Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,065 times

Advertisements

Hi, as the threads name suggests I posting this thread to ask from people who have been to china specifically Beijing, on how to act or more accurately greet someone while I'm in china. I live in 2 weeks and I don't want to end offending them bye shaking there hand instead of bowing or something like that. To give you some back ground I'm a White Hispanic college student that is going to china in a group as part of the college's study abroad program and will be in china for the first 3wks of July. my visa,housing,transport to from and in china have already been arranged, as well as my food and itinerary while I'm there. I just need to know what are the do's and don't of china? like is it okay for us to speak Spanish while we are there are would that be viewed as rude? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Unlike the USA, people are not reviled or vilified in other countries if they if they speak their own language to each other while traveling abroad. Nobody there will wonder "why can't these rude and ignorant people speak (and think and dream) in Chinese when they are in our country?"

The Chinese have seen plenty lf American films, so they are very familiar with American social customs, and will not be offended if you address them in a way that would not be offensive to an American. Meanwhile, watch them for clues about body language, personal space, etc.

The most important thing is to, before you even depart, assume an attitude and mindset that the Chinese are nice and honorable and moral and honest and hospitable and friendly people, whose culture has served them well for many centuries, and make it a point to treat every single one of them with respect and mindful if his dignity. You will meet a few who are having a bad hair day, or too busy at the moment to deal with you, or, like in the US, just nor very nice individuals. Get them behind you and move on. In general, the Chinese will return to you the same respect that you offer them -- but don't expect more respect than you are wiling to give.

All of the above applies to all countries, and China is no different from anywhere else in that respect.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unlike the USA, people are not reviled or vilified in other countries if they if they speak their own language to each other while traveling abroad. Nobody there will wonder "why can't these rude and ignorant people speak (and think and dream) in Chinese when they are in our country?"

The Chinese have seen plenty lf American films, so they are very familiar with American social customs, and will not be offended if you address them in a way that would not be offensive to an American. Meanwhile, watch them for clues about body language, personal space, etc.

The most important thing is to, before you even depart, assume an attitude and mindset that the Chinese are nice and honorable and moral and honest and hospitable and friendly people, whose culture has served them well for many centuries, and make it a point to treat every single one of them with respect and mindful if his dignity. You will meet a few who are having a bad hair day, or too busy at the moment to deal with you, or, like in the US, just nor very nice individuals. Get them behind you and move on. In general, the Chinese will return to you the same respect that you offer them -- but don't expect more respect than you are wiling to give.

All of the above applies to all countries, and China is no different from anywhere else in that respect.
okay I figured the treat other how you wish to be treated rule would apply in china but some of the things I've heard are that if they see an american passport is that they expect English.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,613,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
okay I figured the treat other how you wish to be treated rule would apply in china but some of the things I've heard are that if they see an american passport is that they expect English.
How will they see your passport? Do you plan to wear it around your neck? Isn't your study program giving any cultural tips?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,366 times
When greeting someone just say "hello" or "ni hao" if you can remember that. Chinese don't bow when greeting. Also try to remember the Chinese phrase for thank you "xie xie" as you'll probably want to use it a lot. Speaking another language should be no problem. Keep in mind though that China is very different from the U.S. as I find the people there incredibly ignorant and naïve when it comes to foreigners. So many preconceptions about you will be based on skin color alone, forget nationality. As a white person you'll probably be treated better than the average Chinese person by other Chinese (yes Chinese like whites more than other Chinese) and people will want to practice their English with you, just be careful for ripoffs. Consider yourself lucky you're not darker skinned in China, they hate darker skinned people in general.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
How will they see your passport? Do you plan to wear it around your neck? Isn't your study program giving any cultural tips?
I meant customs.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,366 times
Quote:
I meant customs.
Never mind about customs, it's just a few minute process. They just look at your passport and wave you through. Sometimes you don't even have to talk. Everything's about skin color in China, even if people know I'm an American, I'm also Asian (though not Chinese) and they expect me to speak Chinese upon first glance. When I speak English they look at me like I'm an alien or something. Sometimes they can't even believe an American can be of Asian descent. That's the ignorance of China for you.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
When greeting someone just say "hello" or "ni hao" if you can remember that. Chinese don't bow when greeting. Also try to remember the Chinese phrase for thank you "xie xie" as you'll probably want to use it a lot. Speaking another language should be no problem. Keep in mind though that China is very different from the U.S. as I find the people there incredibly ignorant and naïve when it comes to foreigners. So many preconceptions about you will be based on skin color alone, forget nationality. As a white person you'll probably be treated better than the average Chinese person by other Chinese (yes Chinese like whites more than other Chinese) and people will want to practice their English with you, just be careful for ripoffs. Consider yourself lucky you're not darker skinned in China, they hate darker skinned people in general.
Well one of you has to be wrong.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,613,044 times
Quote:
Well one of you has to be wrong.
You'll have a much better experience if you follow the first guy's advice.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,016,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Never mind about customs, it's just a few minute process. They just look at your passport and wave you through. Sometimes you don't even have to talk. Everything's about skin color in China, even if people know I'm an American, I'm also Asian (though not Chinese) and they expect me to speak Chinese upon first glance. When I speak English they look at me like I'm an alien or something. Sometimes they can't even believe an American can be of Asian descent. That's the ignorance of China for you.
Shouldn't they be able to understand most non-Chinese asians can't speak Chinese language? Especially the Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Mongolians, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia