Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times

Advertisements

I think the Digital Nomads have flocked to Vietnam, primarily because they ran out of visa options in Thailand, and/or got called out for living here on a Tourist Visa Getting a visa to study Thai turned into visa mill schools opening and a lot of corruption. People were showing up to renew their visas and couldn't speak a word of Thai...after months of allegedly studying. I think VN is ok, but maybe over-promoted by those non-grata in Thailand...same with Cambodia. I wonder what happened in Bali..there was a lot of talk about it for a while...USD is very strong there....maybe the tourists ruined it, maybe really strict booze laws...not sure. Heard people swear by it, but that was years ago.

Start putting the countries in order of visa difficulty..the picture becomes more clear, why people are where they are...especially for those under 50..which is the magic number in Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Funny! About the 'Root Beer' for A&W!
It is listed as "RB" on the menu. Last week, they flogged a lesbian couple, who had been caught making out in a car. SIx strokes each, causing an outrage as many called for forty.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I think the Digital Nomads have flocked to Vietnam, primarily because they ran out of visa options in Thailand, and/or got called out for living here on a Tourist Visa Getting a visa to study Thai turned into visa mill schools opening and a lot of corruption. People were showing up to renew their visas and couldn't speak a word of Thai...after months of allegedly studying. I think VN is ok, but maybe over-promoted by those non-grata in Thailand...same with Cambodia. I wonder what happened in Bali..there was a lot of talk about it for a while...USD is very strong there....maybe the tourists ruined it, maybe really strict booze laws...not sure. Heard people swear by it, but that was years ago.

Start putting the countries in order of visa difficulty..the picture becomes more clear, why people are where they are...especially for those under 50..which is the magic number in Thailand.
That makes sense - i.e. regarding the Digital Nomads. I've also been noticing Colombia as another popular choice for them. Regarding Vietnam, after re-visiting this Summer, I can definitely understand why people like it. There is a buzz about it, the food is fantastic, and the architecture/housing is pretty cool and affordable.

That being said, I like the laid-back nature of Thais. Vietnamese are a bit 'high energy' at times, comparatively.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
It is listed as "RB" on the menu. Last week, they flogged a lesbian couple, who had been caught making out in a car. SIx strokes each, causing an outrage as many called for forty.
I saw that news story as well - currently happening. https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/l...a1952b5282d46f

Malaysia is a super comfortable country, with laidback people and a lot of English. But that conservative streak among the Islamic subset is a bit of a worrying trend. Back in 2015, four foreigners climbed a mountain and took a picture nude....and when the public heard about it, there was a huge uproar, a search for them, a few days in jail, a sizeable fine, and deportation. There isn't much toleration for certain things, in short.

Malaysia is a great country though, and among the Digital Nomad crowd, and the older Retirees, it is way up there with Thailand.

For me, the edge goes to Thailand. I love seeing Buddhist Temples among other things in Thailand.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I wonder what happened in Bali..there was a lot of talk about it for a while...USD is very strong there....maybe the tourists ruined it, maybe really strict booze laws...not sure. Heard people swear by it, but that was years ago.
From everything I've read and experienced, BALI basically has a serious lack of infrastructure. Gnarly traffic jams, and the last time I was there, it took hours to travel relatively short distances.

It offers an uninteresting nightlife that is predominately filled with 18-year-old Australians kids getting drunk off their arse for seemingly the first times in their lives. Quite common to see meathead types with their shirts off, stumbling around in a very small very confined nightlife area of Kuta with predominately other Australians. The Indonesian women you see will be fully-garbed and taking pictures with their family....and just a small few as freelancers late in night in just a few bars.

Apparently there are some very low-key bars in other areas, but when I've explored them, they look very tourist-oriented of the 'sit, eat, drink something' and walk back to the hotel with your group, feel.

It's not like Thailand nightlife where you readily meet Thais, or CHina where you meet CHinese. Nightlife in Bali seems to be for tourists meeting other tourists.

That being said, there are a number of expats who've made Bali home. The population numbers to Bali is quite a bit smaller than a nation like Thailand as well. The main city of Denpasar is really lacking A LOT....and doesn't even hit 1 million.

That being said, and I change what I'm interested in quite often - I'm mostly interested in Thailand, Cambodia, and Bali these days...when I think of future investment/retirement/etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM

The Chinese are buying up Cambodia, and thus ruining it. And yes, the young Australian s and Brits are very clicky, had drinking, fight starters, and the guys are worse...kind of like the way the college kids ruined Cancun and Florida on Spring Break....proximity has a lot to do with it, obviously.

Agree about Nam...in Thailand if you are doing something wrong, but not criminal..the cops tend to be pretty passive..same with rent-a-cops....they are most concerned with stepping on the wrong toes...say drinking some place you shouldn't of a little jaywalking. But, in Vietnam, there is no such thing as a friendly look by a cop...everything gets a complete dressing down. The Viet Girls are so hot, though, lol, but it is a gold diggers world, even more than BK K which is no small feat. The Malaysians may be the cream of the crop as far as the neighbors..

Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
I appreciate you sharing part of your "life" with us HR. I've been thinking a lot about Thailand since my visit last summer, it's in pole position as a place to retire overseas for me.

Question: If your building allowed dogs, do you see your neighborhood as a comfortable enough place to own a dog given the necessity of 2 daily walks? I know it's pretty straightforward bringing a dog into Thailand, but once there I'd be concerned about his quality of life (heck, a monitor lizard could grab him!).

And how about 420 availability?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 AM

most condos do not allow dogs, but there is an occasional squeaker. Street dogs are a problem, and a good reason to live on a main road, where there are none...not pitbulls, but dogs pack. Not good for walking, but great conveniences. Good paths and dogparks? wrong country. I have smelled 420, but it is very covert. You could find yourself in a position to get extorted (kind of like parts of the US). And sellers might be working for 5-0. Fines would be 150 USD and up, but the fine in court would only be 60, but you still run a risk of jail and if deportation. Lawyer might be 2000 usd....but others have faced the judge alone, apologized, paid 60, and we re fine. Like the US, you are much safer at home, and never underestimate how much joints stink, even compared to a pipe. Reasonably cheap and legal to get some teacher's helper (valium). My biggest conundrum is the four Good lookers selling food across the street, at least two are sisters, but they all look related. I had the pork, ginger, onions tonight and that was 90 cents. but they are quietly very flirty, typical, and nice as can be, and want to know if I am single...but I just have to be cautious as I have to walk by every time I leave my building, and there are very few foreigners around here. I think they know what time I am coming by, before I do. Being single can end abruptly, here.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
most condos do not allow dogs, but there is an occasional squeaker. Street dogs are a problem, and a good reason to live on a main road, where there are none...not pitbulls, but dogs pack. Not good for walking, but great conveniences. Good paths and dogparks? wrong country. I have smelled 420, but it is very covert. You could find yourself in a position to get extorted (kind of like parts of the US). And sellers might be working for 5-0. Fines would be 150 USD and up, but the fine in court would only be 60, but you still run a risk of jail and if deportation. Lawyer might be 2000 usd....but others have faced the judge alone, apologized, paid 60, and we re fine. Like the US, you are much safer at home, and never underestimate how much joints stink, even compared to a pipe. Reasonably cheap and legal to get some teacher's helper (valium). My biggest conundrum is the four Good lookers selling food across the street, at least two are sisters, but they all look related. I had the pork, ginger, onions tonight and that was 90 cents. but they are quietly very flirty, typical, and nice as can be, and want to know if I am single...but I just have to be cautious as I have to walk by every time I leave my building, and there are very few foreigners around here. I think they know what time I am coming by, before I do. Being single can end abruptly, here.
LOL, I'm trying to stay single in the U.S. or my Thailand, Asia, Europe dreams of long-term travel or retirement will never happen. Why do that when I can work till I'm 70, help put another guy's kids thru college, and get bossed around by an aging entitled female? But once in Thailand (or wherever), I would be open to meeting someone. Wouldn't want to be a human ATM though.

About what I expected on dogs, can't turn my back on him but he's become a hindrance to my plans, possibly pushing them too far into the future. I stayed off Sukhumvit Road which was great but I thought maybe a place on the outskirts of BKK would be better for a dog owner.

Roger on the 420, my guess is down Phuket way it might be more prevalent. That's one of the few things I don't like about Thailand in theory, despite all the debauchery and openness to big business, it seems inappropriate to be tough on drugs. From what I've read, the Gov't/police use it as a weapon against the poor, not unlike the Philippines (or the US for that matter).

Bet you are lighter, fitter and healthier than you would be in the States, no?

Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 AM

I am in a better position to get medical care if needed, and have top coverage for accidents. Health insurance is problematic for those over 70, and most would be better covered by Medicare....a voucher program would be super for expats, and those with Tri-care have already been using it here. Certain foods are very expensive here, especially compared to Az...cheese, buts, berries....but pineapple is a berry and dirt cheap. You have to adjust, and watch the sugar...but this is the best place for me now...My medical, dental situation is better here..dental by a longshot and knowing a can see a physician for less than a haircut in the US is certainly peace of mind..and some basic skin creams, etc, can be bought at the pharmacy real cheap, without a script. Millions of eligible women out there, and that is a good thing, and not the case with my counterparts in the States making hefty salaries. It's not the Fountain of Youth, but you can take care of yourself, for sure. The roads are very dangerous here, but that is offset by me not driving (and no motorbikes), and the chances of getting mugged/robbed/or shot are miniscule compared to big US cities...I feel safe on the bus...20 cents...

I have been here about five years, non-stop, and spent a lot of time here since 2006, so I am not wearing the rose colored glasses, and just try to keep a realistic attitude. There are hundreds of youtube videos attempting to expose scams in Thailand, but most are fairly obvious anyway. I like the city better than the resorts for long term living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia