Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are off topic. In any case who died and made you the grammar police?

I think I'd call one of those numbers and tell them how wrong they are...Apparently the person who placed the ad has not read much, if anything on evolution.
I talked with someone locally, they called and they want you to watch some video that's apparently really ridiculous.

My friends tell me I should call, but while I'm familiar with the theory of evolution up to a point I know others who would do a lot better confronting them. Unfortunately my friend who would do the best job is in Australia, with how much the call would cost him I don't think it would be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are off topic. In any case who died and made you the grammar police?

I disagree. The OP is about "I don't really want to get into it with people who don't even have a decent grasp of the English language" as well as the idea that some Christians think evolution is poor science.

Second, as a card carrying member of the Grammar Nazis of America* it is my duty to call out those who critize others for a less than perfect "grasp" of the English language all the while using poor grammar or commiting spelling errors.

*Happy April first!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:07 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I talked with someone locally, they called and they want you to watch some video that's apparently really ridiculous.

My friends tell me I should call, but while I'm familiar with the theory of evolution up to a point I know others who would do a lot better confronting them. Unfortunately my friend who would do the best job is in Australia, with how much the call would cost him I don't think it would be worth it.
I'd let anyone who has a formal education in biology handle these people and not worry about it beyond that.

They would make these people look like fools, sorta like what happens around here when the topic comes up and fundies get in over their heads.

Not that it will matter. They'll just go back to the old "deny, deny, deny" phase and keep on believing whatever they currently do.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post

The use of my preposition at the end of a sentence was grammatically accurate.

Ending a Sentence With a Preposition : Grammar Girl :: Quick and Dirty Tips â„¢

Opinions differ!!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I disagree. The OP is about "I don't really want to get into it with people who don't even have a decent grasp of the English language" as well as the idea that some Christians think evolution is poor science.

Second, as a card carrying member of the Grammar Nazis of America* it is my duty to call out those who critize others for a less than perfect "grasp" of the English language all the while using poor grammar or commiting spelling errors.
In the English language there is no 'Z' in the word "Criticise."

Oh....and the word "committing" has a double 'M' and a double 'T'.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:55 AM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
This thread is epic.

It starts out as a troll fest on organized religion and then it becomes a grammar war in the ranks.

THE GAME!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Poor Science? Yea like they know ANYTHING about real science. Give me a break.
What do you expect when their science book was written thousands of years ago by men that thought the earth to be flat, had no idea at all why people got sick and died, and didn't even have a clue why the sun rose and set every day.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
People who end sentences with a preposition and use single digit numerals in a sentence should not be critical of other people's "grasp" of the English language.
Ahhhh; smell the desperation to divert the unsavory topic of blatant ignorance exhibited by believers by resorting childish personal attacks on the messenger.

(dang couldn't figure out how to phrase that to end in a preposition )

Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ahhhh; smell the desperation to divert the unsavory topic of blatant ignorance exhibited by believers by resorting childish personal attacks on the messenger.

(dang couldn't figure out how to phrase that to end in a preposition )
I really have no issue with evolution. Seems to be a process. Part of life.

I do have issues with small minded people. People (the messenger) who have a limited "grasp" of the English language saying that certain Lutherans have a limited grasp of the English language. Only just to take a "cheap shot"....

If one is going do said "cheap shot", then PLEEZE be perfect in your grammar. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
In the English language there is no 'Z' in the word "Criticise."

Oh....and the word "committing" has a double 'M' and a double 'T'.
Right you are.

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-02-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
As for all teh gramma

It amazes me that folk still mix up;

there
their
they're

I learned at junior school what the difference is and just wonder if in the USA what do they teach their err.. they're err.. there.

I have been on a site where a teacher misused the correct spelling so maybe it is a bad habit passed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism