Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times

Advertisements

Thailand, it's very hard to beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 PM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Who in the right mind would like the Midwest?

Southeast Asia is more culturally and ethnically diverse than the Midwest.

Politically, I hate the communism so I am less interested in Vietnam. Singapore isn't free world either.

Thailand is by far my favorite for several reasons:
1. I prefer Buddhism culture, even though I'm an atheist.
2. Thailand seems to be safer than most other SE Asian countries.
3. Thailand seems to be more tolerant. They are doing much better when it comes to human rights. Indonesia is known for the massacre of ethnic Chinese.
4. Food is awesome.

Economically, Singapore is the only developed country on the list. For academic/business opportunities, it's definitely the best of all. But as a tourist, I have no interest.
Brunei technically is a developed country too if we use the tangible economic measurements. Although that may not be the technological advancement modernity thing kind of devt like Singapore.

Thailand isnt safer than any Sourheast Asian countries if we put into account the general situation of the country especially the southern part. Although that might be different on the touristy areas. Being run by a junta govt doesnt help either.

Tolerance culture seems to be superficial too in there so as to wash you out of all your golds. Deep inside they are discriminating and also has unliberal dispositions. Indonesia despite being Muslim majority seems to be more liberal and tolerant except areas where religion is embedded to their culture like Aceh.

To put it in a nutshell, you might be saying it is your favorite because of the places or provinces or regions you have probably visited in such countries, but not necessarily the reflection of whole nations status.

Thorough and more rigid visits on each countries in Southeast Asia may present you more and influence better your perspective. For example, Vietnams communism looks like it isnt actually there so why not pay a visit rather than stick to the belief that it is what makes it less interesting.

My take is that, in Southeast Asia favorite places may initially come in as a specific region or province rather than as a whole country. For example, Bali or Palawan or perhaps Chiang Mai. Getting the best country as a favorite may come when eventually youve travelled a lot of these regions and places and figured out all the factors that you favors much in.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:17 PM

90 posts, read 111,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
What is your favorite Southeast Asian country, and why? And what is your least favorite Southeast Asian country, and why?

As a Southeast Asian, I'd like to see your opinion on this topic. Any one of you on this board who has been to any of the 11 countries in Southeast Asia (Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) is welcome to chime in on this question! If you have been to multiple countries in the region, that's even better for this discussion thread. Thanks...
Your Most Favorite Southeast Asian Country?

Bali ( Indonesia ) and Bangkok,Pattaya ( Thailand ) always favorite
Bali is Melting Pot has always been a tourist destination in East Asia especially Korea, China and Western countries whatever you love all there is in Bali^-^ one of the shortcomings of Bali is that there are many free living habits like Bangkok or Pattaya ^-^

Old 09-29-2018, 01:42 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times
Personally I would rank them as follows:
1. Thailand
2. Singapore
3. Malaysia
4. Philippines
5. Vietnam
6. Indonesia
7. Cambodia
8. Myanmar
9. Laos
10. Brunei
11. East Timor

Singapore sticks out as having world-class infrastructure and very corrupt-free compared to the rest in the region. But then, it is small and way too expensive. This is the primary reason I rank Thailand first rather than Singapore because it costs much less for what it has to offer. Yes, one gets to deal with varying degrees of corruption, political instabilities, poverty, natural catastrophes, etc. But if one cannot accept or overlook some of those, then one only has Singapore left. I would rather choose Hong Kong or Taiwan over Singapore though.

I've been to the top 5 countries in my ranking multiple times. I haven't been to those ranked 6th to 10th, although I have seen photos and heard travel experiences from many people. Maybe I will change my rankings once I get to visit these places. I don't know anyone who has been to East Timor and there's like no reason for anyone to go there. Maybe there were people who went there as part of the peacekeeping forces?

For me, the reason it is ranked this way is a preference for higher development (HDI). Singapore is ranked lower because it feels like a city rather than a country, and it is overpriced in comparison. Malaysia and Indonesia also moved lower due to being Muslim majority countries, and having parts that are using Sharia Law. Brunei goes to the bottom because it's tiny and is an absolute monarchy. The people I knew who visited there had nowhere to go, and just take photos outside the mosques and sultan's palace. Same as when I visited Johor Bahru long time ago, tourists get to see the mosque and palace from outside their walls. When we go to other countries, just be respectful and dress appropriately, one at least gets to experience temples and churches from the inside.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
Your Most Favorite Southeast Asian Country?

Bali ( Indonesia ) and Bangkok,Pattaya ( Thailand ) always favorite
Bali is Melting Pot has always been a tourist destination in East Asia especially Korea, China and Western countries whatever you love all there is in Bali^-^ one of the shortcomings of Bali is that there are many free living habits like Bangkok or Pattaya ^-^
this me favorite .. For me (my personal experience, except the philipines I've never visited)
1 Singapore
2. Thailand
3. Indonesia
4. Malaysia
5. Philipines
6. Vietnam
yeah it's the best/favorite tourist destination in southeast asia, but there are still malaysia, singapore and i think philipines and vietnam are also favorites. but my experience in Vietnam is far from what I think is different from in Indonesia, which I experienced in several places in Vietnam such as lack of facilities, poor, dirty, toilet uhhh , if in Indonesia like Jakarta or Bali we need everything always fulfilled which is important you have money but i love vietnam because cost of living is cheap .
Of course Bali has always been a tourist destination for people from China, Korea, Japan and many western countries "UK.USA,France etc" . then in Bromo,Borobudur Java or Komodo Flores many westerner touris visit. nahh in Jakarta are less visitors but the latest are many Japanese, Singapore tourists etc.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:20 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Brunei is where I felt at ease. The Burmese are wonderful.

Thailand I always feel edgy and on guard.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 AM

58 posts, read 59,584 times
Least favorite is the Philippines for sure. Reasons being -

Intrusive stares

Fakes smiles from the people. Not genuine. Fake friendly.

Rampant jealousy and crab culture

Dismal culture

Uninspiring food. It's awful unless you cook for yourself or eat out at
Korean/Japanese/Thai places

Backbiting

Gaslighting

Immature people

No sense of privacy

Overall lack of respect

Filipinos based on their actions do not want expats living in their country or Westerners. These are things you might not sense as a tourist because the people know how to put on an act and play host very well.

Last edited by Max Planck; 10-25-2018 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: not exhaustive enough

Old 10-25-2018, 08:04 AM

546 posts, read 569,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Planck View Post
Least favorite is the Philippines for sure. Reasons being -

Intrusive stares

Fakes smiles from the people. Not genuine. Fake friendly.

Rampant jealousy and crab culture

Dismal culture

Uninspiring food. It's awful unless you cook for yourself or eat out at
Korean/Japanese/Thai places

Backbiting

Gaslighting

Immature people

No sense of privacy

Overall lack of respect

Filipinos based on their actions do not want expats living in their country or Westerners. These are things you might not sense as a tourist because the people know how to put on an act and play host very well.
You have negative opinion of Filipinos because you attract the same people who hold your views. BTW Weren't it Westerners who colonized Filipinos, stole from Filipinos, raped Filipinos and destroyed Filipinos under 450 years of colonization? If you were bitching that Filipinos have no culture, then your people shouldn't have destroyed and obliterated the native culture in the first place.

You're just sick of Filipinos because we know how to speak your language and know all about your dirty, greedy imperialist ass. Go be a sexpat elsewhere, like in Thailand, Westerners have raped Filipinos enough already. Go rape someone else for a change.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 AM

546 posts, read 569,350 times
@Max Planck

This is what the Chinese thought of Filipinos before the Westerners arrived...

The Daoyi Zhilüe says:

"After agreeing on prices, the barbarian traders carry off the goods for bartering the native products and bring these products back to the Chinese in the amount agreed on. The Chinese vessels' traders (Filipinos) are trustworthy. They never fail to keep the agreement of their bargains."

Now, after 450 years of rape, rapine, theft, greed and corruption from Spanish colonizers and American imperialists, who did nothing but to rape our people, steal our gold, destroy our native kingdoms, corrupt our morals and subjugate and enslave us, murder all our youths and heroes in the Philippine-American War, crush our Republic and frustrate our ideals, now you b!t(h that Filipinos are doing to you, personally, what your kind did to us for half a millennium?

Yet you have the GALL to look down upon the people your kind have scarred and wronged for centuries and then think your genocidal war-mongering ass is some sort of saint...

Go die in a hole stupid white pig cracker, there's a special place in hell for your disgusting and soulless kind.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
You have negative opinion of Filipinos because you attract the same people who hold your views. BTW Weren't it Westerners who colonized Filipinos, stole from Filipinos, raped Filipinos and destroyed Filipinos under 450 years of colonization? If you were bitching that Filipinos have no culture, then your people shouldn't have destroyed and obliterated the native culture in the first place.

You're just sick of Filipinos because we know how to speak your language and know all about your dirty, greedy imperialist ass. Go be a sexpat elsewhere, like in Thailand, Westerners have raped Filipinos enough already. Go rape someone else for a change.
Harsh reply. But I wouldn't visit the Philippines as long as they have an evil dictator who basically kills the poor and can't begin to provide gainful employment for it's people.

Least favorite: Philippines

Favorite: Thailand, best of all worlds with respect for nature via Buddhism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia