anymore). I wanted to homeschool in south, but it was far from popular. Up here, especially in Mt. View, they cater to homeschoolers. They have groups and outings and the homeschool conventions are held about 30 mins from here. I really like it here b/c I was considered different b/c I didn't care much for the finer things and wanted to be debt free. However, I do dress nice, wear makeup and have nice vehicles and a home...BUT, we were very responsible about it and the types of things we bought weren't main stream, but it was what suited our family best. And even though my family and friends made fun of my little Jeep two yrs ago when I bought it, as soon as I moved here I see them everywhere. Point...Nobody cares up here. Whatever suits you and your family best is what's acceptable.

Last edited by tiashamoon; 03-06-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiashamoon View Post
I live in Cleburne County. My husband is from Van Buren. I am from Howard County and just moved here last year. There is nothing in Van Buren county, however, if you don't want to be bothered with your concerns, that is a good place to be. I like Heber Spgs b/c there are more things to do and I have small children, so it easier living in a place that you have access to things. My children go the the public school and like it well, but I plan to homeschool next school term, something I've always dreamed of doing. However Heber is a little uppity. I love to sew and sew a lot of our clothes and buy the rest name brands in a little resale shop in Shirley, AR in Van Buren county. You can make it work. If you really want the country feel and don't want to worry about what people think, Stone county is awesome (Mt. View). They have festivals and jamborees constantly and that is where the Ozark Folk Center is located. I love going there and taking the kids. My husband's job requires us to live in Cleburne co., but we would love to live in Mt. View. I never buy any clothing new, and there is a overabundance of resale/consignment shops, so no matter where you go in north central AR your lifestyle won't be out of the norm. I am about the most frugal person living in this county! As far as churches are concerned, Heber is the only small town that I have been to in AR that has such a diversity. There are many different demoninations including several branches of baptist, Full Gospel, Menonite, Assembly of God, Penecostal, Episcapal, Presb., Catholic, Lutheran, Church of Science, and several others just in my 6,000pop town. Lots of people grow their own food. All of the meat that my family eats is what my husband "drags" home. That is his job, literally. I buy everything else at the grocer. Many people in these counties homeschool and are very frugal, and there aren't dominent family names as I was used to in the south end. I don't think you would feel out of place. I have an accent, and it's the yanks that get made fun of here. Again, no one will make you feel too stupid for homeschooling (even if you don't anymore). I wanted to homeschool in south, but it was far from popular. Up here, especially in Mt. View, they cater to homeschoolers. They have groups and outings and the homeschool conventions are held about 30 mins from here. I really like it here b/c I was considered different b/c I didn't care much for the finer things and wanted to be debt free. However, I do dress nice, wear makeup and have nice vehicles and a home...BUT, we were very responsible about it and the types of things we bought weren't main stream, but it was what suited our family best. And even though my family and friends made fun of my little Jeep two yrs ago when I bought it, as soon as I moved here I see them everywhere. Point...Nobody cares up here. Whatever suits you and your family best is what's acceptable.
We visited last year on a fast trip, saw the dam, drove around Cleburne co. some, went north around Batesville, then east to 67 and came back to MO. Didn't get to see Van Buren co. at all.
It will only be me/DH, we are in our 50's. Our chickens are our CHILDREN. Yard sales, thrift stores are right down my alley. LOL
Sew some, mostly repair, have made many quilts years ago. Have lots of blocks not assembled into tops as I don't NEED any more quilts. Plus the quilt bug has not visited me in 6-7 years.
Make our soap (cp), recently made some lotion/creams, do not sell, tho.
We did visit the Ozark Folk center years ago, had a great time. Bought my first bar of lye soap there and took up the craft after that. Also we both really like (and collect) gospel bluegrass music.
I truly wish I had been born in an earlier time as I find those ways more my lifestlye as I've gotten older and have some sense now.
Hopefully we will get down in the area this year. I kinda am intersted in VB co. as it would be easy to get to Conway for major stuff. We plan to fish a lot and DH likes to deer hunt. We plan on having a market garden, (maybe) and going to sell some at farmers markets.
I am very frugal also, more than DH even though I continuously work on him. LOL. You may like the Homesteadingtoday forum like I do. Have a great day.

Last edited by southerngurl; 03-11-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,353 times
We moved from a large city from the West into Van Buren county a few years ago. It was a hard adjustment being an "outsider" here. We have found it to be very "clique-ish" and "clannish." The "locals" can be friendly, but it seems impossible to be truly accepted into their family clans. Family clans are everything, especially the deeper into the Hills you go. The judicial systems are corrupt, and the county sheriffs have a reputation for being corrupt as well. In our town, the big joke amongst the "Locals" is that everyone is related! It appears to be true...
On the flip-side, it is a VERY poor county and people joke about how poor they are, so pretenses are few. Snobbery is non-existent, and many folks homeschool. Most folks garden, and my impression is that EVERYONE shops at thrift stores. You often see chickens, or a goat tied up in someone's back yard. The housing is dirt cheap and usually not built to code - lots of shacks out here. The poverty was shocking to us. We hear rumors that there are still residents in our Hills who do not have electricity or running water. (Don't know this for a fact, though.) Our closest friends here, though, ARE humble locals who joke about being Hillbillies and we love them because they are sooo down to earth, honest, and would give you the shirt off their backs. Good quality people and friends. If you want to be closer to Conway then you should consider Clinton. Clinton is not nearly as back-woods but anything still goes.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 AM

Default Plain, ordinary, humble country people are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirlinAR View Post
We moved from a large city from the West into Van Buren county a few years ago. It was a hard adjustment being an "outsider" here. We have found it to be very "clique-ish" and "clannish." The "locals" can be friendly, but it seems impossible to be truly accepted into their family clans. Family clans are everything, especially the deeper into the Hills you go. The judicial systems are corrupt, and the county sheriffs have a reputation for being corrupt as well. In our town, the big joke amongst the "Locals" is that everyone is related! It appears to be true...
On the flip-side, it is a VERY poor county and people joke about how poor they are, so pretenses are few. Snobbery is non-existent, and many folks homeschool. Most folks garden, and my impression is that EVERYONE shops at thrift stores. You often see chickens, or a goat tied up in someone's back yard. The housing is dirt cheap and usually not built to code - lots of shacks out here. The poverty was shocking to us. We hear rumors that there are still residents in our Hills who do not have electricity or running water. (Don't know this for a fact, though.) Our closest friends here, though, ARE humble locals who joke about being Hillbillies and we love them because they are sooo down to earth, honest, and would give you the shirt off their backs. Good quality people and friends. If you want to be closer to Conway then you should consider Clinton. Clinton is not nearly as back-woods but anything still goes.
It is clannish here, too:have been an outsider for about 11 years now. I just tolerate this place and only exchange very superficial nicities with locals. The inbred thing is mentioned here, too. I don't care anymore, guess most small towns are like this. My biggest problem here has always been my accent, stands out from the locals. Also being from the south, people have you stereotyped in certain ways, which none of them apply to me. Our Leos sound about like yours,too. LOL
Oh well, at least I wouldn't be looked at like I have 2 heads when I speak. I have been asked numerous times "Where are you from?" That was answered with different deep south states, depending on what first came to mind. There is one woman here who still believes I'm from TN though I've told her different. I KNOW how people gossip here so give them some fodder occasionally.
Being poor or not having electricity/running water doesn't surprise me as we have spent some time north of Russelville, also met some really country people around Heber Springs. Bought some fertile eggs from them to give to my setting banties.
I like being around ordinary people that are not holier than thou and what you see is what you get. No pretending there, no judging you, just honesty, which is so very lacking here (MO) in this particular place. I won't miss 1 person when I leave here.
I consider myself mostly a redneck, not as bad as Jeff Foxworthy describes but I can identify with a lot of it. DH is a redneck/hillbilly/mid-westerner blend. He was born/raised in MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas