Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times

Advertisements

Well I am Catholic Filipino, I just want to know the rest of Asian Catholic on how do they celebrate the holy week celebration. Starting this Monday until Easter Sunday this week will be Holy Week for all Catholics. Well we know other countries celebrate 'Egg Hunting' for Easter Sunday.

In the Philippines we do have 'Pabasa ng Pasyon' or (Reading the Passion of Christ)

Pabasa Santa Rosa - YouTube

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabasa_(ritual)

Visita Iglesia

Philippine Travel Guide : Holy Week [part 1] - YouTube
Visiting the 7 Churches with has blessed Sacrament

Seven Churches Visitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Others they do self flagellation or those who crucify themselves which the Church is against it
but anyone are free to express what they believe in so not all Filipino Catholics do the same practices.

Sinakulo
(It is a Lenten Play that is dramatic presentation of
Passion of Christ)

sinakulo-bata pa - 06.wmv - YouTube

Good Friday is usually the Procession

Good Friday Parade (Holy Week 2010)- Intramuros, Manila, Philippines - YouTube

Easter Sunday is usually a 'Salubong' (meeting) at the dawn of Easter Sunday

Semana Santa & Salubong 2013 - YouTube

Quote:
Many Catholic practices are creative displays not just of Filipino faith, but of the Filipino culture. One of these is the Salubong, which takes place at dawn on Easter Sunday.

The ritual recreates the imagined first meeting of Jesus and Mary after the resurrection
Quote:
But unlike other Holy Week practices like the Penitensya which is disapproved by the Catholic Church hierarchy, the Salubong is actually supported by them, even with its lack of basis in the Bible, but rooted in the dynamics of Filipino family relations.

“It is actually initiated by the Church,” Subida said. He added that the Salubong is a manifestation of the value Filipinos place on family.
Easter Salubong: Rooted in culture, family ties | Lifestyle | GMA News Online

Moriones Festival in Marinduque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w7hy5ENlIY

Quote:
Moriones Festival is a religious festival held annually in Marinduque during the Holy Week. The Moriones are male and female participants who dress like Roman soldiers in commemoration of Saint Longinus, the Roman soldier who stabbed Jesus on his side. "Morion" , literally means mask which was a part of the Roman soldiers' armor.

Last edited by pinai; 04-14-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
I can't answer your question, but in Sri Lanka I was in Negombo, a town north of Colombo that's over 80% Catholic. It was just before Christmas and they were singing carols in English outside an old church. Quite nice.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I can't answer your question, but in Sri Lanka I was in Negombo, a town north of Colombo that's over 80% Catholic. It was just before Christmas and they were singing carols in English outside an old church. Quite nice.
hmmm I would like to know other Asian Catholic practices and to get to know them too as much as we'd like to share our own too so we'll get to know better

I know Indians has so many Catholic Christians as I always see them in the church and they actually have their own Indian Mass.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
hmmm I would like to know other Asian Catholic practices and to get to know them too as much as we'd like to share our own too so we'll get to know better

I know Indians has so many Catholic Christians as I always see them in the church and they actually have their own Indian Mass.
Not by percentage, but out of a population of 1.2 billion 2% of so is still a large figure. States like Kerala are particularly Christian, mostly Catholic, like over 25%. Kerala is also known as one of the wealthier, more progressive and equal states in India. Being a British colony I find it interesting there are far more Catholics than Protestants in India.

In Vietnam there are whole towns dominated by churches, statues of Jesus and Mary.etc. It has quite a few impressive Cathedral, including of course Notre Damme in Ho Chi Minh City.

Singapore is about 8% Catholic.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/asia/...ndia-than.html

Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not by percentage, but out of a population of 1.2 billion 2% of so is still a large figure. States like Kerala are particularly Christian, mostly Catholic, like over 25%. Kerala is also known as one of the wealthier, more progressive and equal states in India. Being a British colony I find it interesting there are far more Catholics than Protestants in India.

In Vietnam there are whole towns dominated by churches, statues of Jesus and Mary.etc. It has quite a few impressive Cathedral, including of course Notre Damme in Ho Chi Minh City.

Singapore is about 8% Catholic.

DON BOSCO RELIC WORLD TOUR/ CATHOLIC A FRANCIS SAVIER/INDIA/DBAYM - YouTube
Asian Catholics

Yeah, there's a huge population of Catholics in Asia. It's nice to see different practices and they also apply on their own ethnic culture.

^I think the video is not just Indians? I don't know what the DBAYM stands for?

Mother Theresa is a well known Catholic nun

Last edited by pinai; 04-14-2014 at 03:09 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 03:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
you might find it particularly interesting about the Catholics of Nusa Tengara, they carry cross across towns, though most of the easter in here are mostly mass and decorating boiled eggs, not chocolate.

Town of Larantuka in Flores, a very Portuguese influenced Catholic tradition, with a little tribalism.

Good Friday

Catholic festival "Pekan Semana Santa"

Holy Maria Statue, a pilgrimage point in Larantuka and as well will be carried around town at night with people carrying candles during Semana Santa:

Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post

Catholic festival "Pekan Semana Santa"

This reminds me of Fluvial parade

2014 Fluvial Procession - YouTube
Sinulog Festival of Santo Niño
Austronesian are seafarers.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
This reminds me of Fluvial parade

2014 Fluvial Procession - YouTube
Austronesian are seafarers.
Yes actually you are right, its also mainly because we live in isles..

Wll just so you know that some Catholicism here also are mixed with tradition, Javanese Catholics Mass, with Javanese music (actually reading Our Father prayer while playing music):

Sundanese Mass:

Balinese Mass:

Dayak Mass:

Batak Mass:

Last edited by Goshio22; 04-14-2014 at 04:23 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 03:48 AM

Unfortunately apart from the very Catholic region in Sumba, Timor or Flores. there is nothing much special about the Catholic tradition here, apart from playing the passion of Christ drama in churches. There are a few passion of Christ reenactment during Good Fridays in streets too in areas with significant Catholic community such as the Dayak of Borneo or by the Batak of Sumatra:

In a Javanese Church:

None of them goes as far as actually nailing the hand..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia