Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

It's odd how we hear of people trying to "debunk" the Bible, that aren't trying to do the same to the teachings of Buddha...just as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Like I've posted before just because one is able to memorize a cookbook does this mean that he's able to cook a meal.

That is a Great Analogy.

As it stands, I DO know how to cook and I rarely use a cookbook.
I usually don't need one.

Sometimes, I reference one of many, and sometimes I get inspired by one or more, amd sometimes I do a meal entirely on my own, sometimes it turns out great and sometimes not. But at least I try.

I do not however, get mad at the wife and curse her outloud in front of everyone. An for some reason, I am sure that I am NOT the only one here too. I bet there atre many men on this forum who DO NOT abuse their wives. And many of those probaby are not labeling themselves as Christian, at least not Southern Baptists. But as I pointed out, I saw what I saw and heard what I heard with my own eyes. And I was not too impressed.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You wouldn't pick a couple of quotations out of "War and Peace" as evidence you understand the whole book would you?
So I guess all that chaptering and versing they did with the bible was just a waste of time then.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by eddie gein
Quote:
So I guess all that chaptering and versing they did with the bible was just a waste of time then.
Yeah, well to me actions speak louder than quotes.
People can quote the Bible all they want, but if their behaviour (read: actions) do not mirror the message of their quotes it truly is a waste of time then.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No, it wasn't a waste of time and you could do the same thing to "War and Peace," but it still wouldn't mean that quoting a single sentence indicates an understanding of the whole thing.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, it wasn't a waste of time and you could do the same thing to "War and Peace," but it still wouldn't mean that quoting a single sentence indicates an understanding of the whole thing.
That's exactly my point. War and Peace isn't divided into chapter and verse because people aren't trying to quote single sentences to indicate and understanding of the whole.

The fact that the bible is stratified to the degree that it is indicates that people try to glean meaning from small portions of the Bible.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's exactly my point. War and Peace isn't divided into chapter and verse because people aren't trying to quote single sentences to indicate and understanding of the whole.

The fact that the bible is stratified to the degree that it is indicates that people try to glean meaning from small portions of the Bible.

Where is the chapter/verse that tells you to surse out your wife and degrade her if she moves your medicine in an attempt to clean up your home?

And I can go to the Library, pick up a copy of one of several good Biographies about Leo Tolstoy and we can discuss the meaning and the inspiration behind War and Peace, We can talk about events in Tolstoy's life, society, etc motiviations for writing etc We can go on and on and on. We can talk for months about this if we wanted to.
But the person in question, in the original post, cannot discuss with me the origins of the Bible or the socio-mythological ramifications of it because to him, it just magically appeared from God one day. Kind of takes all the fun out of the subject then

Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Ya know, I probably come in contact with christians quite a bit. This is a very small town, I will answer the question that is asked, even if I know they were really trying to find out something else, I only answer the question that is asked. Drives em nuts from time to time.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Ever notice that people who quote the Bible.... lack originality in their opinions. They tend to think as they were taught, few, if any, independent ideas. They were taught not to question.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Ever notice that people who quote the Bible.... lack originality in their opinions. They tend to think as they were taught, few, if any, independent ideas. They were taught not to question.

Yeah, I have noticed that one too. Especially funny when the quotes don't really match the subject and are out of context.

Funny, but it would seem that independant thought is still as discouraged now in the Baptist realm as when I walked out of it some 31 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism