Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To me, however, the crux of the matter is incontrovertible. It is not the product of rational argument, nor expression of faith, but simple historical fact. The faith to which I ascribe has brought substantial light and unique meaning to the world.
Ok, maybe judaism has done this. Perhaps not.

It is a silly thing to base ones deism upon though. Simply because a group of people have a history of accomplishments does not mean that there is a god. The Japanese have accomplished many wonderful things. The classical Romans and Greeks too. Islam was a shining star of knowledge in the 11-14th centuries, with accomplishments in architecture, math, medicine.... Obviously I could go on.

To acknowledge a rich cultural/historical heritage is one thing. But to take that acknowledgment and say "therefore god", and furthermore "eating dairy together with meat is wrong" is simply a failure of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That is not correct. The theist believes in a god or gods, while the atheist does not. It may seem like a minor point, but it isn't.
No, I see your point, but it is one that is rarely recognized by the most ardent defenders of their positions. As a theist, I recognize that there may not be a God, but I believe that there is. I would assume that your position is that there may be a God, but you don't believe that there is. What eats my liver are those that repeatedly declare with certainty that they know one way or the other. On the atheistic side, those that claim to know do so arrogantly and mockingly. On the theistic side, those who claim to know patronize, mock, and insult all the same. I guess it depends on whether there truly is a God to know which of them are insane.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The first commandment is "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". Satan wants to be worshipped as a god. I will not worship Satan, but I don't deny his existence (though I wish I could). God is real, and so is a large spirit world of thousands of lesser spirits.
Using the Bible doesn't prove or answer anything. It was written by men. Your ten commandments were copied off the Egyptian Book of The Dead.
Besides which, there are/were plenty of Gods just as valid as Bible god who also demanded exclusive worship.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
No, I see your point, but it is one that is rarely recognized by the most ardent defenders of their positions. As a theist, I recognize that there may not be a God, but I believe that there is. I would assume that your position is that there may be a God, but you don't believe that there is. What eats my liver are those that repeatedly declare with certainty that they know one way or the other. On the atheistic side, those that claim to know do so arrogantly and mockingly. On the theistic side, those who claim to know patronize, mock, and insult all the same. I guess it depends on whether there truly is a God to know which of them are insane.
A theist believes in god or some kind of deity and is religious. An atheist is one who does not believe in god and does not subscribe to any religious belief (s) and lives religion free. I know, for sure, that I am an atheist as I do not believe in any god and I do not have any involvement with religion in any way. You could call me a radical atheist.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ok, maybe judaism has done this. Perhaps not.

It is a silly thing to base ones deism upon though. Simply because a group of people have a history of accomplishments does not mean that there is a god. The Japanese have accomplished many wonderful things. The classical Romans and Greeks too. Islam was a shining star of knowledge in the 11-14th centuries, with accomplishments in architecture, math, medicine.... Obviously I could go on.

To acknowledge a rich cultural/historical heritage is one thing. But to take that acknowledgment and say "therefore god", and furthermore "eating dairy together with meat is wrong" is simply a failure of intelligence.
That is a great post, Fishbrains!

Every religion and culture has contributed to make our civilization what it is.

Of course, I understand it when people brag about their culture because I think our American system of government is the best in the history of the world.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Another theist, who talks as if he has never heard any of the arguments against his position, unfortunately, this seems to be quite common among theist..

Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
What eats my liver are those that repeatedly declare with certainty that they know one way or the other.
That's a good point, Georgia. I was riding the train home from work with one of my Christian friends, and he said he "knew" his Christian beliefs were true.

I thought it was kind of amusing. Why is it so important for some people to always be right?

In fact, I find it boring to be around people who agree with me. What can I learn from them? In a discussion with a liberal Democrat, I feel alive!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
[URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yenta"]Yentas[/URL] are usually female, but in this case I'll make an exception.

"To define oneself as simply agnostic (which I believe you truly are) sounds unsatisfingly wishy-washy and degrades your ability to take a firm stand against deism, in its various forms. While this is certainly understandable, I suspect that you have traded accuracy for titular intensity."

I think the rabbi should just attend to his own business and not presume to know what is going on in the minds of atheists.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Yentas are usually female, but in this case I'll make an exception.

"To define oneself as simply agnostic (which I believe you truly are) sounds unsatisfingly wishy-washy and degrades your ability to take a firm stand against deism, in its various forms. While this is certainly understandable, I suspect that you have traded accuracy for titular intensity."

I think the rabbi should just attend to his own business and not presume to know what is going on in the minds of atheists.
I agree, but he *claims* that he was an atheist.

Quote:
Having spent a sizable portion of my life as an atheist, I understand your perspective. What I have found hard to understand from my new vantage point, however, is why so many of you spend so much time trolling around the comments section of religiously-themed blogs or spend good money to buy billboards on the Jersey Turnpike asserting a negative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism