Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 29,700 times

Advertisements

East Asian and East Asian influenced countries

Also, Koreans use metal chopsticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,889 times
See the differences in picture below? North Korea and South Korea use the same chopsticks.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I wonder if the asians in the areas inside Russia use chopsticks? the ethnic minorities in Russia
No. In fact, on a couple of occasions, a few individuals have asked me how to use them.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:48 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,844 times
People in Nepal will hardly use chopsticks. Maybe some Tibetan migrants from China but overall either Nepalese will use their hands while eating Dal-Bhaat (Pulses with Rice) or spoon/fork. In South Asia, chopsticks are a decorative element only to make an impression that it is Chinese food but they will use Spoon/Fork to eat. An American is more likely to eat properly with chopsticks then any Nepalese.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 PM

142 posts, read 97,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
In Thailand, chopsticks can be found, and are often used, depending on the dish. But I find the fork/spoon combo (where they don't actually eat with the fork, but use it to push food on to the spoon), the most common
LOL! YAS! That's how we roll in the Philippines it's actually funny when my American husband eat with us during holidays he's the only 1 eating using fork. All of us use spoon.

In fact I remember all of us always asking for spoon in restaurants here in US. Me, not anymore. I got used to the American way of fork and knife. Ugh.

Coz my husband when we eat at home just give me fork and knife, I used to replace the knife with spoon but not anymore.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 PM

24 posts, read 29,064 times
According to this link: http://www.studymongolian.net/backgr...olian-culture/ Mongolians use chopsticks too because many did not or failed to mention this here.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I had a discussion with someone about whether Thais use chopsticks or not. I said yes but they said no. This leads me to ask which countries in Asia that regularly use chopsticks.
Confucian Asia: China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore (parts), Hong Kong, Malaysia (parts), Vietnam,

Less so: Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia (each has Chinese subcultures/influence)
No: Malayan cultures

Old 08-13-2018, 05:06 AM

24 posts, read 29,064 times
^^ Correction to my previous post just mentioned. Mongolia at least did at one point in history but less so now except when eating Chinese influenced and/or noodle dishes (http://www.studymongolian.net/backgr...olian-culture/).

Old 08-13-2018, 12:35 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Why do all of you so-called wannabee food experts, keep referring to the south-east Asians eating with their "hands"?

We do not use our hands but use our fingers.
As a matter of fact, we have great fun when we see westerners try to eat with their fingers, it is a joke and a half when they try it!

Altho, we are civilised enough NOT to laugh right in front of you but kind of snicker when the meal is over!

I was raised in the Orient but now live in the USA after many years in Europe for my education.
I eat western food with a fork and a knife (except for soups), and I NEVER switch the use of the fork or knife.
I also put the food on the back of the fork and not on the front!
When I eat some Oriental food, I use a fork and a spoon and rarely a knife because the food is usually cut in bite-size pieces.
When I am served typical Chinese food, I do use chopsticks in my right hand and often a small spoon with a long handle in my left.
Again because of the small pieces of food, no knife needed.

Last edited by irman; 08-13-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM

631 posts, read 562,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
See the differences in picture below? North Korea and South Korea use the same chopsticks.
They need to reunify the two Koreas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia