Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting article discussing the paradox of Taiwan- being a developed country, but yet looking ugly and shabby. Here is one of my favorite quotes of the article "IMF ranks Taiwan as one of the most advanced economies in Asia, with high purchasing power parity and a poverty rate impressively low at 1.5% as of 2012. Yet, for a pretty rich girl, Taiwan sure doesn’t dress like it."

Formosa the Ugly? - Ketagalan Media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 PM

162 posts, read 270,393 times
I heard that illegal merchandise like pirated goods are also sold there. Is that not true? The selling of pirated goods on the streets is a classic sign of 3rd worldish features in a country.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
^Not that much any more.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:18 AM

280 posts, read 339,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
I heard that illegal merchandise like pirated goods are also sold there. Is that not true? The selling of pirated goods on the streets is a classic sign of 3rd worldish features in a country.
Probably not so much these days as we are phasing out hard medium such as CDs/DVDs etc. and moving to downloads.

Even in Vietnam, these shops drastically reduced in number since its peak in the early 2000s.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,945 times
Define "developed country". What measurement are you trying to use? You do know that there is no exact definition of developed country right?

To be honest Taiwan is consider as a developed country. High income, good infrastructure and transportation, high life expectancy, high HDI, highly industrialise, good education quality..... the list will go on.

You have listed few thing that makes Taiwan "not so developed".

1. Building construction
2. Green space
3. Law enforcement
4. Quality of life
5. Stranger-to-stranger relations

1. Building construction

Does it really matter that much? I mean yes Taiwan's city are basically looks old and the building are kinda ugly. Most of them are due to illegal construction especially on rooftop. But that doesn't mean the building is in bad condition / unsafe as it meet the earthquake safety requirement and also typhoon i guess. The looks of the building does not mean Taiwan is developing. Also i think this have to do with law enforcement. Just because you looks ugly doesn't mean you are not developed. Same goes to just because your house looks nice doesn't mean you are rich. I think it really depends on the people who are living there.

4. Quality of life
Taiwan have one of the best national healthcare system. Their medical quality is one of the best. Life expectancy are high and with high purchasing power. Don't think their quality of life are low.

5. Stranger to stranger relations
Lol I literally laugh at this point. You could have met a friendly people and not so friendly people in each country. It just depends on your luck.

IMO Taiwan is already a developed country. Their education, infrastructure and income are on par with developed country. Don't think they will downgrade to developing country anytime soon.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 AM

11 posts, read 9,880 times
Taiwan is not a developed country or ranks very low among developed countries, if you compared Taiwan carefully with other major developed countries in the world or Asia.

Even in the opinion of some people of developing countries in Asia, Taiwan is not really regarded highly.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:01 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichibbb View Post
Taiwan is not a developed country or ranks very low among developed countries, if you compared Taiwan carefully with other major developed countries in the world or Asia.

Even in the opinion of some people of developing countries in Asia, Taiwan is not really regarded highly.
??? Source? What type of "development" ranking is that based on? Low ranking in terms of what? What are they really comparing? Please elaborate.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 AM

53 posts, read 51,550 times
Probaby high in education attainment and life expectancy or standard of medical care.

But not high in income or economic development by comparsion to some other places, especially Japan.

South Korea, HK, Macau, Brunei, Singapore and Israel are very close to Japan nowadays in everything including income and economic development.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,317 times
I mean, they used be fairly developed back in 95. The problem they faced was "deflation".
Since late 90s, their inflation level had been always below world average not pulling in enough aggregate demand. That being said, their wage level is pretty below other developed economies while PPP had been increasing pretty much due to cheap price.

I heard that their average wage level is only around $1400 per month (in nominal), much less than South Korea ($3000 aprox. month in nominal), Japan ($2800 aprox. month in nominal) and Singapore ($3400 aprox. month in nominal). That is why their citizens look still poorer despite of high GDP per capita at PPP.

Remember, GDP per capita is "different" from wage level and it does reflect "true" standard of living for citizens.

[url]https://www.moel.go.kr/english/pas/pasMajor.jsp[/url]

[url]http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/database/db-l/dl/24gaikyo_zenkoku_Eng.pdf[/url]

[url]http://statdb.mol.gov.tw/html/nat/table5.1.pdf[/url]

[url]http://statdb.mol.gov.tw/html/nat/natehidx05.htm[/url]

Old 01-12-2017, 03:29 PM

280 posts, read 339,378 times
The main problem with Taiwan is that the people are too laid back when you compare it to more developed economies in Asia i.e. Japan, HK, Singapore, South Korea.

Having said all that it is really difficult to assess and compare Taiwan (size, population, international status) to any other country in Asia, let alone the world. HK and Singapore are not fair comparisons, much smaller cities. Japan and South Korea are at least double Taiwan.

Taiwan started to develop in the 50s, probably the third in Asia that began industrialisation - after Japan and Hong Kong. Even South Korea didn't really take off yet in the 50s! It was pretty much on par with Korea pre 2000....both made internal parts of products without much brand name presence or did a lot of contract manufacturing. The Asian Financial Crisis almost killed off South Korea but it was the catalyst for them develop internationally.

A lot of people in Taiwan compare themselves to South Korea but I think that is unfair and South Korea these days is closer economically and technologically to Japan than Taiwan. A lot of the tours I went on in Taiwan kept re-iterating that historically, the government never saw Taiwan as a long term solution, that is, one day they will retake the mainland. As that hope gradually dwindled over the decades, it probably partially explains why Taiwan looks shabby...but that is no excuse for it not to clean up once it was developed.

I guess Taiwan needs "simple gloss", if I was running the place, I'd put these procedures in place:

1. For Starters they can at the very least do something like a Kyoto......clean up the same streets, clean up the illegal buildings and start some basic urban planning.

2. Introduce Kei cars, assemble them or build them, remove those damn scooters, they cause too much traffic chaos and pollution and really gives it that undeveloped look and feel.

3. Introduce more "green" into society, introduce stuff like better bike lanes.

The Taipei mayor has already said he is looking towards Amsterdam and Osaka as models. I think done right, Taiwan can be clean, quaint and developed, much like that of Northern and Central Europe...I much prefer that than those glitzy skylines of Tokyo or Shanghai! Like it needs a "soul".....Currently I like how it somewhat presents a more Confucian Chinese society than what China does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia