Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:39 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkakdugi View Post
Japanese culture? They learn almost everything from Korea.
To be honest, it's actually the other way around. Just for the modern cultural aspect I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkakdugi View Post
Japanese culture? They learn almost everything from Korea.
I lived in both a long time. Korea has more similarities to China.

Japan has a connection too, but different.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in both a long time. Korea has more similarities to China.

Japan has a connection too, but different.
Whoa, if you're in Kyoto at present, isn't it quite unsafe to be there as the atmospheric & soil radiation levels are going up? And the food..like meat products and fish contaminated with cesium or maybe even strontium..

What gave you the impression that Korea is more similar to China? I'd say Seoul is nothing like Hong Kong at all. Or is your comparison more like Seoul vs. Beijing?

I've only been to Hong Kong and Taiwan in the Chinese-language world, so the mainland part is a mystery to me.

Last edited by OZpharmer; 10-22-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Whoa, if you're in Kyoto at present, isn't it quite unsafe to be there as the atmospheric & soil radiation levels are going up? And the food..like meat products and fish contaminated with cesium or maybe even strontium..

What gave you the impression that Korea is more similar to China? I'd say Seoul is nothing like Hong Kong at all. Or is your comparison more like Seoul vs. Beijing?

I've only been to Hong Kong and Taiwan in the Chinese-language world, so the mainland part is a mystery to me.
Hong kong is nothing like China. 150 years as a British city permanently changed it. Filled with British laws, contracts, etc. It's part of china now, but absolutely nothing like China.

I was thinking more like All the other areas of china except hong kong.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:51 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Japan as a country is more Western in the way they work, the way the people live, the social liberties etc

Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM

Which of these do you think is the least westernized among the northeast asian countries then?

China
South Korea
Japan
Taiwan

(excluding North Korea and Mongolia)

Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
China.

South Korea, Japan and Taiwan are all very similar to the West, high quality of life, good education, health care, long life expectancy, very high tech, freedom of speech etc.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
It's a multifaceted question, this one is.

Many aspects of both Chinese and Japanese culture are similar. The religious / social outlook of Confucian philosophy is very similar between the two.

Both have adopted the automated / industrialized world norm of being, and both have to varying degrees embraced capitalism free market economics.

IMO China is more alien because their government is a reflection of the people, who really don't care about an oppressive and propoganda driven machine so long as it benefits them. And who can blame them? The average city dweller in China is far better off than even 20 years ago.

Japan's experiment with government is sorta interesting, and reflects the risk-adverse culture. The same party formed the government for more than 45 years, with their main rival only recently having unseated them. So I think in terms of taking risks I think China is more like the US.

And for all intents and purposes, I think China is MUCH more like the US when the US was new too ... mercantilism. It's funny because European firms were pushing for a ban on American goods because of patent and trademark infringements and "dumping." This was especially true after our civil war through the 1910's. Sound familiar?

And individual Chinese are very VERY entrepreneurial, perhaps more so than Americans.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Cool, I didn't know if traveling to them was doable. It wouldn't be accessible for me, obviously, I doubt I'd make it in rural China. To be honest I get the sense Asia isn't very handicapped accessible. I kind of fell in love with a region I may never be able to see

Why? You might not be able to comfortably access the rural areas for days on end, but you can do the major cities like Beijing, and then make little excursions for a half day or so into the countryside. Of course it depends on your handicap .... I guess if you need oxygen it would be risky, but if it's just being in a wheelchair it shouldn't be a problem, if you have the money. Beijing Disability Tours, Travel Tips for Wheelchair Accessible Travel and Slow Walkers Beijing China - Beijing Travel Service

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Which of these do you think is the least westernized among the northeast asian countries then?

China
South Korea
Japan
Taiwan

(excluding North Korea and Mongolia)
Definitely China.

They are all definitely Asian, but China is just so massive, and such a world to their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia