Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Nothing at all. Of course a better question should be - what does religion or Christianity have to do with the Boy Scouts?

But my point was that the situation in this article perfectly illustrates what happens when one religion has majority control of government, whether it is the government of the USA or the administration of a Scout troupe.
Religion has been a part of the BSA since day one.
The BSA version of the Scout Law states in part: "A Scout is reverent. He is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties and respects the convictions of others in matters of custom and religion." The BSA "Declaration of Religious Principle" states that "no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation of God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which the member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life."
The first religious recognition program for Scouts began in 1926 when the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles began the Ad Altare Dei for altar boys who were Boy Scouts. The program was expanded nationally in 1939 and the BSA approved the medal for uniform wear.
The first Protestant religious emblem program was established in 1943 by the Lutheran church as Pro Deo Et Patria. The Jewish Ner Tamid program began in 1944 and the God and Country program used by several Protestant denominations followed in 1945. The 1948 handbook was the first to include the religious emblem programs and it described Roman Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Buddhist, Lutheran and the general Protestant program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, I just think it is funny when intolerant Christians turn on other intolerant Christians.
I am curious how you know that those two Mormons are intolerant?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Of course you are. I don't really care. I just wondered why you didn't post it on the Christianity forum, that's all.
Because the Christians can't agree on who is actually a Christian.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Religion has been a part of the BSA since day one.
The BSA version of the Scout Law states in part: "A Scout is reverent. He is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties and respects the convictions of others in matters of custom and religion." The BSA "Declaration of Religious Principle" states that "no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation of God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and organization or group with which the member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life."
The first religious recognition program for Scouts began in 1926 when the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles began the Ad Altare Dei for altar boys who were Boy Scouts. The program was expanded nationally in 1939 and the BSA approved the medal for uniform wear.
The first Protestant religious emblem program was established in 1943 by the Lutheran church as Pro Deo Et Patria. The Jewish Ner Tamid program began in 1944 and the God and Country program used by several Protestant denominations followed in 1945. The 1948 handbook was the first to include the religious emblem programs and it described Roman Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Buddhist, Lutheran and the general Protestant program.
Yes, I am aware of the religious history of the scouts. That doesn't change the fact that religion really has absolutely ZERO to do with being a scout or an upstanding citizen of society. Everything that is done currently in the scouts could be achieved just as well without mention of any God or religious ceremony. The theo-fascist declaration that "no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation of God" is a lie and is downright insulting to nonreligious citizens and citizens who do not accept or believe in monotheism or the Judeo Christian deity in particular.

Basically the scouts in their current incarnation are nothing more than a front for throwing religious propaganda and instilling religious (mainly Christian) based discrimination and bigotry into children.

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 10-25-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM

^^^You are hostile and wrong. Baden Powell started Scouting with respect toward God, not just Christianity also. You take from it what you want, if you want to throw out the entirety of the program because it doesnt fit your agenda then go right ahead.

Being a member of the Boy Scouts is completely optional, feel free to ignore it. They'll continue to develop Americas leaders without you. The Boy Scouts are primarily about developing confidence, respect, and leadership skills in young men.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Hatred bases solely in the name of some god, pathetic, sick, twisted, but what do you want from a group of people that worship a symbol of torture and suffering.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM

^^^I know it must be so hard for you. Its hard being so superior isnt it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
We just make it look easy.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I had HORRIBLE experiences with both the boy scouts and the girl scouts growing up. Very exclusive and very 'popularity' based organizations, in my opinion, and I will never recommend them. Why would you put your child in a group where they are openly allowed to discriminate? It doesn't make sense to me...

I always recommend 4H. Inclusive, teaches MORE skills than the scouts and doesn't care what religion or gender you are.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I had HORRIBLE experiences with both the boy scouts and the girl scouts growing up. Very exclusive and very 'popularity' based organizations, in my opinion, and I will never recommend them. Why would you put your child in a group where they are openly allowed to discriminate? It doesn't make sense to me...

I always recommend 4H. Inclusive, teaches MORE skills than the scouts and doesn't care what religion or gender you are.
I've got to give 4H a thumbs up too, for the reasons mentioned and also because it teaches kids where some of their food comes from. I think that's important for informed choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism