Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:49 PM

25 posts, read 120,301 times

Advertisements

What's it like for an American in India? What cultural differences should one be on the look out for? How important is the language difference? Is it just an idea to visit and not to live for Americans? What's the crime like in India? The public transit/traffic (as in do you need a car)? The night life? The weather? The general attitude of the people over there? Things like that ... look forward to your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star314 View Post
What's it like for an American in India? What cultural differences should one be on the look out for? How important is the language difference? Is it just an idea to visit and not to live for Americans? What's the crime like in India? The public transit/traffic (as in do you need a car)? The night life? The weather? The general attitude of the people over there? Things like that ... look forward to your input.
There will certainly be someone post who has spent a lot of time there.

I've spent a lot of time traveling to a lot of 'third world' countries, and met a ton of people who have been to India...

Generally they all say it's a completely differnent world with all different social norms, different everything.

Language barrier...not so much. Indians study English. Well, Britian was their colonizer, so they had to study English, and most still do. That being said, there are a lot of languages in India.

Living vs Visiting. I believe most people just backback travel around. That being said, some live there, like anywhere else.

Crime....from my understanding, you just get asked a lot for money - beggars, etc. But I think crime figures would be way lower.

Public transit. You definitely don't need a car. Every form of public transportation is around in all kinds of different forms.

Nightlife is almost non-existant...but I heard Mumbai has some clubs, but not much of anything.

Weather...hot. But northern India near the Himilayas, gets some winter. Generally India = hot.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM

149 posts, read 358,437 times
Quote:
It depends on a lot of factors, are you visiting or staying? Where are you going? Some parts of India are socially more conservative than others. Race and gender (YES, both will make a difference in the way you are treated-***especially if you are traveling alone***)? Naturally you're in an different country so the culture will be different, but that shouldn't be a bad thing. While educated Indians speak English-and the ones you are likely to interact with will speak some English, many many Indians do NOT. Don't assume everyone will understand you, especially if you are outside of the major areas. Also, just as there are differences between American English and British English, Indian English is slightly different as well. So you may still struggle a bit to understand some English speakers. Be patient with people (and with yourself). I know New Delhi has a decent transit system, and the rickshaws are quite cheap-though some will try to scam you when they know you're foreign. India is usually quite warm, but depending on the time of year they experience a serious rainy season. Be prepared for that because it POURS.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM

29 posts, read 96,503 times
I am a US citizen of Indian heritage. Was born in India & lived/worked there for many many years.

If you are serious in visiting/living in India, then PM me - I will provide all the info you want.

India is a great country to visit or live in. You will enjoy the time you spend there.

Quote:

Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM

52 posts, read 196,684 times
Quote:
That's quite a lot that can't be answered simply. I've spent some time in India, including 1 time renting and living in a place for 6 months.

Americans are very outgoing and socially are freer, imo. This sometimes causes your friends to cringe a little, others not so much. There are a lot of subtle cultural things about India you just have to go thru to really understand. Its a learning process. People know you are from outside and Indians are very accepting and understanding. But remember India is very diverse. Every part of India is unique culturally. Its hard to classify India as one big culture. You'll find Los Angeles is different than New Orleans. But in India is way more diverse. Different languages. Different foods. etc.

Crime - petty crime is common. There are a lot of thieves there. Rape is also a problem in certain places. I've had more issues with thieves there than in Los Angeles where I live.

Public transit - buses and trains are all over. The more common ones you take, expect overcrowding like you've never experienced in your life Also taking a 3rd class train anywhere far will take foooorrreeevvveeerrrrr.... I spent 36 hours on a 3rd class train one time. It was torture, but laughable later on.

Indians are very generous. People are also on survival mode, so sometimes generosity is hiding another motive, mostly asking for money. When I actually lived in India I had friends there. That was a totally different experience than just backpacking around. I trusted my friends and we had some really good times together.

There are a lot of formalities in India, but its vast and you just have to learn it. But just be yourself and have a good time. Respect elders.

Its not a cheap destination as it used to be. I remember getting rooms for 40-50 rupees a night. Now they are 4000 - 5000 during the peak season. But if you stay outside the big foreign tourist areas during peak seasons and maybe stay in one area for a longer time it will cost less than living in the US, possibly.

If you are serious about moving there I would say go for it! I had some good times and some bad times. But I will say that my friends in India are still my friends and some of them I talk to all the time, including one friend I talk to almost every day. India is crowded and intense. But have fun

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 15,883 times
Hi I would love to know anything that you can tell me, thank you for any help that you can give

Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 AM

14 posts, read 39,880 times
You are thinking too much. It hardly matters if you visit India or any country. There will be some problems like language, food and location. but it can be overcome if you have some to guide you.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM

105 posts, read 202,899 times
This will make a good read -

Angela's Adventures in Bangalore

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 15,716 times
Smile Hey thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
This will make a good read -

Angela's Adventures in Bangalore

@Kannadiga - thanks for suggesting my blog in this forum. Very kind of you. -Angela

Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 12,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanbasrur View Post
I am a US citizen of Indian heritage. Was born in India & lived/worked there for many many years.

If you are serious in visiting/living in India, then PM me - I will provide all the info you want.

India is a great country to visit or live in. You will enjoy the time you spend there.
Hello Rohanbasrur,
My name is Dee, currently of New Orleans. My partner and I are planning to go to India within a year or so; hopefully to stay. There we would like to spend our time with ISKCON, volunteering etc. I know so little about India, though, that I hardly know where to begin.

I know english is popular there but I would like to be a little less the westerner and at least know a few phrases, but in which language(s)? I have many other questions. lol Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Dee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia