Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 AM

101 posts, read 326,770 times

Advertisements

Maybe you're just very used to pleasantries. I'm not businesslike in nature but I certainly don't smile or talk to people I don't know. And give the briefest response if someone else initiated the talk, which mostly come in the form of questions if they're complete strangers. And another important point is I don't engage in small talk and hate doing it. I don't think it's impolite, just aloof.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
Maybe you're just very used to pleasantries. I'm not businesslike in nature but I certainly don't smile or talk to people I don't know. And give the briefest response if someone else initiated the talk, which mostly come in the form of questions if they're complete strangers. And another important point is I don't engage in small talk and hate doing it. I don't think it's impolite, just aloof.
I notice Singaporeans tend to be less friendly, more frowns than Singapore, even my uni friends asked how much more people in Malaysia smiled than in Singapore. Maybe it's changing now, though. Since I don't speak Mandarin it's hard to directly compare China to Singapore and Malaysia, where I could speak to a lot more people.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I notice Singaporeans tend to be less friendly, more frowns than Singapore, even my uni friends asked how much more people in Malaysia smiled than in Singapore. Maybe it's changing now, though. Since I don't speak Mandarin it's hard to directly compare China to Singapore and Malaysia, where I could speak to a lot more people.
I think Singaporeans are nicer compare to Hongkong people . They are also more cultured... more courteous.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think Singaporeans are nicer compare to Hongkong people . They are also more cultured... more courteous.
Maybe yeah, they still seem a bit black-faced, but it's probably not as bad as I used to think. I still think Malaysia is better overall though.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Actually the most rude Chinese restaurant I have been to have been in Norway, not in China. Chinese people don't like rude waiters either. Rude places lose customers, hence provided you don't go to a very cheap place you are likely to get decent customer service. But remember that in China they are not trying to be your friend, they will take your order and leave. However, at a decent restaurant they won't be rude.

I think it is due to culture. Without incentives Chinese culture often turn ugly. The customer service given from public institutions such as the police is absolutely horrible. And if a restaurant has monopoly on a place the customer service is likely to be very poor. The reason is because Chinese people under communism was never rewarded for putting in the extra mile, hence they never bothered.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually the most rude Chinese restaurant I have been to have been in Norway, not in China.
Tao at Aker Brygge in Oslo? I ate there some months ago. The service was terrible and the food was below average. The owner is Chinese.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually the most rude Chinese restaurant I have been to have been in Norway, not in China. Chinese people don't like rude waiters either. Rude places lose customers, hence provided you don't go to a very cheap place you are likely to get decent customer service. But remember that in China they are not trying to be your friend, they will take your order and leave. However, at a decent restaurant they won't be rude.

I think it is due to culture. Without incentives Chinese culture often turn ugly. The customer service given from public institutions such as the police is absolutely horrible. And if a restaurant has monopoly on a place the customer service is likely to be very poor. The reason is because Chinese people under communism was never rewarded for putting in the extra mile, hence they never bothered.
A lot of Chinese don't seem to care much for customer service. They just go in, order and leave. They aren't the most friendly themselves either. I guess its just how they are when eating out.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:11 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Tao at Aker Brygge in Oslo? I ate there some months ago. The service was terrible and the food was below average. The owner is Chinese.
Actually I was thinking about the Chinese restaurant on the bottom of Oslo city. I am sure the one you mentioned is bad too.

I am not in Norway much and I was really surprised how badly he treats his customers, cause they are not like that in China. Even most cheap places still treat you with respect. Although some will use very cheap materials such as gutter oil so be careful.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Gutter oil?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 AM

359 posts, read 658,562 times
Seinfeld. Table for 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia