Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:01 PM

839 posts, read 734,397 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about the Kadoorie family who have lived in Shanghai, then Hong Kong for generations since the early 19th century (although they started in Mumbai in the 18th century). As of today, they still maintain a foothold in the upper echelon of Hong Kong society. It made me interested in knowing more about the people of European descent who have settled in Asia and have remained there. They're like the Afrikaners in South Africa.

So further digging led me to the Aboitiz family in the Philippines who have lived there for 5 generations since the 19th century as well. Just like the Kadoorie family in Hong Kong, they seem to be very well-off.

Then, I was trying to find some info on Dutch Indonesians who have remained in Indonesia but I could not find any info on Dutch-Indonesian families that still live there. I have read that after WWII, almost everyone either moved to the Netherlands or to Australia. I'm really curious if some have remained and who still have Caucasian features -- someone like Mark-Paul Gosselaar (who is part-Indonesian) but who was born and raised in Indonesia.

What about in Malaysia and Singapore? Are there any multi-generational British families that have remained there since colonial times?

What do Asians think of them? Do you see them as one of your own? Do they speak the local language? It looks like after WWII, almost every Dutch family moved out of Indonesia, and I've also read that most Spanish Filipinos moved out of the Philippines as well. The only ones who have remained are those that have a financial stake in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM

546 posts, read 569,260 times
Filipinos treat Filipinos of European descent with deference and respect.

According to genetic studies about 13% of Filipinos are partially Spanish/Latino while 1% are pure-bred Nordic Europeans.

30% are partially Chinese while 2 Million are pure Chinese. 1% are also South Asians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipinos

Let me clarify though that Filipinos are more Amerasian than Euroasian. Most Spanish migration during the 1500s to 1800s came via Mexico and Peru and most Europeans who settled from 1900s onwards were Americans since they colonized the country.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post

This is a problem that must be overcome

Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,186 times
Quote:

According to genetic studies about 13% of Filipinos are partially Spanish/Latino while 1% are pure-bred Nordic Europeans.

30% are partially Chinese while 2 Million are pure Chinese. 1% are also South Asians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipinos

Let me clarify though that Filipinos are more Amerasian than Euroasian. Most Spanish migration during the 1500s to 1800s came via Mexico and Peru and most Europeans who settled from 1900s onwards were Americans since they colonized the country.
"Filipinos treat Filipinos of European descent with deference and respect."

LOL. This is not a good thing. That's colonial mentality. Also, I dont think it's reverence of respect for the most part. I think it's "you look rich. I want your money"

And you're reading the DNA thing wrong. 13% is not the amount of Filipinos with Spanish ancestry. That's just the amount with Spanish Y-DNA, which is a specific line of ancestry. It doesnt tell you about ancestry as a whole. So 13% is just the Filipinos' whos dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's etc etc came from Spain. Just 1 tiny line of ancestry. So that's not all the Filipinos with Spanish DNA.

And 1% of Filipinos are pure European? So you're saying that 1 million Filipinos look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC55UgEbBzI

I highly doubt that. You might be right if you're including all the European-Filipinos in the diaspora, because a lot of the Spanish-Filipinos migrated to Spain and even Australia. So maybe there's 1 million in the world. But in the Philippines there's no way there's that many pure Spanish left.

Btw, half the people in that video I wouldnt consider white. A lot of them are mestizos, not white. But my point is, there's not 1 million Filipinos still in the Philippines who look pure European like the Ayalas, Aboitizes, Elizaldes, Jaime Fabregas, or Pilita Corrales. 100,000 would be more believable.

Last edited by manolopo; 02-08-2019 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,186 times
I find these Eurasian communities interesting:

Here's a video about the Macanese (Portuguese-descended in Macau)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoJG26_AfFc

These are the Kristangs of Malaysia and Singapore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRv9vGmYRQ

Both groups are holding onto the cultural label because their culture is different from the surrounding community. In the Philippines, the story is much different. A Spanish-Filipino shares most of the same culture as a regular Filipino. So the distinction isn't cultural. It's more just physical. Most of the people in the videos look Eurasian or full Asian. The videos would be like if regular Filipinos got together and talked about the Spanish words they use and the Spanish-derived dishes they eat. It's not a big deal to Filipinos because most of us have that culture anyways.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 AM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
I know someone in London who is a Macanese from Macau. He looks mostly Chinese, but I could tell that he's a bit mixed. He speaks fluent Portuguese and he mostly hangs out with his Brazilian friends moreso than his Chinese friends.

Also, doesn't everyone born in Macau prior to the handover get Portuguese citizenship by birth? I find that fascinating.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
I know someone in London who is a Macanese from Macau. He looks mostly Chinese, but I could tell that he's a bit mixed. He speaks fluent Portuguese and he mostly hangs out with his Brazilian friends moreso than his Chinese friends.

Also, doesn't everyone born in Macau prior to the handover get Portuguese citizenship by birth? I find that fascinating.
Those born in East Timor and Portuguese India also qualify.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:

Now I see from where the attitude is coming from . Every Filipino I met had a "I am superior" attitude.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
This is a problem that must be overcome
Treating people with respect is a problem?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Asians respect money. Anyone regardless of race, who is rich and powerful is going to get lots of respect in Asia.

Likewise, any person who is poor and useless, regardless of race, will be looked down upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia