Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I've heard the same about Korean men, that many are incapable of even boiling an egg lol. Sounds a lot like America in the 50s, I suppose, although aren't a lot of Korean women working long hours too?

Singapore is equal since most women work flat-out too, these double income families hire maids to do the housework and raise the kids (more like a servant/nanny combo) and the kids often see the maid as more of a mother than their real mum.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:07 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Singapore and Taiwan are probably the most gender equal societies in Asia, maybe Thailand, Philippines too?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:17 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times
For a Muslim country Indonesia is doing pretty great, but in certain conservative areas in the countryside, women aren't as respected, but it seems there are large growing number of the women in Indonesia seems to be independent on their own. Though mentality of husband providing everything for wife is still very common.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,942 times
Top 10 most gender equal countries in the world | Forum:Blog Forum:Blog | The World Economic Forum

We have Filipinas working as welder, construction worker, bus and train driver, lol boxer (Ana Julaton), we have in military & police, and government official which is mostly under men's position.I guess both gender equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySSWjB5m5Ug

Last edited by pinai; 04-13-2014 at 03:54 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 PM

177 posts, read 269,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems things are more equal in China in some ways. Women play a greater role in the workforce, they seem more forceful, emancipated, and in the home Chinese women seem more dominant and assertive, not just letting their man boss them around.
Japan and Korea are advanced economies. When I think of Chinese women in the workforce I think of teenage girls working in jeans factories making cheap clothes for the U.S.
Or planting rice.
I don't think these countries are even comparable.
I can speak for Korean women, we control the households finances and men get pocket money.
Almost 80% of Korean women have college degrees.
Don't make generalizations based on haters' posts here. I find it extremely laughable.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM

177 posts, read 269,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard the same about Korean men, that many are incapable of even boiling an egg lol. Sounds a lot like America in the 50s, I suppose, although aren't a lot of Korean women working long hours too?

Singapore is equal since most women work flat-out too, these double income families hire maids to do the housework and raise the kids (more like a servant/nanny combo) and the kids often see the maid as more of a mother than their real mum.
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? Do you think Koreans live in a Muslim country where men have four wives or something?
My significant other does all the chores but cooking, because he sucks at it.
And yes women work very long hours too so it's pretty balanced, especially for the younger generation.
When a woman is a stay at home mom, things are different.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 AM

^ As I've pointed out before, in Asia women often do construction work and other hard manual jobs that you rarely see them do in the West. In that sense they're more equal.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? Do you think Koreans live in a Muslim country where men have four wives or something?
My significant other does all the chores but cooking, because he sucks at it.
And yes women work very long hours too so it's pretty balanced, especially for the younger generation.
When a woman is a stay at home mom, things are different.
Yeah this is what i've heard, I don't know how true it is. I'm sure there are many exceptions, I guess that's the idea people have. I'm guessing it's still more typical for women to go into the workforce after marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia