Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times

Advertisements

some Chinese people is just stunning. As much as I am pro-China, this is one ugly blemish that I think most Chinese would be embarrassed and ashamed to support...

ÏÖ³¡Ö±»÷ÓñÁÖ¹···µ±½ÖÅ°¹· ²ÒÎÞÈ˵À -6park.com

During the solstice, the city of Yulin in Guangxi, Southwest China has a dog festival where people eat lychee and dogs. Many dog lovers have congregated there to protest against the festival, and in the story above, some of these dog vendors are demanding a huge price to sell their dogs to these dog lovers, or they threaten to kill the dogs right there.....how cruel. You see a kind hearted Chinese woman paying a huge amount of money just to buy a little puppy to save it from a horrid fate. I am not a vegetarian, but to do this sort of grotesque killing in broad daylight with a certain glee in their faces is just so barbaric.

I just dont understand why, for all of its power and ability to control, the Chinese government does not even try to enact anti-cruelty laws.

I know about the US agro-businesses and all the videos of cruelty against pigs, chickens and cattle. But the US does have anti-cruelty laws in every state etc. China has absolutely nothing. A real shame. And China is supposed to be civilized? I guess for some of you China critics, it is consistent with the way the CHN government treats its own citizens? I do see your point.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM

36 posts, read 49,257 times
Its a cultural thing. When cows or pigs are being slaughtered do you see "kind hearted women" willing to play thousands of dollars to save them?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
There are also Chinese who never kill and never eat meat.
It is just one county in China, among thousands.

However, it is true that China does not have laws to protect common animals.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM

True about the slaughter of pigs and cows. But I have never heard of killing them right out in a public square anywhere in the US, in front of a cheering crowd no less....that's uniquely Chinese and very barbaric. Maybe the Chinese have not grown out of their fondness for public execution spectacle; lots of people find joy and amusement in seeing people getting shot with a bullet behind their heads, watching roosters fight to the death, and seeing dogs getting beaten to death with bats and rods etc right in front of kids and families cheering on the killing. All the same I guess. Just barbaric.

The whole thing is also very unsanitary. You can justify it rationally or culturally all you want, but it still look very much like Third World ghetto to me. It's disgusting on so many different levels.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
True about the slaughter of pigs and cows. But I have never heard of killing them right out in a public square anywhere in the US, in front of a cheering crowd no less....that's uniquely Chinese and very barbaric. Maybe the Chinese have not grown out of their fondness for public execution spectacle; lots of people find joy and amusement in seeing people getting shot with a bullet behind their heads, watching roosters fight to the death, and seeing dogs getting beaten to death with bats and rods etc right in front of kids and families cheering on the killing. All the same I guess. Just barbaric.

The whole thing is also very unsanitary. You can justify it rationally or culturally all you want, but it still look very much like Third World ghetto to me. It's disgusting on so many different levels.
I suppose that sort of barbarism was present in many cultures, like public executions, bull-baiting, horrible executions in Europe, so it's certainly not unique to China, but of course it's not acceptable.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,328 times
Most people in China know most Chinese do not eat dogs oftenly. Dog eating is one reason Northern Chinese called the Southern Chinese as barbarians. China is a large country with large differences in culture and habits in different regions. Major cities in China are melting pots with people from different parts of China and lots of conflicts.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingspf View Post
Most people in China know most Chinese do not eat dogs oftenly. Dog eating is one reason Northern Chinese called the Southern Chinese as barbarians. China is a large country with large differences in culture and habits in different regions. Major cities in China are melting pots with people from different parts of China and lots of conflicts.
No, it's not a regular food in China or other countries where dogs are eaten. Plus historically many cultures have eaten dog, not just Asians.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:39 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
I don't eat human food but i think i would make an exception for the guys cheering in the pics.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
With respect to food, Japan seems to be the most "normal" country in Asia.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
With respect to food, Japan seems to be the most "normal" country in Asia.
Except the whale meat that they hunt, despite international outcry. Have you seen the annual butchering of dolphins by certain Japanese village?

Regardless of what the Japanese or American Agro business do, China needs to shut these dog eating festivals down. Just so barbaric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia