Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, why is Israel included in the Eurovision Song Festival ( Biggest song festival in Europe of European countries ) . Is it because the Israelis feel more European than being Asian because of their looks ? Is it their lifestyle ? Do they feel outcasted in Asia ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Turkey, Cypress, Georgia and Azerbaijan are also in the contest. I think it's just because those countries are close enough to Europe that they were allowed to join in.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Turkey, Cypress, Georgia and Azerbaijan are also in the contest. I think it's just because those countries are close enough to Europe that they were allowed to join in.
I think Turkey is closer to Europe but Israel seems closer to Asia.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Just wondering, why is Israel included in the Eurovision Song Festival ( Biggest song festival in Europe of European countries ) . Is it because the Israelis feel more European than being Asian because of their looks ? Is it their lifestyle ? Do they feel outcasted in Asia ?
Actually, a lot of Israelites are also European origin. I don't know if you already heard about the coming of European Holocaust refugees in the Philippines. They were European Jews, some of them escaped in the holocaust and went to the Philippines because Philippines was the only country who gave them a visa. They were like 1,200 to 1,300 mostly Germans. Then a lot of them moved to Israel when they finally have their own place to live and I don't know if they are willing to join in Asian games but they can actually join because they are part of Asia but with regards of the issues about religion & territories. I think it is a complicated case so it's better to avoid I guess.

Last edited by pinai; 04-12-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
The Eurovision Song Contest does not equal European. You just have to be a participating member of the European Broadcasting Union. Morocco was in the Eurovision in 1980. Lebanon was set to send a song in 2005 but withdrew due to Lebanon's law of barring the broadcast of Israeli content.

All countries participating in the Eurovision don't have to be European. I mean Azerbaijan is hardly what springs to mind when you think of Europe.

Eligibility to participate is not determined by geographic inclusion within the continent of Europe, despite the "Euro" in "Eurovision" — nor does it have any relation to the European Union. Several countries geographically outside the boundaries of Europe have competed: Israel, Cyprus and Armenia in Western Asia (Cyprus and Armenia are members of the Council of Europe and Cyprus is a member state of the European Union), since 1973, 1981, 2006 respectively; and Morocco, in North Africa, in the 1980 competition alone. In addition, several transcontinental countries with only part of their territory in Europe have competed: Turkey, since 1975; Russia, since 1994; Georgia, since 2007; and Azerbaijan, which made its first appearance in the 2008 edition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest

Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Actually, a lot of Israelites are also European origin. I don't know if you already heard about the coming of European Holocaust refugees in the Philippines. They were European Jews, some of them escaped in the holocaust and went to the Philippines because Philippines was the only country who gave them a visa. They were like 1,200 to 1,300 mostly Germans. Then a lot of them moved to Israel when they finally have their own place to live and I don't know if they are willing to join in Asian games but they can actually join because they are part of Asia but with regards of the issues about religion & territories. I think it is a complicated case so it's better to avoid I guess.
Yes I know they were in Europe before mostly Polland. But I am just talking about the Israel now.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Imaginary lines don't work for continents like Africa, Europe, or Asia.

Israel is technically apart of Asia but it's no more Asian than Egypt is African or Turkey is European. All of these countries are solidly the Middle East, which isn't a continent but a sub-region that overlaps territories in three different continents.

At least the way I've always figured it.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The Eurovision Song Contest does not equal European. You just have to be a participating member of the European Broadcasting Union. Morocco was in the Eurovision in 1980. Lebanon was set to send a song in 2005 but withdrew due to Lebanon's law of barring the broadcast of Israeli content.

All countries participating in the Eurovision don't have to be European. I mean Azerbaijan is hardly what springs to mind when you think of Europe.

Eligibility to participate is not determined by geographic inclusion within the continent of Europe, despite the "Euro" in "Eurovision" — nor does it have any relation to the European Union. Several countries geographically outside the boundaries of Europe have competed: Israel, Cyprus and Armenia in Western Asia (Cyprus and Armenia are members of the Council of Europe and Cyprus is a member state of the European Union), since 1973, 1981, 2006 respectively; and Morocco, in North Africa, in the 1980 competition alone. In addition, several transcontinental countries with only part of their territory in Europe have competed: Turkey, since 1975; Russia, since 1994; Georgia, since 2007; and Azerbaijan, which made its first appearance in the 2008 edition.
Eurovision Song Contest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the information Bernie

Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Actually Israel also participates in the European Basketball Cup Championships as well as the Eurovision. From my understanding it was because Israel used to be completely isolated in from its Arab neighbors and a lot of its surrounding Asian neighbors. Therefore the Europeans allowed it to participate in their European events.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually Israel also participates in the European Basketball Cup Championships as well as the Eurovision. From my understanding it was because Israel used to be completely isolated in from its Arab neighbors and a lot of its surrounding Asian neighbors. Therefore the Europeans allowed it to participate in their European events.
Yes they are really quite outcasted from the neighbouring Arab countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia