Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:57 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,922 times

Advertisements

This is HUGE news, surprised there's no thread on it. Feel free to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
It is actually. Rising sea levels due to global warming are going to put a lot of our largest cities in jeopardy. Especially one's where sinking is already an issue. Jakarta is probably just the first notable one, but there will be more. By the time this planet finally gets its collective head on its shoulder regarding this issue, for so many it simply won't be enough.

A 16 year old Swedish Climate activist Greta Thunberg said it best:

“Adults keep saying we owe it to the young people, to give them hope. But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.”

Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
I think it's an interesting plan. If I'm not mistaken, Egypt and Turkey have proposed similar ideas.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
at least they are planning ahead

Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
The Philippines kinda has a similar plan, except they're calling it a "secondary capital," which will be in Clark, Pampanga- about 100 km North of Metro Manila. It will be connected to Metro Manila via highway and rail. It already has its own international airport. I like this plan because it removes a lot of congestion from Manila but it's still connected to Manila. It's not like they're abandoning Manila, just spreading it out

Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM

400 posts, read 238,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This is HUGE news, surprised there's no thread on it. Feel free to discuss.
The location of new capital city will be around Penajam Paser Utara Regency and Kutai Kertanegara Regency. Quite close to 2 main cities in the province, Samarinda and Balikpapan. Each of them has International Airport serving the city that can be upgraded as the main gates to the new capital (IMO building new one will be redundant). Balikpapan and Samarinda has underconstruction expressway that will be completed very soon. In the long run it will be connected to other areas via Trans Kalimantan highway.

Balikpapan-Samarinda Expressway

And I heard neighboring countries, Malaysia and Brunei also focus on building infrastructures in their side of the island. In the future, among the three countries will be connected by railway system.

Indonesia's Trans Kalimantan Railway

Trans Borneo Railway (Indonesia-Malaysia-Brunei)

Old 08-28-2019, 06:42 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
Does this move them closer to Sharia Law? I noticed Brunei up there, who do stonings. Myanmar moved their capital, too. Don't hear much positive from expats about living in Indonesia around Bangkok, where I live, and Bali might be well past it's prime.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 AM

157 posts, read 89,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It is actually. Rising sea levels due to global warming are going to put a lot of our largest cities in jeopardy. Especially one's where sinking is already an issue. Jakarta is probably just the first notable one, but there will be more. By the time this planet finally gets its collective head on its shoulder regarding this issue, for so many it simply won't be enough.

A 16 year old Swedish Climate activist Greta Thunberg said it best:

“Adults keep saying we owe it to the young people, to give them hope. But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.”

Given that Obama just bought a $15 million ocean water front estate after 8 years of global warming doom mongering somehow I don't think we should take "rising sea levels" too seriously. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...roperties.html

Most likely the reason for the capital move is same as when Brazil moved their capital to Brasilia, the local region was too overcrowded which made further expansion expensive and difficult. In addition it (theoretically) helps to spread the wealth a bit to poorer inland communities.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
all who work in government agencies will move to Kalimantan/Borneo, are they strong living in distant places that are not as complete as like Jakarta ... there are many pros and cons about this, we hope to realize the plan to move the capital to Kalimantan or Borneo ... Jakarta is already densely populated

Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 AM

400 posts, read 238,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Does this move them closer to Sharia Law? I noticed Brunei up there, who do stonings.
Not really. Kalimantan is diverse in term of religions.
Anyway, I don't get the over dramatic response for such law. Just respect, know the boundaries, and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Myanmar moved their capital, too. Don't hear much positive from expats about living in Indonesia around Bangkok, where I live, and Bali might be well past it's prime.
Indonesia tourism industry has been growing pretty fast for the past few years. And contrary to popular belief, Indonesia is much safer than many developed countries. And is safer than Thailand in general. So yeah, depends on your mindset. If having Moslem standing next to you freaks you out, Indonesia is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia