Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Mongolia in East Asia or Central Asia?
East Asia 14 60.87%
Central Asia 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Would you group Mongolia more with East (China, Japan, Korea, de-facto Vietnam, Taiwan), or Central (mostly the stans but also possibly Afghanistan, Western China)?

I thought I'd do a comparison by criteria in order to decide:

Genetically: Both really. I'd say closer to China than Kazakhstan, though, so I'll go with East Asia.

Linguistically: Mongolian is an Altaic language so Central Asia. It also uses Cyrillic alphabet.

Social Structure: Probably similar to North Asia than either, Mongolians are mostly nomads and patriarchal which seems similar to both old Manchuria and Kazakhstan. Not sure how Confucian it is. I'll go Central Asia.

Musically: Mongolian music seems more reminiscent of Chinese and Tibetan music rather than the music of the 'stans' which sounds more Turkish-Arabic.

Gastronomically: The Mongolian diet is heavy on meat (***, sheep), and dairy (mare's milk, cheese, other dairy products) so this one goes to Central Asia.

Spiritually: Mongolia is majority Buddhist and Shamanist, while Central Asia is mostly Muslim so East Asia.

Economically: Mostly a pastoral society, strongly reminiscent of both the Soviet Union and Communist China. Tie.

Locationally: Although it extends pretty far west, Western China is still a lot further west, so I'd say geographically it lies within East Asia.

So the end result is:

East Asia: 4
Central Asia: 3
Tie: 1

East Asia by a whisker for me.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
They are about as close to Koreans genetically as you can possibly get.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:32 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
While that may be true, it seems that Mongolia is geographically more central in Asia that it would be east.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 AM

376 posts, read 652,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I worked in Seoul and Mongolia. The Koreans told me they are closely related to the Mongolians and there's even a certain birth mark supposedly that distinguishes this but I don't recall what it is. Mongolians I've talked to don't accept this close of a kinship with Mongoians and culturally, they are very very different. Some of the difference could be related to the long allegiance between Mongolia & Russia. Remember also that there is plenty of Chinese blood mixed in wtih Mongolian over the centuries. To me, the Mongolians seem just different than the other Asian cultures incluidng different from Chinese & Korean. But of all the Asian countries I've visited, I like the Mongolians the best as they're the most independent of the Asians and more gregarious as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
The Koreans told me they are closely related to the Mongolians and there's even a certain birth mark supposedly that distinguishes this but I don't recall what it is.
Yep, it's kind of a blue birthmark just above the tailbone.

I've also noticed the hot-headed alcohol-driven 'way' is very similar with Koreans and Mongolians, much more than, say Chinese, which are much more tea-drinking, or Japanese who are just so mellow and slightly passive.

I lived in South Korea for 7-8 years, and met quite a few Mongolians, and they seemed quite indistinguable from Koreans. WHereas I could absolutely spot a Japanese person within a crowded Korean-filled room. CHinese were a bit harder to always identify, sometimes i could, and sometimes I couldn't. Northeast China is also tall and similar facial bone structure to Koreans. (A lot of other CHinese seemed shorter, much thinner hair, more weaker cheekbones, and much worse teeth).

Koreans and Mongolians both almost universally have that 'Mongolian birthmark', plus strong thick hair, much stronger jawlines/facial structures, and so on.

Intersting that the Mongolians don't agree with the Koreans on their similarities. Koreans always mention it.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Are there any studies that show Mongols and Koreans are any more related to each other than they are to Northern Han Chinese, Manchus, and Japanese, or the Evenks, yakuts, and chukchis?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
I'd be inclined to think they're a halfway point between the two groupings! Just my two useless cents!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
I often hear people known as the "HMONG" claim to be decendents of the KOREANS or the Mongolians

Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I often hear people known as the "HMONG" claim to be decendents of the KOREANS or the Mongolians
The Hmong do look sort of similar to Koreans. Hmong children, like Koreans, often have dark brown or reddish hair.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
the only koreans with reddish hair are the ones that dye their hair so they can look like a anime character
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia