Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I'm going down to there five places later in August this Summer. Thought I'd post this for discussions, comments, thoughts, stories, suggestions, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm going down to there five places later in August this Summer. Thought I'd post this for discussions, comments, thoughts, stories, suggestions, etc.
Been to all apart from Burma(so close to going on several occassions though)
Not a big Bali fan,but certainly away from the main centres the island is attractive.
Do like Indonesia as a nation as it is so diverse and warm people.Have travelled through Java and Sumatra as well as some of the islands.
Sometimes a little hard going but worth it.

Malaysia used to know very well having lived there,but the changes have been so rapid in recent years it feels almost like another country.Singapore is fine for what it is but was not a place I ever felt the need to spend more than a week at any one time,these days I wouldn't even spend that.

Be interested to get your impressions of all these countries.
Good travels.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 PM

68 posts, read 681,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Malaysia is interesting. Being a Muslem country with lots of Hindus, the religion there is very interesting. Although I thought Kuala Lumpur sucked. Go to the smaller cities for a better experience.

Singapore is fascinating. Just the fact that it's so small and dense. It's a pretty interesting thing to see. It's expensive though, and it's strictly an urban experience.

I've never been to the other places. Later this year I will backpack around South Asia and go through Sri Lanka and Yangoon and many other places. Should be awesome.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post
Malaysia is interesting. Being a Muslem country with lots of Hindus, the religion there is very interesting. Although I thought Kuala Lumpur sucked. Go to the smaller cities for a better experience.

Singapore is fascinating. Just the fact that it's so small and dense. It's a pretty interesting thing to see. It's expensive though, and it's strictly an urban experience.

I've never been to the other places. Later this year I will backpack around South Asia and go through Sri Lanka and Yangoon and many other places. Should be awesome.
There are a few Buddhists as well......and Christians for that matter.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post

I found KL quite nice and they even have an great transport system and thought the Petronas towers were really cool. I generally prefered the smaller cities such as Malacca, Penang and Kuching. Singapore is quite interesting. However there is not an great deal to do there but definitely worth the visit.

I also not been to the other places too so cant judge.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 PM

Malaysia is interesting as the West Coast is heavily Chinese influenced and very different from the East Coast which is Malay and Muslim. The further one moves up the East the more conservative it becomes. Some lovely beaches on the East and islands to visit and stay.
KL has developed very rapidly. Until recently the two towers were the tallest buildings in the world.

Malacca,one of my favourites,famous for it's history has changed a lot in recent times as well. Used to live there for a couple of years and hope to return for a visit soon to check out the changes taken place.
Just hope they haven't sanitised the old town too much.

Penang is the popular place for expats and tourists. I feel it was better years ago but that's just me. Worth going to for sure if never been.
Cameroon Highlands is a good stop over for a few days. Nice change from the humidity at ground level and can get almost cold.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
I've never been to Bali before but everyone I talk to says stay away from Kuta. I'll be in Ubud later this month. I'll report back

Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I've never been to Bali before but everyone I talk to says stay away from Kuta. I'll be in Ubud later this month. I'll report back
I've heard the same! I'll be there next month, so looking forward to hearing about it.

As to the thread, Sri Lanka and Myanmar will also be new for me.

I have been to Malaysia and Singapore before, but always more to explore.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 PM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
Singapore is boring unless you like shopping or gambling.

I preferred Penang to KL.

Burma is a very interesting place but a pain to get a VISA for.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Singapore is boring unless you like shopping or gambling.

I preferred Penang to KL.

Burma is a very interesting place but a pain to get a VISA for.
Gambling? As in Poker? Or just slot machines?

I've been to Singapore a few times...I personally always liked the neighborhoods like Little India, Chinatown, etc. Sentosa's beaches seem like it might be interesting. Mostly always been into the very international selection of restaurants, which is a welcome change from northeast Asia.

What's this about gambling though? Didn't realize SG had that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia