Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 AM

89 posts, read 209,912 times

Advertisements

I've read that the pollution has gotten worse over the last decade. Can anyone who lives in Hong Kong confirm the severity of air pollution or how often smog occurs on a monthly/yearly basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
I've read that the pollution has gotten worse over the last decade. Can anyone who lives in Hong Kong confirm the severity of air pollution or how often smog occurs on a monthly/yearly basis?
I notice it more across the China border.

Maybe I'm somewhat densitized though to HK pollution. I don't notice it so much. It probably also helps that it's on the ocean, and you can feel the breeze while walking across many of their overpasses going over the streets.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 10,793 times
People do not really care about it, it is not very serious problem.

Air pollution is actually a problem in Northern China and Korea with the dust storm blowing from Gobi Desert.
For Southern China, the problem is not serious.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
It is quite serious, but may not be as bad as you think. Basically all big cities in China are polluted to some extent and you can notice that especially in winters. However, it is just fair to point out it also has something to do with the climate of China, in addition to industrial development.

Pollution in some other countries such as Iran and India is much worse than in China, but you don't see the news.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
A few years ago, I took a train from Hong Kong into Shenzen via the East Rail Line. The pollution and eroded quality of life was very evident the moment you crossed the border into China. It was like night and day, literally.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:39 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
They always say it get worse, when something already is bad. While pollution is still bad in China, it has improved since the 2000s.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 15,612 times
Southern China ie Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou is much better than say Shanghai. Up north in Beijing and dongbei area is the worse. The above poster is correct, southern China air quality is much better then it was say even 5 years ago.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 AM

27 posts, read 73,901 times
I was in Guangzhou a few days ago and the sky was solid yellow. You could literally look at the sun without sunglasses for as long as you want and not feel a thing because the smog was so thick.

There is no way it's not harmful.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfromutah View Post
I was in Guangzhou a few days ago and the sky was solid yellow. You could literally look at the sun without sunglasses for as long as you want and not feel a thing because the smog was so thick.

There is no way it's not harmful.
Yes, I have been to Guangzhou several times, my wife is from there and has family who live there. It is BAD much of the time- on sunny days the sky can glow a dark orange as the sun tries to pierce the pollution, you can smell it in the air. It is definitely harmful, it's why there are so many people with respiratory issues there.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
When I was there, it was so polluted that it almost felt like I was smoking a cigarette every time I took a breath...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia