Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to learn that South Koreans consume more alcohol per capita per year than Australians! The Japanese also nearly as much as the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ol_consumption

As you can see, pretty much all the other Asian countries are much lower down the list. One that surprised me was Singapore. I thought Singaporeans would be among the biggest drinkers, being more westernised, but then again drinking doesn't seem a big part of Singaporean culture (more eating!).

The Muslim countries for obvious reasons, so I'll exclude them. Alcohol isn't a big thing in SE Asia and South Asia. Maybe the prevalence of Hinduism/Buddhism comes into it. In China, some people drink a lot but for many people alcohol just isn't a part of their daily lives like in the West.

Has alcohol just always been more a part of Korean/Japanese culture? Maybe spirits like soju and sake to warm oneself in the cold winters?

I know Japanese and Korean men do commonly partake in binge drinking, but what about the women?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was surprised to learn that South Koreans consume more alcohol per capita per year than Australians! The Japanese also nearly as much as the US.

List of countries by alcohol consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, pretty much all the other Asian countries are much lower down the list. One that surprised me was Singapore. I thought Singaporeans would be among the biggest drinkers, being more westernised, but then again drinking doesn't seem a big part of Singaporean culture (more eating!).

The Muslim countries for obvious reasons, so I'll exclude them. Alcohol isn't a big thing in SE Asia and South Asia. Maybe the prevalence of Hinduism/Buddhism comes into it. In China, some people drink a lot but for many people alcohol just isn't a part of their daily lives like in the West.

Has alcohol just always been more a part of Korean/Japanese culture? Maybe spirits like soju and sake to warm oneself in the cold winters?

I know Japanese and Korean men do commonly partake in binge drinking, but what about the women?
I do not know about all Japanese women, but my MiL can drink a lot of people under the table. At my wedding she had 2 bottle of champaigne and some wine. She could still walk which impressed me.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
My Korean ex-gf in college could drink..definitely a high tolerance for alcohol. Her Korean gal pals could drink also. I assume Koreans still drink quite a bit.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
My wife could drink most men under the table as well. On her 35 birthday we downed also downed two bottles champaigne and ended the night with several snifters of cognac and she walked four blocks to our house and all the way telling me to "hurry up". The next morning she got up at six sent the kids to school and went to work like nothing happened. All the rest of us had tremendous hangovers and most of the people at the bar were Russians. Go figure..I guess Asian women can all drink. The Japanese men however do not hold their alcohol all that well, Korean men I know generally can out drink the Japanese but they usually stick to Soju and makoli but the Japanese go through the whole bar, drinking every thing from beer to whisky to sake.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
My wife could drink most men under the table as well. On her 35 birthday we downed also downed two bottles champaigne and ended the night with several snifters of cognac and she walked four blocks to our house and all the way telling me to "hurry up". The next morning she got up at six sent the kids to school and went to work like nothing happened. All the rest of us had tremendous hangovers and most of the people at the bar were Russians. Go figure..I guess Asian women can all drink. The Japanese men however do not hold their alcohol all that well, Korean men I know generally can out drink the Japanese but they usually stick to Soju and makoli but the Japanese go through the whole bar, drinking every thing from beer to whisky to sake.
Lol, a lot of Asian people aren't very alcohol tolerant at all. Funny you make generalisations based on a few people you know.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Lol, a lot of Asian people aren't very alcohol tolerant at all. Funny you make generalisations based on a few people you know.
But they pretty much fit with what everyone else is saying so ....Not only that, with 10 years in Japan and living with a lot of Zainichi you pretty much get to see a lot of drinking between the two peoples. Enough to make a pretty accurate assessment I think.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
But they pretty much fit with what everyone else is saying so ....Not only that, with 10 years in Japan and living with a lot of Zainichi you pretty much get to see a lot of drinking between the two peoples. Enough to make a pretty accurate assessment I think.
Er yeah anecdotal evidence makes it totally true. I've met many Japanese women and most of them don't even drink regularly or much, so don't speak as if most Japanese women are these binge drinkers who can chug them down like Alan Border. I do know some who can drink a lot, but by no means are they typical or average. If anything it's the males who binge drink a lot more in these cultures, but again it's not like most of them do it. Korea probably has more of that than Japan, but again I don't think it's as widespread as you might believe.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Er yeah anecdotal evidence makes it totally true. I've met many Japanese women and most of them don't even drink regularly or much, so don't speak as if most Japanese women are these binge drinkers who can chug them down like Alan Border. .
If I meant that I would have stated it more directly so as to leave no doubt. However I worked in mizushobai for a few years. Japanese women can handle their alcohol as well as anyone.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Thailand is not far behind from Korea and Japan when it comes down to drinking.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
In China old women usually don't drink at all, but most men drink.
Wine is not as popular as baijiu or beer.

It is legal for children to drink (any age).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia