Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 04:06 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
In my opinion, China can survive years of sea blockade before problems become very serious. Chinese leaders probably believe they can outlast the USA, but I disagree. It is in the USAs interests to blockade China and let them slowly suffocate as it won't cost the USA much, China is too weak to break the blockade and it won't result in Taiwan being bombed to the ground.
This is crazy talk. Do you think China would permit itself to be blockaded? It's not even in the realm of possibility they would. Losses would be enormous and there is no appetite for that here in the states, nor should there be.

I'm sure it is in US interests to try to blockade them, Lindsey Graham would agree with you. Nevertheless, just because we are getting our arses kicked in global commerce doesn't justify trying to blockade them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 08:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
This is crazy talk. Do you think China would permit itself to be blockaded? It's not even in the realm of possibility they would. Losses would be enormous and there is no appetite for that here in the states, nor should there be.

I'm sure it is in US interests to try to blockade them, Lindsey Graham would agree with you. Nevertheless, just because we are getting our arses kicked in global commerce doesn't justify trying to blockade them.
Losses won't be enormous for the USA. China lack the strength to break a sea blockade. If it tries to break the blockade then China's navy will be an easy target for America's submarines. Ship after ship will get sunk and tens of thousands of Chinese will die every day. That would be a national embarrassment for China, so most likely it won't even try and trade through Russia instead.

This is also a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier. Pro-CCP Chinese have deluded themselves into thinking it will be easy. They can just invade, Taiwan will fall quickly, the USA won't dare to do anything significant and China will finally achieve national rejuvenation. For them it is all about timing, not if the invasion is feasible.

Russians also thought the Ukraine war would be easy and it is clear that pro-CCP Chinese have learned nothing from Russia's mistakes.

Last edited by Camlon; 03-12-2023 at 09:09 PM..

Old 03-12-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Perfect example of what I mentioned earlier. Pro-CCP Chinese have deluded themselves into thinking it will be easy. They can just invade, Taiwan will fall quickly, the USA won't dare to do anything significant and China will finally achieve national rejuvenation. For them it is all about timing, not if the invasion is feasible.

Russians also thought the Ukraine war would be easy and it is clear that pro-CCP Chinese have learned nothing from Russia's mistakes.
You are making up replies that have nothing to do with what I said? Do you need help reading? I made no comment regarding invasion of Taiwan 'being easy'. I didn't comment at all on that.

YOU are the one stating how China is powerless to stop a blockade...and it 'won't cost the US much'. You must live in a fantasy to think this type of maneuver won't cost much. Try commenting on what is actually being stated, not fantasies of what was stated. Your comment about how it 'won't cost the US much' is likely complete horse manure. Trying to blockade China would be costly and there is no guarantee we would even have support from a lot of nations we traditionally strongarm into supporting us.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Losses won't be enormous. China lack the strength to break a sea blockade. If it tries to break the blockade then hundreds of thousands of Chinese will die and China's best ships will get sunk. That would be a national embarrassment for China, so most likely it won't even try and trade through Russia instead.

This is also a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier. Pro-CCP Chinese have deluded themselves into thinking it will be easy. They can just invade, Taiwan will fall quickly, the USA won't dare to do anything significant and China will finally achieve national rejuvenation. For them it is all about timing, not if the invasion is feasible.

Now that you amended your post, I need to reply a second time to it.
You just changed from 'not costing much' in your first post to now stating the losses 'won't be enormous'. So which is your view? "Not much" or "Not enormous"?

Old 03-12-2023, 09:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
You are making up replies that have nothing to do with what I said? Do you need help reading? I made no comment regarding invasion of Taiwan 'being easy'. I didn't comment at all on that.

YOU are the one stating how China is powerless to stop a blockade...and it 'won't cost the US much'. You must live in a fantasy to think this type of maneuver won't cost much. Try commenting on what is actually being stated, not fantasies of what was stated. Your comment about how it 'won't cost the US much' is likely complete horse manure. Trying to blockade China would be costly and there is no guarantee we would even have support from a lot of nations we traditionally strongarm into supporting us.
Of course you think it will be easy, you just said that a blockade will lead to enormous losses for the USA, so there won't be any appetite for it.

If you don't think the USA can implement a blockade, then you definitely don't believe they will fight with China directly and I am sure you don't think Taiwan can beat China on its own, as that would imply that China is weak. That means, you do think China can Invade, win quickly and the USA can do nothing except implementing some toothless sanctions.

The rest of my post is to tell everyone that you are a perfect example of my earlier point that pro-CCP Chinese have deluded themselves into thinking that an invasion will be easy.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Of course you think it will be easy, you just said that a blockade will lead to enormous losses for the USA, so there won't be any appetite for it.

If you don't think the USA can implement a blockade, then you definitely don't believe they will fight with China directly and I am sure you don't think Taiwan can beat China on its own, as that would imply that China is weak. That means, you do think China can Invade, win quickly and the USA can do nothing except implementing some toothless sanctions.

The rest of my post is to tell everyone that you are a perfect example of my earlier point that pro-CCP Chinese have deluded themselves into thinking that an invasion will be easy.

What a brain dead post!

You like to reply to strawmen instead of what was stated. YOU are the with the fantastical commentary. ...and then (Instead of reading) you attempt the failed mind-reader act. I don't know about if attacking Taiwan would be easy or necessary for China, but it is easy to call out your ridiculous commentary regarding it 'not costing too much' for the US to try to blockade China. Fantasy to think that, and that the spillover effects won't be enormous.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:02 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
China has enough missiles to destroy Taiwan without invading it. At best Taiwan can intercept 80% of the incoming missiles. The 20% that make it through can cause a lot of damages and effectively cripple Taiwan.

China probably won't do this, but who knows. This scenario would avoid a confrontation with the USA.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:08 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,100 times
China actually has enough food. It imports some food due to lower costs or better taste.
The imports are mostly from Southeast Asia where costs are mostly cheaper than China.
About 90% of the food eaten by the people in China are not imported.
Food from the western countries are mostly bought by the people in large cities not most Chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Russia has a huge agriculture plain and energy enough for itself. China doesn't.
China's export based economy may keep the peace for a very long time. Can a country who imports 65% of its energy and a large percentage of its food afford to endure the sanctions Russia is feeling?... I wouldn't think so.
Cutting off Russian imports and exports mean doing without Russian raw materials; they had to finished good to speak of. And, as we are seeing, raw materials are available from lots of sources.

But China! They export tons of finished goods and import tons of raw materials and food. How could they possibly do battle with Europe and North America?

I think China has their eye on Eastern Russia, which has the oil, gas and water China needs. Taiwan, I think (I hope) is a sideshow intended to ramp up Chinese unity, the way Trump's illegal immigration did.

Old 03-13-2023, 01:19 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
China actually has enough food. It imports some food due to lower costs or better taste.
The imports are mostly from Southeast Asia where costs are mostly cheaper than China.
About 90% of the food eaten by the people in China are not imported.
Food from the western countries are mostly bought by the people in large cities not most Chinese.

Quote:
Despite its domestic production, China has been a net importer of agricultural products since 2004. Today, it imports more of these products—including soybeans, corn, wheat, rice, and dairy products—than any other country. Between 2000 and 2020, the country’s food self-sufficiency ratio decreased from 93.6 percent to 65.8 percent.
Quote:
China’s food import dependence will likely increase as the amount of arable land continues to diminish. Between 2013 and 2019, China lost more than 5 percent of its arable land due to factors such as excess fertilizer use and land neglect
https://www.cfr.org/article/china-in...-thats-problem

Old 03-13-2023, 01:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,320,351 times
Read that one 26-year old Taiwanese soldier swam across the strait towards the mainland. Before DPP realised it, CPP confirmed that they had him. The last time that happened was 42 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia