Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times

Advertisements

In my experience, theism and/or atheism are not usually linked to a person's character.

One of my in-laws is a good example. I can't stand the guy. He's angry, condescending, and better than the rest of the world. His upbringing was religious, and he even considered the priesthood, from what I was told. Over time, he decided instead to become an atheist. I'm certain that he used to dog people because they weren't faithful--now he dogs them if they are. I don't see that his beliefs changed his personality. A change in his beliefs only changed the people onto whom he projected his anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM

705 posts, read 1,111,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
It's also hypocritical for atheists to think they are tolerant when they are intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. It's very rare to find an atheist who is tolerant of Christian's beliefs.

Jesus said the only way to the Father is through Him. Jesus is not tolerant. He reprimanded people constantly. Christians are told to love others, but being tolerant of other people's beliefs is completely contrary to Christ's teachings. Jesus made it clear we need to change (again intolerance ) and follow Him.

What makes someone nice? That seems highly subjective. Was Jesus "nice"? He was despised by many. He called people hypocrites and rebuked them. If the person a Christian is following (Jesus Christ) was hated why would people like His followers? Again, it really depends on what you mean by "nice".
Don't lump all us atheists together, I can tolerate anything in a person, but I will not tolerate a liar, thief or drunk/doper. But, in reality, I dont care what a person believes. I am more concerned with their actions and what kind of person they are. I've always felt that there are only two kinds of people on this planet; ignorant and intelligent. I choose to curry friendships and relationships with intelligent folks.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Don't lump all us atheists together, I can tolerate anything in a person, but I will not tolerate a liar, thief or drunk/doper. But, in reality, I dont care what a person believes. I am more concerned with their actions and what kind of person they are. I've always felt that there are only two kinds of people on this planet; ignorant and intelligent. I choose to curry friendships and relationships with intelligent folks.
Are you tolerant of rape? Child molestation? What if they believe this is okay?

No one is tolerant of everything and we shouldn't! If we were tolerant of everything than no one could ever be punished because that would be intolerant.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,971 times
Quote:
I live in L.A. and most people I know are atheists or agnostic. You are one of the very few I've encountered that genuinely is tolerant of everyone. Atheists love to talk about how tolerant they are, but in reality they are tolerant of people who agree with them. You are a rarity.

No, I don't care who is tolerant, but I think it's hypocritical for people to complain about Christians not being tolerant yet that same person isn't tolerant of Christians. Jesus is not tolerant so I have no problem with people telling me I'm not tolerant. If being tolerant is what it takes to be nice than I'm not nice. I don't think tolerance is what makes a person nice though.
Is being tolerant to tolerance part of being tolerant

I am not tolerant at all. Moderator cut: deleted

As long as people keep their beliefs to themselves then fine.

One thing I refuse to be is a hypocrite. I'm an atheist and an educated person who does not believe in superstitious nonsense, why should I tolerate someone being openly rude by trying to convert me or tell me how I should live.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Is being tolerant to tolerance part of being tolerant

I am not tolerant at all. Moderator cut: orphaned

As long as people keep their beliefs to themselves then fine.

One thing I refuse to be is a hypocrite. I'm an atheist and an educated person who does not believe in superstitious nonsense, why should I tolerate someone being openly rude by trying to convert me or tell me how I should live.
Thanks for being honest! I respect you for it

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2010 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM

705 posts, read 1,111,950 times
Quote:
Are you tolerant of rape? Child molestation? What if they believe this is okay?

No one is tolerant of everything and we shouldn't! If we were tolerant of everything than no one could ever be punished because that would be intolerant.
"Are you tolerant of rape? Child molestation? What if they believe this is okay?"

C'mon, gimme a break, we're talkin here about tolerance to religious types. Do you really think any intelligent person would tolerate the things you alluded to.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,405,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
"Are you tolerant of rape? Child molestation? What if they believe this is okay?"

C'mon, gimme a break, we're talkin here about tolerance to religious types. Do you really think any intelligent person would tolerate the things you alluded to.
Apparently some people need religious committment levrom toalleviate their own guilt for their unethical behavior. As a result they are unwilling to admit that basicaaly "moral" people do not have those guilts, nor do they have the psychological need for absolution.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,249,262 times
If one is going to be truely tolerant of the religious, the understanding that witnessing and 'spreading the word' and attempts to convert are part of the directives of some religions.
I hold a certain respect for those that take the time and make the effort to not shirk this duty while the majority profess the beliefs but then have all sorts of excuses to not make any personal effort.

Although once it's been made clear that I am not interested, if approached personally, mutual respect is expected....more becomes irritating and sometimes close to harassment

Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,405,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If one is going to be truely tolerant of the religious, the understanding that witnessing and 'spreading the word' and attempts to convert are part of the directives of some religions.
I hold a certain respect for those that take the time and make the effort to not shirk this duty while the majority profess the beliefs but then have all sorts of excuses to not make any personal effort.

Although once it's been made clear that I am not interested, if approached personally, mutual respect is expected....more becomes irritating and sometimes close to harassment
I find those people to be uneducated...they claim that "the word of God" is the most important thing in their life--yet not one can read those words in their original languages.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 AM

783 posts, read 816,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I find those people to be uneducated...they claim that "the word of God" is the most important thing in their life--yet not one can read those words in their original languages.
I agree the bibble is not the word of god but it is the fallible word of translators and translations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism