Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahawa View Post
Actually, for someone who has as much time as you obviously do to 'contribute' to this forum, I have a feeling you're probably a lot less important than you seem to think you are.
Dial it down a little, you're not impressing anyone, least of all me.

Oh, and congratulations on 'liking India'. I'm sure they're eternally grateful to you.

Meanwhile for anyone who wants to read some unbiased views on India, here are a few. This is from the perspective of a non-Indian married to an Indian expat.

The country is absolutely vast, you will find 3rd, 2nd and 1st world living standards within its borders. Remember this when you visit and it will save you some time.

The people are on the whole very proud of their culture, their history (with a couple of obvious blips) - so drop your notions of western superiority. They will be polite and helpful to you but not because they worship you, but because that's the way Indians treat guests.

Take the time to visit any of the innumerable ancient temples, monuments, relics - India has layer upon layer of history and it is truly a fascinating place. This place has had a continuous, unbroken civilisation for several thousand years, and it shows, if you take the time to look and appreciate it.

The landscape can be breath-takingly beautiful. My advice is to venture away from the big, hot cities and into the countryside - there's more space, more time and you feel like you really are in one of the most magnificent places on earth.

Finally, go with an open mind. Don't expect pristine streets - this is a place that celebrates life and people live it to the fullest of their abilities. People are curious and will not be shy in showing that. They want to know where you're from, what you're doing there, but it is never threatening or dangerous.
and all of 4 posts to your name, wow...I think you need to familiarize yourself with the forum TOS before you post further. This forum gets heavy moderation. Attack the idea, not the poster, or you will find out what banned camp looks like.

I've seen my fair share of India, and the streets of Noida are a tough introduction to the country. But I've also taken excursion to the Taj, Jodhpur, Pune, Mumbai, and a few hill statation between the two. Beautiful country indeed - I just don't understand why in a beutiful remote hill station overlook, I still see trash everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I'm going to visit Goa and Poona next year, I acknowledge it's a "softer" port of entry for an European first time in India, am I rigt or am I in for a shock anyway? (what I fear most is getting a "Delhi belly"...what are the basic precautions to take concerning food and beverages?)

Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm going to visit Goa and Poona next year, I acknowledge it's a "softer" port of entry for an European first time in India, am I rigt or am I in for a shock anyway? (what I fear most is getting a "Delhi belly"...what are the basic precautions to take concerning food and beverages?)
Same as anywhere else tropical, just make sure everything you eat is either peeled, washed, boiled, fried, baked, or grilled. Any fruits you see being sold by vendors with an attractive sheen is probably getting a liberal dousing of "government supply" water, which you should also avoid. Check your water bottles for broken seals, and if the bottle looks even slightly deflated, find a new one.

My favourite India moments were accidentally getting on a train headed for Jaipur or Jaisalmer in Delhi Cantt, then realizing my mistake and jumping off the moving train back on to the platform. Sleeper class on Indian Rails in general is pretty interesting.

My other favourite memory, oddly enough, was climbing to the top of a ridge just outside of a small foothill town called Jageshwar, to try and see the himalayas in the background. It was too dusty being late spring, but I did the 3km vertical hike at 5am, and when I finally got back down around 10 or 11, I saw a book for sale in a store called "The Maneaters of Kumaon". I was in the region of Kumaon, and the fact that I was hiking around alone before daylight with tigers possibly abound was freaky.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Just finished my fourth trip to India and this was the first time I ever got sick (actually it was "Agra belly"). Since three of our party got it, we determined that it wasn't my more adventurous eating that was to blame. Rather, we traced it to a buffet at a fancy restaurant near Fatehpur Sikri. I had read a warning about buffets but this one just looked so good (and I'd never had problems before) ... Anyway, apparently because the food in buffet lines sits out for longer and is not always kept at an adequately high temperature it is at a higher risk of contamination than a dish that is cooked on the spot.

So that's my one tip that you may not have heard before - avoid buffets. The rest you probably already know - drink filtered or bottled water only, be careful with uncooked foods (verify that they were washed with filtered water and otherwise avoid them), no ice (unless it was made with filtered water), etc. Also, I strongly recommend making sure you are vaccinated against hepatitis (A and B are available in a combination vaccine).

Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 PM

I love Hampi! Ruins of the Vijayanagar Empire (circa 1400-1600 AD) widely spread out in an beautiful, boulder-strewn landscape in northeastern Karnataka. Stayed in Hampi Bazaar, a friendly and relaxed village that is just north of the archaeological sites.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You will be in shock. But that's OK the human spirit needs it every so often. It's good for you.

My companies business travelers to India eat only in 4 star western hotels, or with catered food - they still get sick. It's part of traveling to India. Just bring with you the standard medicinals to address the symptoms. I always get some sort of stomach difficulties, fortunetly they have been mild and treatable. The tap water by the way in western hotels should be safe as they are all filtered, or so they say.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Default you made my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You will be in shock. But that's OK the human spirit needs it every so often. It's good for you.

My companies business travelers to India eat only in 4 star western hotels, or with catered food - they still get sick. It's part of traveling to India. Just bring with you the standard medicinals to address the symptoms. I always get some sort of stomach difficulties, fortunetly they have been mild and treatable. The tap water by the way in western hotels should be safe as they are all filtered, or so they say.
Thank you for your candid answer, it just made me decide to cancel that trip. We are older people (I'm 60, my wife is 66), we don't need that kind of shock. Besides my wife have stomach problems.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your candid answer, it just made me decide to cancel that trip. We are older people (I'm 60, my wife is 66), we don't need that kind of shock. Besides my wife have stomach problems.
Awww, sorry I hate to be the cause of it. I think my comments were accurate but you know other's of course will come in this thread and say "No Dd714 you are an idiot, I've never been sick in India" so listen to other comments as well.
For me, I just take the pluses and the minuses of India. The minuses are vast but the pluses make up for it and make it a rewarding trip.
The shock is in terms of culture shock - again some of it is bad - the trash and filth, the poverty, the traffic, the smog - and some is good - the sights and smells that almost overload the senses. You will be missing the trip of a lifetime because there simply is no place on earth like India, and that's reason enough to travel there. On the other hand, yeah, it's not for everyone.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 AM

Default Dd 74

Thanks for your insight anyway.
That's what I like with the CD forums : one exchanges very openly different opinions with random people, and it can sometimes be very useful in the shaping up of concrete personal decisions.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 PM

I think Dd714's comments are valid and accurate. You can't travel in India and not acknowledge the negative aspects that he (or she) mentions. And yet, I still go back. There's just something about the place that draws me. That said, I'm getting older and there are parts of the country that I'm finished with. I never much liked the mega-cities and now I can't see any reason to endure the crowding, mayhem, and pollution there (except to travel through, preferably in and out of the airport). Another place that I'll be happy to never visit again is Agra (the Taj Mahal is great the first time, and not worth the hassle after that). I like to find the smaller, out-of the-way places. My favorite parts of the country are the southern Indian states, the Himalayas, and some of the south central part of the country (Maharashtra, Madya Pradesh).

That said, pigeonhole, Goa and Pune (haven't been to the latter) could be reasonable for a first time, somewhat wary visitor to India. I was in Goa on this last trip and stayed in a laid-back fishing village called Benaulim. The taxi ride to the airport was reasonably calm, and the airport itself is modern and efficient. You might consider flying directly from Mumbai to Goa. Both the Mumbai airports (international and domestic) are very modern and getting from one to the other is easy.

Last edited by xeric; 06-05-2015 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia