Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which seems more interesting/would you rather visit?
Sri Lanka 3 20.00%
Taiwan 11 73.33%
Neither/both 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

I've been to both, and if I were to go back to one, I'd go back to Taiwan.

Sri Lanka was interesting, but Taiwan appeals to me slightly more.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to both, and if I were to go back to one, I'd go back to Taiwan.

Sri Lanka was interesting, but Taiwan appeals to me slightly more.
Where did you go in both and what did you think of each place you visited?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM

440 posts, read 661,933 times
Most people of different countries don't know much about Sri Lanka, except the Indians. Taiwan has links to many other countries and is better known to other countries especially in East and SE Asia.

Both Sri Lanka and India were British colonies, but only Taiwan was a real Japanese colony, Mainland China was just invaded by the Japanese with an undeclared war and puppet governments were set up.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Most people of different countries don't know much about Sri Lanka, except the Indians. Taiwan has links to many other countries and is better known to other countries especially in East and SE Asia.

Both Sri Lanka and India were British colonies, but only Taiwan was a real Japanese colony, Mainland China was just invaded by the Japanese with an undeclared war and puppet governments were set up.
Sri Lanka made headlines because of the war for many decades, which was yet another reason it didn't feature much as tourist destination. A lot of people just don't know what it has to offer. Although the violence hasn't completely stopped since the 'official' end to the war (an uneasy peace) I feel it's a pretty safe place to visit overall and the people are friendly. Definitely would recommend it.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Where did you go in both and what did you think of each place you visited?
In Taiwan, I went to Taipei and Taichung. And I didn't even see all the cool mountain and beach stuff, so wouldn't mind seeing that.

In Sri Lanka, I went to Colombo, Kandy, Hikkaduka and some of the other beach cities.

For me, Sri Lanka was the much more exotic place, and had more interesting things. But maybe because I felt like I saw the more interesting things in Sri Lanka, where I didn't quite make it to the most interesting things that Taiwan has to offer, that makes me want to see a bit more of it.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In Taiwan, I went to Taipei and Taichung. And I didn't even see all the cool mountain and beach stuff, so wouldn't mind seeing that.

In Sri Lanka, I went to Colombo, Kandy, Hikkaduka and some of the other beach cities.

For me, Sri Lanka was the much more exotic place, and had more interesting things. But maybe because I felt like I saw the more interesting things in Sri Lanka, where I didn't quite make it to the most interesting things that Taiwan has to offer, that makes me want to see a bit more of it.
Hmmm, you didn't visit any of the ancient cities of Anuradhapura, Pollonaruwa, rock fortress of Sigirya, cave temples of Dambulla, any of the wildlife reserves (Sri Lanka boasts 8 world heritage sites)? For me those were the highlights of Sri Lanka, there are ruins as old as Roman ruins, a rarity in Asia east of the Persia. Kandy was interesting though, liked Nurawa-Eliya too, World's End, Horton plains...Colombo was kinda dull, Hikkaduwa was an alright beach resort, Galle was interesting...the south coast is a great place to see blue whales (one of the best in the world, another secret of Ceylon). The north and east has more Tamil culture.

For Taiwan, the mountain scenery of Yushan/Jade Mountain, Snow Mountain, Sheipa, Taroko Gorge and the sheer cliffs of the east coast, and aboriginal culture is what interests me most, although Taipei is a fun city.

Yes...in Sri Lanka you still see most people wearing traditional clothing. Men in sarongs, women in saris...definitely more rustic.

I think you should go back to Sri Lanka, I think you missed some of the more interesting things there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia