Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 PM

105 posts, read 212,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I was an atheist (since birth) long before I ever knew there was a word used to describe my not having a belief in any god
It's better for you because you've avoided many psychological and internal conflicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I was an atheist (since birth) long before I ever knew there was a word used to describe my not having a belief in any god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.E.O View Post
It's better for you because you've avoided many psychological and internal conflicts.
I had the same start as mythunderstood, knew that gods were absurd to the extreme at an early age, just didn't know it was called atheism.

Now after reading many of the horror stories of those that have finally freed themselves from the insanity and abuse of religion, brainwashing by parents, and suffering mental and physical abuse for decades from parents, family, clergy, I now recognize how very true C.E.O's statement is, something I didn't realize that until I starting reading the insanity that is so pervasive in other forum areas.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,828 times
Atheism comes in 2 forms:

1: Agnostic Atheism: One That does not beleive in god but leaves open the possibillity of a deity if evidence shows otherwise.

2: Gnostic Atheism: One that does not beleive in their is a god and comvinced of it.

Many atheists like myself, Richard Dawkins and others say we dont beleive in god and think its a ridiculous concept, but to say there is no chance of there being a god is just foolhardy.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 PM

105 posts, read 212,797 times
Thanks for clarification.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
I'm Agnostic ... not an Atheist

that's ok, there is still hope, for most of us, Atheism wasn't a flash happening, it's like the light slowly coming on. The awareness is quite liberating.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yea, I'm in the same place because "I don't know with certainty" it is the only point of view I can agree with and still be honest with myself.

To me, "Atheist" means means taking the assertion that no god exists, and it is impossible (however unlikely) to prove the non-existence of a deity somewhere in all that is, nor even define what the world "god" specifically means or where "all that is" begins or ends.

We still lack the necessary perspective to come to conclusions.
Well, going back to logic, one does not prove a negative. I simply disbelieve there is sufficient evidence to prove a diety exists. Science answers far more questions than theology. It has been science that creates beneficial drugs to cure maladies, not religion. It is science that adapts seeds to better feed the worlds population, not religion. It is science that has learned to harness the inate power of water and to use that power to produce electricity, not religion. Science has been far more beneficial to mankind than has religion.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Exactly!

C.E.O., you are either a theist or an atheist, even if you are an agnostic. It is a misuse of the word to substitute it for either of the other two. Once and for all: You DON'T have to be sure that there is no god to be an atheist.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Agnosticism does not address "belief" in god/s, it addresses "knowledge". On the spectrum of belief, there are only 2 choices. You either have a belief in god, or you don't. There is no fence sitting. Let's say someone asked you the question "do you believe in god."? If you cannot answer affirmatively "yes, I believe in god", then you are by definition an atheist in regards to belief. You still can claim that you do not "know" whether or not god exists (agnostic), but you additionally would currently be without a belief in one (atheist). That doesn't mean that you don't think gods are "possible", just that you do not currently actively believe in any particular god. All agnostics either have a belief in god (theist/deist) or they don't (atheist). You don't have to choose to be an atheist, or purposely claim the title of atheist, to be one by definition. Sort of like being bald.....

Agnosticism does not say "I don't know if I believe in a god." It says "I believe that god cannot be known". All agnostics still either have a belief in god or not despite their understanding that gods cannot be known. Agnostic theists/deists believe in god despite acknowledging that gods cannot be known. That is why they call it “faith”. Whereas, agnostic atheists acknowledge that gods cannot be known and therefore withhold belief in any until such time as they are presented with any convincing evidence which would make them believe in one.
Well said. That is exactly how I would differentiate between the two, only you articulated it way more eloquently.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I don't beleive anything and don't really care but it's only other people who want to lable me. They can call me whatever they want and it won't change anything.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
http://www.blogthings.com/areyouanatheistagnosticorabelieverquiz/

Here is a fun test to tell you what religion, or in my case, which religions I am not a follower of. Looked like I tested out as and Atheist, which is no big suprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism