Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM

179 posts, read 272,275 times

Advertisements

I have never been to East Asia before, having been born in North America and traveled/lived in Europe and (now) the Middle East.

I leave Sunday morning for 13 days in Indonesia, and I have the fortune of visiting friends, but even with their help and desire to arrange a good program for me (which will likely be Jakarta then Yogyakarta then Bali), I would love to get input from people who might be able to suggest things that make my trip even better.

Here's the best I can do for now to list what I like/what I might be looking for:

I'm a late 20s male. I am definitely big into fashion, and even though I am not looking to drop lots of money, I would like to find some cool stuff while in Indonesia. Specifically, I need a nice pair of black dress pants (not sure if going to a tailor or buying something off the rack is more advised in Jakarta or elsewhere), a stylish messenger bag (almost definitely black), and perhaps some other things I happen upon (dress shirts, t-shirts, a pair of dark blue jeans, shoes, some fun stuff). I tend to go for European/Turkish styles and cuts over an American look. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for shopping in Indonesia (specifically, those 3 cities mentioned above, but other places just in case I go there). Which stores are available in Indonesia but not in the Gulf or the U.S.? Are prices for certain items cheaper than in the Gulf/the U.S.? Which types of things? For anyone who is really knowledgeable with prices and selection, I will soon be in Beirut (mid-July) and I work in Riyadh, so any comparisons relating to what I can access in those cities are much appreciated.

Which bookstore would have the biggest selection of books on sociology/cultural studies/history/current events?

I love going to cultural events. Are there concerts/dance shows/festivals/things you recommend?

I am a definite city person, but I would love to take advantage of "unique to Indonesia" experiences which may be away from the urban landscape. Which places are geographically interesting and different from what I may have seen in the U.S./Europe/the Gulf? What do you consider the most beautiful places in Indonesia?

Which spots in Jakarta do you recommend in terms of beauty (a park perhaps), uniqueness (a restaurant, a museum, anything), or any other feature? Which eateries and food/drinks from supermarkets should I try? I love sweets (ice cream, candy, chocolate, bakeries); any suggestions based on your experiences? I love tennis, so if there is any cool shop or anything at all related to it, please fill me in.

I prefer walking around places, not taking taxis all the time (though public transportation that gets me where I want is fine). Which areas in Jakarta/Yogyakarta/Bali are great for walking and exploring?

Finally, what are some not-too-expensive gifts I could get in Indonesia for a) the students I teach in Saudi Arabia and b) my family in North America? No t-shirts, mugs, or related suggestions, but perhaps some nonperishable food item/gift that is unique to Indonesia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
That's interesting. Sounds like basically you're taking it as a big shopping trip looking for fashion, malls, bookstores, etc.

Well, Jarkata has a lot of malls. Most of the same stuff that's in any mall anywhere in the world.

Yogjkarta and Bali are filled with Indonesian culture. But, for malls, Jakarta is tops for that. I've spent a month in Indonesia, but malls and shopping were low priority, so not sure the prices for those types of things. As a general rule, cheap quality local stuff will be cheap, and high quality western stuff will be even more expensive than the west.

Hmm...books on sociology/cultural studies/history/current events. There are certainly bookstores throughout the world. But, generally speaking, they'll be cheaper in the U.S., especially as I imagine you want English books. Usually in other countries, they increase the prices due to import taxes and such.

Cultural Events. I hope you like Indonesian ones! Sounds like you are looking for mostly western ones. But Yogjakarta is absolutely filled with them. All Indonesian! Beautiful too. Bali has a ton as well. Just open up any tour guide book, and you'll read about all of them. I'd go to your nearby bookstore and open up a Lonely Planet guide. I'd have to resort to it myself right now, just to try to remember all the different types and names.

Regarding walking around. Well, Yogjakarta and Bali are hugely popular tourist areas where people walk around all the time. Jakarta, you can also walk around there easily. You might have to take a taxi at times too though. The U.S. is designed around a car. Once you get out of the U.S., you'll see other countries are very designed for practicality and strolling and such. It'll be hot though.

Gifts. Probably batik wood.

I'd highly recommend going to the bookstore, buying a Lonely Planet guide, and read up on Bali and Yogjakarta. Both are highly popular places with so many Indonesian things. I think you'll certainly enjoy them. I'd describe them more in detail, but I could only scratch the surface with what's available, and I'd have to open up other webpages to remember them all. All of the information is certainly available all over the internet.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-17-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times

cant really help you when it comes to shopping. like tiger says jakarta has a lot of malls, but i don't go to them to shop, i go to them to um ppl watch

how do you plan on getting fro yogakarta to bali? if overland/ferry i would recommend a visit to mount bromo along the way. defo something you can't find in the middle east or north america. or anywhere except another planet maybe.

good day trip from yogakarta is borobodur or something.

where are you planning on staying in bali?

you dont really have enough time to do much by the looks of it. good luck in any case. hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
If you want to buy clothes, made in Indonesia, how about shopping at Walmart.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
Which bookstore would have the biggest selection of books on sociology/cultural studies/history/current events?
you can find it at
Gramedia Book Store
Gajah Mada Street
Jl.Pintu Air 72 JAKARTA
Jl. Matraman Raya 46-48 JAKARTA

Jl. Melawai III/12-18 & Jl. Melawai IV/13
Blok M South Jakarta

Quote:
I love going to cultural events. Are there concerts/dance shows/festivals/things you recommend?
1. Jakarta Fair 09 June to 10 July
2. 11 June 2011 to 9 July 2011 Bali Art Festival In Bali

Quote:
the most beautiful places in Indonesia?
1. Samosir Island & Toba Lake at North Sumatera >> Original Ethnic
2. Lombok Island (Near to Bali)
3. Pulau Bintan & Batam, Riau >> best beach
4. Kaliurang, Yogyakarta
5. PUlau Moyo West Nusa Tenggara
6. Bunaken North Sulawesi best for dive
7. Kampung Sampireun, Garut, Jawa Barat best for cycling
8. Belitung
9. Tanjung Lesung Banten near Jakarta
10. Takabonerate Island best for dive
11. Kelimutu 3 colour lake
12. Bromo vulcanolog tour
13. Toraja South sulawesi alot of traditional womb and festival

Quote:
I prefer walking around places, not taking taxis all the time (though public transportation that gets me where I want is fine). Which areas in Jakarta/Yogyakarta/Bali are great for walking and exploring?
In Jakarta you can walk around Monas, sometimes Car Free day on Sunday in Sudirman & Thamrin Street

Quote:
Finally, what are some not-too-expensive gifts I could get in Indonesia for a) the students I teach in Saudi Arabia and b) my family in North America? No t-shirts, mugs, or related suggestions, but perhaps some nonperishable food item/gift that is unique to Indonesia.
1. Batik (Java ethnic clothe)
2. Ulos (Batak ethnic clothe/shawl)
3. Various cheap accessories in pasar baru Jakarta

Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 AM

372 posts, read 1,007,041 times
very interesting your article, many places in Indonesia are the best such as : temple Borobudur / Prambanan, Bunaken marine park, Jayawijaya and Carstensz Peak, Lake three color Flores, Komodo Island, Mount Bromo, Puncak Bogor you can do paragliding action over tea gardens

^ ^ a very beautiful tea gardens in Bandung and Bogor..
01. Kebun Teh ( Bandung )
https://www.google.com/search?q=kebu...facrc=_&imgdii

02. Puncak Bogor ( Bogor )
https://www.google.com/search?q=punc...univ&sa=X&ei=Z

I think the clothes of batik is souvenir the very appropriate for you to take home, like foreign tourists do.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

cant really help you when it comes to shopping. like tiger says jakarta has a lot of malls, but i don't go to them to shop, i go to them to um ppl watch

how do you plan on getting fro yogakarta to bali? if overland/ferry i would recommend a visit to mount bromo along the way. defo something you can't find in the middle east or north america. or anywhere except another planet maybe.

good day trip from yogakarta is borobodur or something.

where are you planning on staying in bali?

you dont really have enough time to do much by the looks of it. good luck in any case. hope you find what you're looking for.
Unless it's shopping for girls .

I recently returned from Bali. I posted another topic about it. Loved the hospitality, food and Ubud - the architecture, culture, as well as the countryside with the volcanoes and temples and stuff. Seminyak-Kuta, not my cuppa, good place for food and a cheap massage, and maybe watersports.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 AM

81 posts, read 246,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
very interesting your article, many places in Indonesia are the best such as : temple Borobudur / Prambanan, Bunaken marine park, Jayawijaya and Carstensz Peak, Lake three color Flores, Komodo Island, Mount Bromo, Puncak Bogor you can do paragliding action over tea gardens

^ ^ a very beautiful tea gardens in Bandung and Bogor..
01. Kebun Teh ( Bandung )
https://www.google.com/search?q=kebu...facrc=_&imgdii

02. Puncak Bogor ( Bogor )
https://www.google.com/search?q=punc...univ&sa=X&ei=Z

I think the clothes of batik is souvenir the very appropriate for you to take home, like foreign tourists do.
why do you dig up old threads?
in case you didn't now, the OP already went on this trip in 2011 it's 2014 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia