Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Beijing 6 21.43%
Seoul 22 78.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities do you prefer and why?

You can compare the two cities along these main criteria (I haven't been to Seoul but I'll give my perceptions):

1. Geography: Seoul wins. It's hillier and seems greener, while Beijing is in the middle of a flat plain.

2. Climate: Close one here. Beijing's winters actually are only marginally colder than Seoul's, while both cities have hot and humid summers. Maybe Seoul for the fact it gets more snow while Beijing in winter is dry. If you're going to get sub-zero winters might as well get snow. Then again Beijing gets more sunshine so on second thoughts it's a tie.

3. History: I don't know much about Korea, but Beijing, despite China's rapacious destruction of anything 'old', seems to have more historic buildings. Not just the well known ones like the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven and Great Wall, but the hutongs.etc. Not that Korea is a slouch in this area. Beijing.

4. Food: I prefer Korean food to Beijing food so Seoul for me. Both cities boast a lot of restaurants and markets though.

5. Shopping: No idea, but probably Seoul for higher-end, although Beijing is catching up. Maybe Beijing for bargain shopping and traditional wares.

6. Architecture: Beijing is becoming more futuristic looking, but probably has an older, grittier feel overall than Seoul. Seoul has some nice historic villages that seem like Japan (from what I see in movies), and overall looks cleaner and more futuristic but I pick Beijing.

7. Nightlife: Korea's pop music scene is famous but I hear Beijing has it's own local rock scene. Beijing is famous for it's bars/clubs, but Seoul is no slouch and seems a very 24/7 city. Can't call this one.

8. Attractions: Beijing. I find Chinese culture more interesting, and Beijing just has more attractions.

9. Transport: Seoul's Subway is probably is supposed to be the best in Asia so I'd pick that one.

10. People: I think Beijingers are portrayed as gruff and down to earth. Koreans I've met are friendly but Seoul probably has the least friendly and most urbane Koreans. My aunty has been to Korea, actually, and said she found Koreans in the street sort of standoffish. Did you find this true? Can't say.

Overall Beijing seems like a more interesting city, even though I've not been to Seoul. To be honest, I've never felt a great full towards Korea or Seoul, although with the rise of South Korea I'd be curious to see what it's like. It's probably one of the most hi-tech cities in the world at the moment as well, as well as a huge megapolis.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Seoul is miles ahead of Beijing come on now.
Seoul vs. Shanghai or Seoul vs. Hong Kong would be a better poll.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
Seoul easily. Less smog>smog.

Korean food is good, a lot of street food. Great night life, shopping is great and their transportation is cheap, efficient and high end. Also, Electronics Market and their Electronics tower are awesome!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Beijing is better in history, but Seoul in almost all other aspects. I think even weather is better in Seoul, at least closer to the sea, less polluted and sandstorms. You pay for the better infrastructure though, as Seoul is more expensive than Beijing.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Beijing Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Beijing's modern face.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I wish I could find my pictures from when I was there. I had some nice skyline pics of Seoul.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t.night-02.jpg

They have nice buildings that are not showcased here sadly.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times
Seoul takes everything on the list except perhaps history for me. Seoul still has plenty of historic locations but it's often overshadowed in the media by its modernity aspects.

When it comes to nightlife and 24 hour vibrancy, Seoul is up there with the best in the world.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Seoul takes everything on the list except perhaps history for me. Seoul still has plenty of historic locations but it's often overshadowed in the media by its modernity aspects.

When it comes to nightlife and 24 hour vibrancy, Seoul is up there with the best in the world.
This.

Are you South Korean?

I've never been to either and while I've looked into both the more I read about Beijing the more it repulses me. Seoul is one of my favorite places in the world (top 5) even though I haven't been. I'm genuinely intrigued by South Korean culture and the city.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 PM

Wow Beijing is not liked on this forum. I think most tourists would prefer to visit Beijing though.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
SEOUL. I lived in Seoul for quite awhile, and visited Beijing from Seoul. After just a few days of tourist attractions (Great Wall, etc.), I was ready to get back to Seoul. I think for a tourist, China has more sights to see, but Seoul for everything else.

That being said, I know some Korea expats who absolutely love China/Beijing. I didn't personally get that vibe though with Beijing or China. I liked it, but not loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia