Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM

342 posts, read 1,927,048 times

Advertisements

I am planning to go on vacation in Indonesia and plan to spend about four days in Bali and four days in Lombok. Bali and Lombok are islands, not cities, so it is very unclear to me which city is the best place to stay in each island. I am mainly interested in seeing cultural, historic, and scenic places and things. I do not plan to spend time at the beach. I have looked at travel guides but they do not indicate the which are the preferred places to stay, they just list the alternatives.

If anyone could suggest the best city to stay in at Bali and the best city to stay in at Lombok given my situation I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
For culture in Bali.. your best bet is in Ubud. Hand down. Kuta is beachy. Nusa Dua is high end and beach. Enjoy the balinese artwork at the galleries up there and its a little cooler than the coast. Last time I was there I happened to witness a funeral.. it was fascinating esp. with the cremation and the ceremony involved...

Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 16,504 times
bali also has a naked beach...it is located around jimbaran bay area

Old 11-08-2008, 09:36 AM

63 posts, read 213,328 times
Bali has better infrastructures and hotels, but lombok is cheaper. They're close thou.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:42 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
when do you plan on going?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I am planning to go on vacation in Indonesia and plan to spend about four days in Bali and four days in Lombok. Bali and Lombok are islands, not cities, so it is very unclear to me which city is the best place to stay in each island. I am mainly interested in seeing cultural, historic, and scenic places and things. I do not plan to spend time at the beach. I have looked at travel guides but they do not indicate the which are the preferred places to stay, they just list the alternatives.

If anyone could suggest the best city to stay in at Bali and the best city to stay in at Lombok given my situation I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
On Bali Island, UBUD is the one for culture, and KUTA is the crazy beach spot.

I'm curious though if anyone knows a third option...one that has beaches and culture but not the agressive touts and such that I hear haunt Kuta...

Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Kuta is a dump. Not sure why anyone would want to stay there.

There are some very nice areas in the northeast but there isn't much culture there.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Kuta is a dump. Not sure why anyone would want to stay there.

There are some very nice areas in the northeast but there isn't much culture there.
Yeah, I've heard Kuta is real bad. Just aggressive sellers everywhere and real young Aussies getting drunk everywhere.

Did you find another beach that is pleasant to spend time....?

Ubud is a must...but thinking of a beach option as well...but not Kuta. Any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, I've heard Kuta is real bad. Just aggressive sellers everywhere and real young Aussies getting drunk everywhere.

Did you find another beach that is pleasant to spend time....?

Ubud is a must...but thinking of a beach option as well...but not Kuta. Any suggestions?
That is about as good of a description of Kuta as one will ever hear.

I stayed somewhere around here in northeast Bali and it was pretty cool. But all natural beauty, not much culture. All the culture is in Ubud anyway.
**Hidden Paradise Cottages - Amed Bali Beach Hotel-Indonesia**

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Leeper is a great snorkeling place.

There are homestays all over the place in Ubud. Just go and walk around. No need for advance bookings.
Kuta is just another city but has some good accommodations.
If you're looking for sarongs and stuff to send home, try jalan 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia