Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 12:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Although there has been some contention that the birth rate has already dropped over the last couple years, in recent days, the CCP has officially announced that China has entered population decline.

Demographers in China and abroad believe that there is no way that they will be able to realistically turn it around in any meaningful degree of time, meaning that for at least the next generation cycle and most likely longer, the population will continue to decline. This has many ramifications for China's plans for its geopolitical status in the 21st century.

Guardian article:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...-have-children

Vox article:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...ing-xi-jinping

Somewhat more optimistic Global Times article for those who reject Western media:
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202301/1283940.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 07:55 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Somewhere in the basement the China shills are seething.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Somewhere in the basement the China shills are seething.
I don't wanna be that "I been sayin' it fer years" guy, but...

Just a couple months ago I remember a few posters here insisting it was made up Western propaganda, offering theories as to how and why it would bounce back up in short form, etc.

Now the government itself is saying it's happening, and Chinese academics are saying there's probably no way it will correct in our lifetime. It's being spun as the result of a victory for China, with people's QOL increasing and the correlating drop in births, which has been documented all over the world. But, digging into the topic - the data about imbalances in gender and income, the one child policy, the widespread and totally verifiable stories of forced abortions, adoptions, and infanticide, the utter malaise that has been affecting young people - shows that this is a different animal altogether.

I feel kind of bad for my nieces and especially nephews back there. They're going to be aging up into a situation that's going to be very different from what my wife and her brother got.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:32 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I feel kind of bad for my nieces and especially nephews back there. They're going to be aging up into a situation that's going to be very different from what my wife and her brother got.
Every country on earth has its up and down periods. Some generations get a good deal from the timing and others will get a raw deal.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:06 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Notice here that many Chinese Australians have only one child. Entirely by choice. They are normally highly educated and I think there is a strong correlation between the education level of women and a low birth rate. Everywhere.

Old 01-21-2023, 05:08 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Not sure why a decline in a population of 1.4 billion (most living in an area the size of the eastern third of the US) is bad news for anyone. But I suppose the modern news narrative is to portray every event in the world as a major problem.

Old 01-21-2023, 09:18 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
There are so many people in China that I don't think a decline in the short term is a real worry for anyone.

With that said, India needs a population decline more than China.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:17 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There are so many people in China that I don't think a decline in the short term is a real worry for anyone.

With that said, India needs a population decline more than China.
And Bangladesh needs a population decline more than India.

Geopolitically, by the end of the 21st century it's projected that the population of China will be double that of the USA, compared to being four to five times as large now.

The crazy thing is that Nigeria is projected to have a larger population than China. That's madness.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Not sure why a decline in a population of 1.4 billion (most living in an area the size of the eastern third of the US) is bad news for anyone. But I suppose the modern news narrative is to portray every event in the world as a major problem.
First off, we are not talking about a small decline, we are talking about a 50% reduction over the next 50 years.

In isolation this might be manageable, but it is not at all compatible with China's growth model which is based on massive amount of construction and income from land sales.

It is also not compatible with nationalists dream of becoming the world's strongest country.

Old 01-22-2023, 05:51 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Not sure why a decline in a population .... is bad news for anyone..
Short answer-- the impact on the economy, which impacts the standard of living/general well-being of the populace....A growing poulation means more demand, thus need for more productivity, so more jobs etc etc...Conversely, falling pop means fewer jobs, more competion, etc etc.....

Popuations left to themselves without interference grow along the sigmoid-shaped logistic curve, reaching a steady point (birth rate = death rate) at the "carrying capacity." That number is determined by availability of the resources that allow the population to grow-- food, water, space etc etc...Living at the bottom, left hand side of the curve there is minimum competiton for resources (The Garden of Eden). Living at the carrying capacity (upper right) is maximum competition for resources (The Jungle.)

As 415 (if I may be familiar and call you by your first name) is correct to point out about one over-looked danger of China's forced popuation control effects--Selective abortion has given them a huge imbalance in the M:F ratio...They now have a large population of breeding age males looking for mates and bound to be disappointed--> A land war sacrificing large numbers of young males would be a great advantage to a ruling class terrified of losing power to an unhappy dating scene mob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia