Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 2,943 times

Advertisements

From Wikipedia.

The occult (from the Latin word occultus "clandestine, hidden, secret") is "knowledge of the hidden".[1] In common English usage, occult refers to "knowledge of the paranormal", as opposed to "knowledge of the measurable",[2] usually referred to as science. The term is sometimes taken to mean knowledge that "is meant only for certain people" or that "must be kept hidden", but for most practicing occultists it is simply the study of a deeper spiritual reality that extends beyond pure reason and the physical sciences.[3] The terms esoteric and arcane can also be used to describe the occult,[4][5] in addition to their meanings unrelated to the supernatural.

Religion and the occult[edit]

Some religions and sects enthusiastically embrace occultism as an integral esoteric aspect of mystical religious experience. This attitude is common in Wicca and many other modern pagan religions. Some other religious denominations disapprove of occultism in most or all forms. They may view the occult as being anything supernatural or paranormal which is not achieved by or through God (as defined by those religious denominations), and is, therefore, the work of an opposing and malevolent entity. The word has negative connotations for many people, and while certain practices considered by some to be "occult" are also found within mainstream religions, in this context the term "occult" is rarely used and is sometimes substituted with "esoteric".

Christian views[edit]

There is a Christian occult tradition that goes back at least to Renaissance times, when Marsilio Ficino developed a Christian Hermeticism and Pico della Mirandola developed a Christian form of Kabbalism.[23] Mainstream Christianity has always resisted occult influences, which are:[24]

Monistic in contrast to Christian dualistic beliefs of a separation between body and spirit;
Gnostic i.e. involving the acquisition of secret knowledge rather than based on scripture and open church tradition
Seen as involving practices such as divination and calling on spirits which are forbidden in the Bible
Not monotheistic, frequently asserting a gradation of human souls between mortals and God; and
Sometimes not even theistic in character.
Despite this, the churches as institutions have generally regarded occultism as heretical whenever they met this: from early Christian times, in the form of gnosticism, to late Renaissance times, in the form of various occult philosophies.[25]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMarker View Post
From Wikipedia.

The occult (from the Latin word occultus "clandestine, hidden, secret") is "knowledge of the hidden".[1] In common English usage, occult refers to "knowledge of the paranormal", as opposed to "knowledge of the measurable",[2] usually referred to as science. The term is sometimes taken to mean knowledge that "is meant only for certain people" or that "must be kept hidden", but for most practicing occultists it is simply the study of a deeper spiritual reality that extends beyond pure reason and the physical sciences.[3] The terms esoteric and arcane can also be used to describe the occult,[4][5] in addition to their meanings unrelated to the supernatural.
I take it this is a belated response to my question about how "NOTW" is "occult". I am aware of the dual meaning of the word -- as generally understood by fundamentalism it is supernatural things not originating from god, but from Satan, but its more generic meaning is "hidden", "arcane" or "meant for certain people". I think the former usage arose out of the latter, as there's a tendency to associate Satanic supernatural activity with arcane, secretive knowledge or activity.

I can see how "not of this world" could somewhat fit the latter definition as its full meaning is an in-group understanding, almost an "inside joke" if you will, but I cannot see how it would have anything to do with the supernatural.

The prohibition against "the occult" for fundamentalists is generally a prohibition against divination, sorcery and the like, and perhaps a suspicion concerning the more benign and not necessarily supernatural definition of "occult" that probably has more to do with not being aware of the dual meaning than anything else. So I don't see it as "hypocritical" or disingenuous for them to use this slogan. It is simply expressing a held belief that a Christian's true home is in an imaginary sky McMansion. I have in fact not seen it used as a recruiting tactic so much as a method of "exhorting" believers to not be overly attached to the physical world and this life.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 2,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
WWJD with a NOTW bumper sticker?
I would like to make a bumper sticker that says WWJDD (What Would James Dean Do?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism