Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:17 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times

Advertisements

I notice that Indonesian girls/ women (Muslim ones, always wearing short, minimal hijabs, and mentioning Islam on their profile) are VERY common on Facebook. This makes Indonesia a striking contrast to all other Muslim countries, Because in all other Muslim countries without exception, (Pakistan for instance), the culture seems to restrict Facebook to men only, I've only ever seen one or two women or girls. Indonesia alone seems more tolerant in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've read that maybe 10-15 years ago, it was much more secular. Now the hijab is much more common, particularly with the youth.
The hijab is much more common now GLOBALLY than it was 15-20 years ago. It is not a Indonesian thing but you will see this anywhere in the world including USA.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
The hijab is much more common now GLOBALLY than it was 15-20 years ago. It is not a Indonesian thing but you will see this anywhere in the world including USA.

its a human rights violation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxWQ-cGBQ8

Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I notice that Indonesian girls/ women (Muslim ones, always wearing short, minimal hijabs, and mentioning Islam on their profile) are VERY common on Facebook. This makes Indonesia a striking contrast to all other Muslim countries, Because in all other Muslim countries without exception, (Pakistan for instance), the culture seems to restrict Facebook to men only, I've only ever seen one or two women or girls. Indonesia alone seems more tolerant in that respect.
From what I've observed, all of the islands seem to be very matriarchal in culture, in a general sense. This seems to conflict with buth Islam and Christianity, where the "traditional" roles lean toward patriarchalism. There's always been a bit of push-and-pull with that, more evident in Indonesia than the Phillipines (where the guys seem to be happy to let their wives/girlfriends run things for them) but still present in both countries. heck, both countries have had female leaders already, and got there faster than most of the liberal Western republics.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
That's a good point! Yes, it's one of the few Islamic countries where it is consistently easy to see women on social media on a regular basis.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:49 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/w...-teachers.html

I would say definitely Islamic city..quite a bit more than KL.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/w...-teachers.html

I would say definitely Islamic city..quite a bit more than KL.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei are indeed qualifying without much if any hesitation. The real Asia starts just east of Kazakhstan/The Other Stan's/Pakistan starting around India/far Western Xinjiang to Tibet China. These three nations are extra surprising to the authentic demographics statistics.

Jakarta is counting to the atmosphere. Real Nargile lounges with those water vapor pipes of Mint, Cherry, Watermelon infinite variety in these version of flavors to the smoke is a very Middle Eastern thing. The way enough people dress. And there are Mosques.

A foreign World compared to the rest of Asia, yet still belonging to those titles too.

Last edited by ; 01-23-2020 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-28-2020, 06:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Durterte has some good ideas for the phillipines like renaming it instead keeping it named after a spanish king and getting away from papalism. But he's crazier than trump. He'll sell out the country out to people's republic of china. He also seems sympathetic to the bedoiun cause.
Apparently he has been a secret Muslim the whole time (despite the poor English sentence structure):

https://www.manilatimes.net/2019/01/...-islam/499118/

Of course that won't go well with his PRC masters currently conducting their anti-Islamization program. Being pro-Palestinian (if that's what you meant by the Bedouin cause) will keep him out-of-favor with Trump and the rest of the Zionist West.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I’m in Jakarta now.

It’s an international cosmopolitan city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia