Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 21,532 times

Advertisements

Without divulging too much about myself, I am a grad student here who has moved down from the North and who will be stuck here for four years. I am appalled at the lack of Asians here in the south, and although have received no noticeable discrimination, I am very frustrated with my lack of ability to attract your typical white, southern girl.

Without going into the details about it, I will just say that I've experienced firsthand a difference in how girls react to me being in both up north, California, and in Asia. I spent last summer in Asia with a group of similar aged ABC's (American-born Chinese), and I was basically Brad Pitt, every girl wanted me, I had to push girls away while in clubs.. granted, I am good-looking, but with just an okay personality.

Here, when a white girl sees an Asian male, even if he's good looking, she wouldn't bother batting an eyelid, because she would rather date one of the other dozen white guys hitting on her that night. I mean, what would her girlfriends think if she were dating an Asian? Also, even if I may be good looking, I would be a good-looking "Asian" guy.. and I'm different and she's not used to that. She has never found an Asian attractive before, and I would have to have a stellar personality to win her over, which I admittedly do not possess. This problem, while not absolute, does significantly limit the number of fish in my sea and give me such a low success rate that I have become disparaged. I've tried online dating with some free sites or Craigslist, and the funny thing is I cannot even remember how many times I've had good conversations with decent looking girls UNTIL I send them a picture or two and I never back from them.

Anyway, that aside, please don't try to post differing opinions on that matter because you're not going to convince me. You don't have to tell me "You just have to be confident..." blah blah blah; I know that, and that is not why I'm posting.

I was wondering if you knew of any "Asian clubs." I heard there was an Asian Christian church somewhere on James Island, but could not find any info with a quick internet search. I would suppose there aren't any "Asian nights" at nightclubs around, even in North Charleston, which I would gladly drive to if there were such Asian events. Even just informal gatherings in the area of Asians are nice...

Anyway, let me know if you have any information...thank you..!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:11 AM

163 posts, read 664,445 times
When I was there in the mid to late 1990s, Riverbend Baptist Church in Summerville, though not strictly an Asian church, had a diverse congregation including Asians of different nationalities. It seems like there were some Korean churches in the area. Maybe another poster will know where they are located.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times
Much of the Asian population of Charleston is in the Goose Creek area.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,743 times
Also, there are plenty of Chinese, Japanese, and Thai restaurants around...you could try asking the owners or workers where they socialize, go to church, etc. Just an idea....

Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,581 times
It is funny you bring these points up. My soon to be white sister in law is getting married to a Chinese guy. His parents didn't like her because of her race, until she got into Chiropractor school. How convenient!

Yes, there are two sides of the story when it comes to interracial dating.

I hear you about not hearing back from the shallow "decent looking" girls? Have the overweight unattractive prospects spurned your advances, or have you given their personality a fair chance also?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Your post is full of stereotypes and condecension, starting from the statement that you are "stuck" in a place where many people would love to live . My sincere advice is to quit dating until you've grown up. "Success rate?" I think most women are looking for a guy with a little more depth.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:01 AM

38 posts, read 161,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Your post is full of stereotypes and condecension, starting from the statement that you are "stuck" in a place where many people would love to live . My sincere advice is to quit dating until you've grown up. "Success rate?" I think most women are looking for a guy with a little more depth.
Additionally, anyone, especially an educated "grad" student, who: (1) compares himself to Brad Pitt, (2) brags about his magnetic appearance and apparent success with women in a developing country, and (3) feels a need to discuss such information on a city-data forum is narcissistic, at the minimum, and probably of questionable character, at the best.

Nearly every institution of higher education in the USA has an abundance of high quality, attractive women. If you're an attractive male, both inside and out, you should have no problem finding quality companionship at school.

My recommendation to the OP is to perform serious introspection and strongly consider making your personality as attractive as your physical attributes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area