Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Do You See Booming 10-20 Years From Now?
Little Rock-North Little Rock 10 19.61%
Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers 21 41.18%
Fort Smith 19 37.25%
Texarkana 4 7.84%
Jonesboro 2 3.92%
Conway 4 7.84%
Pine Bluff 2 3.92%
Hot Springs 3 5.88%
El Dorado 1 1.96%
Other Arkansas City 4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
What would make them "boom"?

Bath Houses operating at full blast?
That might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
My point was that all the cities that boom usually boom for the first time, and do not usually expect such a boom. So saying that a city that hasn't boom in the past won't boom in the future really doesn't make sense.

There could be some kid going to school in Mountain Home who will turn the world on its head like Sam Walton did. Mountain Home could be huge in 20 years, but it has never boomed before.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Fort Smith has been stagnant for a long time. I like the city, but I don't see it growing much any time soon.
Fort Smith is too conservative. Anytime an opportunity for economic growth presents itself in Fort Smith, people come out of the woodwork led by Mayor Ray Baker to oppose it. Fort Smith has a very traditional, old-South small town feel and most people who live there fear that economic growth might dilute that the way it has in Northwest Arkansas. What will actually happen is the town will decline as the population ages and most of the younger, educated people are leaving for areas with opportunity. Fort Smith has been in this stagnant, "status-quo" state for so long that the best opportunity now is to go the direction of Hot Springs village and become a retirement community.

The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers area is the only place in the state I feel will see economic growth in the coming years. Little Rock has too many image problems associated with it and the rest of the state just doesn't offer much.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:32 PM

@bchris02 exactly what kind of image problems does Little Rock have associated with it.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
@bchris02 exactly what kind of image problems does Little Rock have associated with it.
Most of the people I know (who are almost exclusively from the NWA/River Valley areas) view Little Rock as a dirty, crime-ridden city. Does it deserve that image? Maybe not. Nonetheless, it does have that image.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Most of the people I know (who are almost exclusively from the NWA/River Valley areas) view Little Rock as a dirty, crime-ridden city. Does it deserve that image? Maybe not. Nonetheless, it does have that image.
Maybe back in the nineties but these are the tween years. Most kids have probably have never even heard of "that" documentary.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe back in the nineties but these are the tween years. Most kids have probably have never even heard of "that" documentary.
That documentary was the effect of a very real problem in Little Rock and it just brought it to the national spotlight. It has improved vastly since the 1990s but image issues take a long, long time to fade away. Heck, Little Rock still has issues stemming from the 1957 Central High School thing. Little Rock is going to have to re-invent itself, and be on the forefront of some major economic trend creating lots of jobs for its image as a crime-ridden, dirty, dead city to ever be challenged. When most people hear of Little Rock, the only thing they know is Bill Clinton, Mike Huckabee, and the 1994 Gang Wars documentary.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That documentary was the effect of a very real problem in Little Rock and it just brought it to the national spotlight. It has improved vastly since the 1990s but image issues take a long, long time to fade away. Heck, Little Rock still has issues stemming from the 1957 Central High School thing. Little Rock is going to have to re-invent itself, and be on the forefront of some major economic trend creating lots of jobs for its image as a crime-ridden, dirty, dead city to ever be challenged. When most people hear of Little Rock, the only thing they know is Bill Clinton, Mike Huckabee, and the 1994 Gang Wars documentary.
I haven't been there in a while but all reports say Little Rock is growing.
Little Rock is ranked one of the best place in the country for business. So how is Charlotte anyways..a real craphole I'm guessing? Just kidding I love Charlotte but I've heard it has grown a lot since I was there.

I don't guess club Mythos is still around is it?

Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
Bentonville, Rogers, Bella Vista will boom like no place else in the US in the next 5-10 years. Crystal Bridges Museum will be a big driver for recreation in Benton County.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I haven't been there in a while but all reports say Little Rock is growing.
Little Rock is ranked one of the best place in the country for business. So how is Charlotte anyways..a real craphole I'm guessing? Just kidding I love Charlotte but I've heard it has grown a lot since I was there.

I don't guess club Mythos is still around is it?
I actually really like Charlotte. Its no NYC or Los Angeles, but its a decent city and there is always plenty of stuff going on. Club Mythos is still open but it is now called the Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas