Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times

Advertisements

I am a minister (duh, probably obvious by my username), and while I recommend that people tithe to the church, I also let it be known that if it means tithing or eating, eat; if it means tithing or paying the rent, pay the rent.

Our church is on the small side, and I don't make much but I am blessed that I don't have large bills like others. Personally I tithe 10% but I don't ask who else does, nor do I look at the books to see who does so I can admonish those who do not.

Unfortunately we cannot help out all those who ask us, but we do our best to help out our own congregants when they run into trouble. Not always easy but then again, no-one said life would always be easy.

(p.s. I hope you don't mind me reading and posting on your forum, some of the wisdom I get here is priceless. It also reminds me of how many charlatans exist in religion today... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I am a minister (duh, probably obvious by my username), and while I recommend that people tithe to the church, I also let it be known that if it means tithing or eating, eat; if it means tithing or paying the rent, pay the rent.

Our church is on the small side, and I don't make much but I am blessed that I don't have large bills like others. Personally I tithe 10% but I don't ask who else does, nor do I look at the books to see who does so I can admonish those who do not.

Unfortunately we cannot help out all those who ask us, but we do our best to help out our own congregants when they run into trouble. Not always easy but then again, no-one said life would always be easy.

(p.s. I hope you don't mind me reading and posting on your forum, some of the wisdom I get here is priceless. It also reminds me of how many charlatans exist in religion today... )
Not a closed thread revrandy, welcome, and a reminder that most believers are reasonable, thinking people, not the extremist that are the most active posters here.

I recognize that churches are a part of our society, and some do seem to have the purpose of making their community a better place, some but not all. It today's tough times, I see them feeding and helping many of people down on their luck, in fact banning together to create a countywide ministry with homeless shelters, battered women shelter, and a veterans shelter near the VA hospital.

It is a welcome to see posts from members of the reasonable majority of believes as you are typically drown out by the hatred and intolerance of the extremists.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
revrandy, I agree with AN. You seem to have a good grip. Also, reading your location answer - I'm pretty sure you're alright!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Default Kudos to RevRandy!

It is refreshing to see a leader of church actually leading! The church we used to attend would preach that the 10% was just a starting point. Yikes for people not making much income! And we were taught that the tithes always comes before the rent, food, power bill, etc..... uh hello....?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Just a different spin on the same topic - God called the Church (according to the Bible) to take care of the widows, the orphans, and the poor. Why is it then that most churches don't do it??? Most churches don't offer assistance, financial or otherwise, to widows, orphans or to the poor. In addition, most Fundamental church members I know want to see the demise of welfare, state funded assistance (WICK, etc), and some want medicaid and medicare to be restricted or eliminated. I'm not arguing that these things should or shouldn't exist. Not my point. My point is that if Christians were doing what they were called to do, according to their own belief system and book, there would be no need for public assistance, right? Doesn't that make them hypocrites? Hmmm. What are churches doing with all the money if they aren't helping others? Oh, right, planting flowers, buying stationary, and paying someone to sit on his/her butt and do nothing.
I've noticed some Christians stating that the government should have no part in helping the poor, because churches can do a better job of it. And I think that could be true, if churches would actually get serious about helping the poor. How many poor could have been clothed and fed for the $70,000 spent on a huge, hand-made, imported stained glass window (a local church here actually has that in there new building. There was a newspaper article about it)? How many widows and orphans could have been given food, shelter, and clothing with just a fraction of the money spent on a brand new mega-church? My company contracted the electrical supplies for a huge new church a couple of years ago. The bulk of the original order was well over $250,000, and for the next two years they were ordering more items literally every day. I'd estimate the final total would be at least $500,000. And that's just the electrical supplies, and just from us. Chances are they bought more electrical supplies from other companies when they were cheaper than us. One can only imagine how much the entire building cost that congregation. And I have no doubt that this congregation does a lot of good for a lot of people, but think how much more they could do if they had built a minimalist structure with folding chairs, air conditioning, heat, and bathrooms. That would provide far more comfort during church services than a large portion of the world has during their daily lives. Let alone the luxuries that this church apparently can't do without. If they wanted to put an end to welfare, big churches like this could actually do it. I'd be all for that.
Quote:

Your church sounds similar to my dad's church. They don't have a huge cash flow, but they have enough to stay afloat and to help others in the congregation who need help (which is often). They can't afford vast missionary trips, or inner-city programs, or massive food drives at Christmas. But per member, I'd say they do far more good than the mega church I mentioned earlier. If the mega churches in my town were as generous and genuine as my dad's church, I doubt there would be anyone living in poverty in this town, possibly in the whole county.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:

Rev - it is very nice to get responses from people with your outlook. I cannot but help contrast your approach with that some many others who are simply after money. You may not agree with me but this phenomenon (of padding one's pockets in the name of god) seems to be more widespread in the US. I have travelled in Asia quite a bit, and have seen many preachers (Bhuddists, Sikhs, Christians, Hindus etc) actually live extremely simple lives devoid of wealth some seem to strive for in the US. It is sickening to see people believe (as was the case for Oral Roberts in Tulsa) that if they (mostly poor followers) did not donate x million dollars, god would "recall" Oral. Amazing part is that he met his goal of donations - people are sometime so gullible and trusting of some religious leaders. If there is a god and a hell, I hope these greedy
nuts will be subject to eternal roast ....

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've noticed some Christians stating that the government should have no part in helping the poor, because churches can do a better job of it. And I think that could be true, if churches would actually get serious about helping the poor.
Impossible. There's no way to guarantee people would give out of the kindness of their hearts or obedience to an imaginary diety when you can just tax them. This is a huge problem I have with people who decry government spending on social welfare programs and think the church or people donating money to faith based organizations is really helping anyone. When the church doles out money or feeds people it's motive is to convert people. Sure they may provide a few one times needs for people but I have no doubt that more people are fed, clothed, housed, and educated with public funds than all churches combined.

To me, giving money to religious organizations to do social work is actually just a way to rob from the poor. There is no way a church can logistically repalce the role in assisting the poor and needy that the federal government does.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
What's funny is whenever you see one of these prosperity preachers (or any preacher) in a bind, they never do practice what they preach. You always see them begging for money from their followers. Shouldn't they just give more and have faith God will bless them. I mean, it's all their fault if they're in a bind for doubting God. Maybe he's just testing them?

My grandma used to watch all the old tv charletons: Copeland, Tilton, Price, Hinn, ect. Sometimes I wish there were a hell, so I could watch these crooks roast. It's enough to make me want to puke.
Hummmmmmm, your reactions are considerably more civil than those that show up in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism