Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 10:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I don't see any Portuguese traces in any of these pictures or videos.
yes ,my writing above there is indeed no Portuguese influence or traces in this video or pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 PM

630 posts, read 530,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
yes ,my writing above there is indeed no Portuguese influence or traces in this video or pictures
Honestly, I didn't notice any more nor less Portuguese influence than in those other videos supposed to have them.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,945,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Honestly, I didn't notice any more nor less Portuguese influence than in those other videos supposed to have them.
A few traces in Malacca they are the descendants of a few Portuguese soldiers and fishermen from the 1500's who married non Portuguese women converted to Catholicism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3dbCY6hXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxxirDLzqZM

Old 03-10-2020, 10:08 AM

546 posts, read 573,839 times
Chavacano is understandable to Mexican Spanish speakers.

https://youtu.be/1fNSxGwJgCg

Last edited by Selurong; 03-10-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
A few traces in Malacca they are the descendants of a few Portuguese soldiers and fishermen from the 1500's who married non Portuguese women converted to Catholicism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3dbCY6hXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxxirDLzqZM
What I find weird is that there are still alot of Chavacano speaking Filipinos who look like Mexicans like the second dude in my video in the post above, whereas the Kristang speaking Malaysians don't look Portuguese anymore.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 AM

It seems like my old Photobucket account overreached its storage space. So I'm reposting this via Imgur.

These are the numbers of primarily Mexican and some Peruvian soldiers (Only the officer class was Spanish) sent to the Philippines per year, the number fluctuates since once they finish their official term of duty they are dismissed and then join the civilian population or escape (since most of those Latinos sent to the Philippines were political prisoners or forced laborers).

Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Spanish officials kept complaining that Mestizos, Mullatoes and Native Americans from Mexico were constantly being sent instead of pure Spaniards. The Mexicans were potentialy rebellious...

Letter from Fajardo to Felipe III From Manila, August 15 1620.(From the Spanish Archives of the Indies)

("The infantry does not amount to two hundred men, in three companies. If these men were that number, and Spaniards, it would not be so bad; but, although I have not seen them, because they have not yet arrived here, I am told that they are, as at other times, for the most part boys, mestizos, and mulattoes, with some Indians (Native Americans). There is no little cause for regret in the great sums that reënforcements of such men waste for, and cost, your Majesty. I cannot see what betterment there will be until your Majesty shall provide it, since I do not think, that more can be done in Nueva Spaña, although the viceroy must be endeavoring to do so, as he is ordered.")

The Philippine Islands, 1493–1898: explorations by early navigators, descriptions of the islands and their peoples, their history and records of the catholic missions, as related in contemporaneous books and manuscripts, showing the political,

Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Spanish fears came to fruition when the bulwark of the Novales Mutiny, a precursor of the Cavite Mutiny and then the Philippine Revolution was lead by Latin Americans...

Garcia de los Arcos has noted that the Regiment of the King, which had absorbed a large percentage of Mexican recruits and deportees between the 1770s and 1811, became the bastion of discontent supporting the Novales mutiny. ~Garcia de los Arcos, “Criollismo y conflictividad en Filipinas a principios del siglo XIX,” in El lejano Oriente espanol: Filipinas ( ˜ Siglo XIX). Actas, ed. Paulino Castaneda ˜ Delgado and Antonio Garcia-Abasolo Gonzalez (Seville: Catedra General Casta ´ nos, ˜ 1997), 586.

Officers in the army of the Philippines were almost totally composed of Americans,” observed the Spanish historian José Montero y Vidal. “They received in great disgust the arrival of peninsular officers as reinforcements, partly because they supposed they would be shoved aside in the promotions and partly because of racial antagonisms.

Some months previously, in February 1823, a dozen of the leading suspects among the creoles who called themselves ‘hijos del pais” were deported to Spain. Among them were Domingo Roxas, leading businessman and ancestor of the present-day opulent Ayala, Zobel, Roxas and Soriano families, José Ortega, general manager of the Royal Company, the barrister José Maria Jugo, Captain Jose Bayot and his two brothers, Luis Rodriguez Varela, former mayor of Tondo and self-styled count of the Philippines, Regino Mijares, sergeant-major of the king’s regiment, and a dozen other suspects. Ordered to leave for Misamis Province, Novales instead convinced the brother officers and non-commissioned officers of the king’s regiment to join him in a coup d’etat in June of that year. These “americanos,”, composed mostly of Mexicans with a sprinkling of creoles and mestizos from Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Costa Rica and other former colonies of Spain in South America, supported Novales. With about 800 native soldiers they seized early in the morning the royal palace, the city’s cabildo and important government buildings in Intramuros, killed the lieutenant governor, Mariano Fernández de Folgueras, but failed to seize Fort Santiago because his brother who commanded the citadel at the last minute refused to open its gates.

The loyalist troops, led by Spanish peninsulars, mustered a counterattack, and the timely arrival of a battalion of native soldiers from Pampanga Province spelled the end of the rebellion. Novales was arrested trying to escape from Intramuros, and his followers either caught or killed. A drumhead court martial was immediately convened, and by late afternoon of that same day Novales and his principal followers were executed by a firing squad.

history between mexicans and filipinos during spanish colonial times | A Filipino Like A Local In Mexico

Old 03-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
my friend and i are correct (even without reading your research) then with our observation that mexicans were the ones who came to the Philippines (mostly correct)
Mexicans and Peruvians were only the majority of Hispanic arrivals from 1565–1821 when the Philippines was under the Mexico based Viceroyalty of New Spain, after which the Latin American wars of independence came about and ended that, from 1821-1899 the Philippines were directly governed by Spain, until the First Philippine Republic was declared.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:51 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,945,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
What I find weird is that there are still alot of Chavacano speaking Filipinos who look like Mexicans like the second dude in my video in the post above, whereas the Kristang speaking Malaysians don't look Portuguese anymore.
The Kristang have origins in Portuguese controlled Malacca 1511-1641 the Dutch then wrested control of Malacca from the Portuguese and then split up that mixed raced community sending them to different parts of Malaysia and Indonesia. They were trying to destroy the culture. A small number managed to regroup and come back together they are the ancestors of these people. Theses people are very mixed they even absorbed some colonial Dutch into their community the Portuguese ancestry is a minor component. They would never be considered Portuguese by real Portuguese people but descendants of Portuguese people with some remnants of Portuguese culture surviving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia