Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Freezing forest in tropical Thailand? lol.

A lot of these monks don't really work much, mostly meditate and read the scriptures, they collect alms from people too.
we have thai monks and retreats here and it does get cold at night here in the mountains.
been there done that.
LOL at what?
other people and their religion?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I've been dating a Thai here in the US for a few months. She says in Thailand, she used to go to a temple with regularity, but hasn't gone once in Boston, not particularly caring to do so either. I bet it's probably like religion everywhere else- on the decline and largely just a cultural habit.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we have thai monks and retreats here and it does get cold at night here in the mountains.
been there done that.
LOL at what?
other people and their religion?
Maybe some of the northern mountains, but certainly not BKK and most of Thailand.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM

27 posts, read 46,039 times
Quote:
Maybe some of the northern mountains, but certainly not BKK and most of Thailand.
i'm curious how many Thai people you've been observed since you said most of Thailand.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyarap View Post
i'm curious how many Thai people you've been observed since you said most of Thailand.
I was in Bangkok and it was about 19C...it was a balmy night for me and my tuk tuk driver was like 'it's cold, isn't it?' It's all relative. Thais will probably consider 19C 'freezing.'

Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
I was in Bangkok and it was about 19C...it was a balmy night for me and my tuk tuk driver was like 'it's cold, isn't it?' It's all relative. Thais will probably consider 19C 'freezing.'
That's pretty cold for Bangkok, the coldest temperatures i've ever witnessed in Thailand was 14C and that was on the mountains in Chiang Mai.
Don't think i've ever saw the temperature in Bangkok below 22C.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
That's pretty cold for Bangkok, the coldest temperatures i've ever witnessed in Thailand was 14C and that was on the mountains in Chiang Mai.
Yes it is, it's like a typical night in the cool season, I was there in December. I should say there was a bit of a breeze riding on the tuk tuk, but people there just aren't used to any kind of coolness at all.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
It depends on weather conditions. Sometimes cold fronts coming out of Russia and China can drop down to BKK latitudes making it feel pretty chilly. Another factor is when there's a considerable and rapid drop between day and night temps, and you hop a tuk-tuk around 4 or 5 AM. That extra breeze from the tuk-tuk ride in addition to cooler air temps can feel rather brisk. When you've become more acclimated, you can notice the difference. As you indicate, Thais do notice it. Typically in BKK, night temps are still usually pretty hot and humid though. When we arrive in Thailand (about midnight), the first thing I notice is getting hit with a hot, humid blast of air when I reach the door to exit the plane. The first thought I have is, yep, we're in Thailand.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
In the North during the cool season, when day temps hover around 32C then drop down to 18C or so at night, those low temps can feel chilly. We hopped a tuk-tuk from the north side of Chiang Mai for a breezy ride to the airport about 5AM. That was in the month of January. I'm not sure what the temp was, but I was thinking I should've worn shoes (instead of flip-flops) and a jacket.

Chiang Mai is pretty much part of the foothills of the Himalayas. During the Cool Season in the higher mountainous elevations of Northern Thailand, although it never snows, it can get cool enough at night for frost to form on the peaks. Melts off quickly after the sun and temp rises though.
Thai highlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It depends on weather conditions. Sometimes cold fronts coming out of Russia and China can drop down to BKK latitudes making it feel pretty chilly. Another factor is when there's a considerable and rapid drop between day and night temps, and you hop a tuk-tuk around 4 or 5 AM. That extra breeze from the tuk-tuk ride in addition to cooler air temps can feel rather brisk. When you've become more acclimated, you can notice the difference. As you indicate, Thais do notice it. Typically in BKK, night temps are still usually pretty hot and humid though. When we arrive in Thailand (about midnight), the first thing I notice is getting hit with a hot, humid blast of air when I reach the door to exit the plane. The first thought I have is, yep, we're in Thailand.
Yes it was after midnight on the way back to my hotel in December. December in BKK is much like December in well, Perth, haha. Or more January. 19-30C with generally clear skies and low humidity. I'd actually just come from Hanoi, Vietnam a few days before and it was pretty wintry, highs of 17C, gloomy and a bit drizzly, felt like Perth in winter so BKK felt rather hot again. Sapa at the time was quite cold, with maxima in the 14-15C range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia